Tuesday, February 19, 2008

American Idol Guys Do the 60s

Anybody else think it's kind of weird that this was a 60s show without any Beatles tunes?

Paula was in full la-la mode tonight, which is highly entertaining. I love it when she doesn't know exactly what to say and stammers, "You know [insert contestant's name], you're up there ... and you're just ... you're up there, and you're doin' your thing; and you're up there ... and ... you move me."

I thought she was going to break into "True Colors" when she was going on about seeing all of the contestants' colors. It made me want to say, "Paula, you know; you're up there, and ... you're just doin' your judgin' thing, and you're just out there, you know, really really out there, and I love you for your 'out thereness.'"

My least favorite performance tonight? Easy, Breezy, Chikezie Eze. I thought he definitely seemed like a former Carnival Cruise Line entertainer. Least favorite personality: Danny Noriega.

I really liked Jason Castro's rendition of "Daydream." He's very humble and therefore likeable and most importantly, talented. Do you think he looks a tad like John Travolta?

And although I have been a fan of Michael Johns so far, I didn't like tonight's performance so much. I thought he was vocally pushing the performance, almost yelling at times.

So my first pick tonight is that adorable boy, David Archuleta. That kid has natural vocal genius. How do his parents stand it? How do they not rush the stage and hug him? My favorite moment of the night was when Ryan was teasing David about the girls liking him and people adopting him, and he was so taken aback that he elbowed Ryan a couple of times, which amused Ryan, who elbowed him back. He's just such a real kid who doesn't seem full of himself at all.

And now you know my opinion--which sprang forth maturely developed from my head pretty much like Athena from Zeus, just like that--my opinion based on my well-informed, expert musical judging ability. I, who, the last time I sang a duet in my little home church when I was about 10, completely messed up and sang harmony when that was not my part, and when my duet partner, assuming I would stay with harmony switched to melody, was mortified to find my voice chasing her back there, as well. I never sang in public again.

Except in my car, really loud, to REO and Carly Simon. 'Cause you know, I'm just out there, drivin' my car ... out there, drivin', givin' it my all, showing all my colors and, well, just moving myself.

18 comments:

Ruthie said...

Yes! John Travolta! If you could see my notebook, where I keep track of all the contestants, that's exactly what I wrote. I agree--I adore David Archuleta. Hands down, the most adorable and talented guy in the contest. And while Michael Johns is the most hunky, I agree, too, that he sounded a bit strained. Biggest surprise to me was how much I liked Robbie Carrico's performance. I don't have high hopes for our Hoosier, though...

dcrmom said...

I still like Michael Johns, but I agree that it wasn't his best performance. And David is a cutie. I liked Robbie's performance a lot too.

Kim said...

I KNEW I could come over to your "house" and read AI! :) This is a year I don't want to miss a single episode! YAY 3 Hoosiers! Only I'm not so sure Mr. Luke did so hot tonight. sad faces... :(

But doggone if that little cutie patootie David A. isn't just the cat's meow! I just wanna squish him! I also totally agree with you about Jason Castro...very very talented and likable.

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

The funnest part (I know funnest is not a real word) was watching Simon's physical gyrations while Paula was slurring all over herself. I may have seen him slap himself in the head. Twice. And "That was grotesque" was far and above my favorite Simon comment.

Any you know, 99 per cent of the time he's dead on.

Excellent review, girlfriend. I mean, dawg, or dude. Whatever.

Darlene R. said...

I'm sad because I missed it! Man!

Laura said...

I didn't even read your post. If you read mine for today, you'll know why.

Just want you to get some comment love. :)

Teri said...

But the REAL question Linda, is what color are you as you are jammin to REO?

BTW: David A is my favorite too. He is truly gifted.

Can't deal with Danny. Get.Him.Out. (Not that his voice is terrible...but his attitude of non-humility is grating on me.)

I think that is why I like David A. so much, he is confident, yet humble.

My $.02.

Amy Wyatt said...

I couldn't agree more with your assessment! David A. is by far my favorite. Can't wait to see the girls tonight.

Susanne said...

Theme nights on the top 24? Is that new? Did I miss where they talked about that? We thought that was sorta unfair. Save the themes for the top 12 on stage. This is where they should be singing anything they want that they feel will get them into the top 12. Oh well, anyhoo.

Yup, David and Michael were my faves and the first guy. I really like the long haired kid, too. Could've cried for him when Simon totally knocked him down. I hope he's back to prove himself a bit. Definitely the guy in the orange suit needs to go tonight.

Melanie said...

I haven't started watching yet and have no idea who is who or whom or whatever, whomever...

But, Noriega and Castro? Does this not stand out to anyone else? Maybe it's why Fidel finally stepped down...

Cindy Swanson said...

My definite favorites among the guys: David Hernandez, David Archuleta, Jason Castro and Michael Johns. Otherwise, I almost thought I had accidentally stumbled into the girls' night. I don't think I ever seen so much effiminacy (effimateness?) among the Idol guys. Danny Noriega makes Sanjaya look like Conan the Barbarian.

Sister Honey Bunch said...

I was at Bible Study last night! I am totally going to miss the men this season.

Lelia Chealey said...

Too funny Linda. Paula is very entertaining it's almost sad at her age. Simon always seems to put her in her place.
Loved your comments about that Chikezie guy. I told my kids he reminded me of Isaac from the Love Boat. Remember the bartender? You'll have to do a side by side face shot of them!
Thanks for the laughs...again!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Jason Castro is getting the votes here because he is an Aggie.

Praise and Coffee said...

LOL!
That is a perfect synopsis of Paula!

Love the Carly Simon too!

Sue

DidiLyn said...

Girls are on tonight. Can't wait to see and hear how they do. I like David A. the best, too. My husband picked him as his fave to win. Which started quite the argument as you can imagine,as the girls still need to sing. Off I go for more flu meds, dang it.
Diane

marina said...

I must be the only one who didn't see these show!! But, you had me there when You where writing about Paul yes the Beatle!! he is right there!!!! marina

Julie said...

Dawg, I LOVE David A. and Brooke. Two very gifted singers, yet very humble.

PAULA DRIVES ME NUTS! Is that the best they can find?