Thursday, February 07, 2008

Friday Fun

Before the fun, I want to say that my heart and prayers go out to those across the south who are victims of the latest barage of tornadoes. Most amazing is the story of the baby boy who was blown across his street while his house collapsed. He lost his mother in this tornado. Please pray for him and for those who will have to continue to re-build their lives long after houses, schools and churches are re-constructed.

I also want to say that my Internet service is on the blink, so if you're trying to reach me, in the words of the 1970s TV series "Starsky and Hutch" icon and sometime pop singer David Soul, "Don't Give Up on [Me], Baby." How did I get this post up? It's a secret.

**************************************
Well, it's Friday, the end of the week, in my opinion. I love Fridays, and that's not a commercial. Saturday means house cleaning; Sunday means church and lifegroup or Oneighty; and Monday means ... Monday. So I love fancy-free Friday evening, from a personal selfish standpoint, which also happens to be my favorite standpoint because I'm deeply deep.

Puzzling comment(s) of the week: You know how on Thursday Thirteen you post your list and then comment at the TT site on what you wrote about? Well, this week I listed 13 favorite quotes from LOST, my new raison d'etre. I got about 20 comments on that post from people who intentionally linked to me from TT who do not normally visit here. Here's the kicker: nearly half of the comments went something like this: "I can't do this quiz because I don't watch this show. I never liked it. So I'm not answering." Huh? It's like I grabbed the commenter by the wrist and pulled him somewhere he really didn't want to go (my site) and then forced him to read my words. Oh well.

Favorite comment on my site this week: [I wish I knew who to attribute this to. I've searched my comments on my latest posts and my email messages, but I cannot find it or remember who said it, so if it was you, let me know!] **Edit: See comments below to reveal this commenter's identity.

Regarding my post called Old Happens, which speaks to the natural phenomenon of thighs sliding down our legs and other aging atrocities, one commenter said (paraphrasing), "I don't know why, but when I was in high school, my mother told me that I looked like Ted Koppel."

Well, dear Reader, I don't believe a satisfactory explanation exists for this kind of crazed attack, except that maybe it was the day her menopause kicked in AND she got a bad haircut AND an eviction notice AND the McDonald's employee messed up her drive though order AGAIN. And then maybe you made an off-hand, smart-alecky high schooler remark which proved to be her tipping point, so she glanced around the room desperately looking for some way to unleash her consuming exasperation, and Nightline just happened to be on, and so she yelled, "And you ... why, you look just like ... Ted Koppel!"

Nah. There is no excuse for this. I am as sure that you do not look like Ted Koppel as I am of the overnight two pound weight gain that greets me every morning.

Dear Reader, no one looks like Ted Koppel except for Hermie the Elf. [You aren't Hermie, are you?]













And now I leave you with a cutting-edge current event: Oh maaaaan! Bert has dropped out of the race! I firmly believe that "Ernie" drove him to it, don't you? If you've got two minutes, you'll see the shocking expose of how Ernie Huckabee silenced Bert Romney.


9 comments:

Melanie said...

You are on a roll, girl!

Lelia Chealey said...

So funny about the quiz and the no interest commenter...people are so strange!! My husband is a huge LOST fan!
Have a fantastic weekend. Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my post about my sis-in-law. It was such a quick, tragic death.

Well, on a lighter note...enjoy your Friday night!!
Love ya,
Lelia

A Stone Gatherer said...

I'll have to look at the Thursday Thirteen quiz on "Lost"! The only thing is I try stay away from talk about it until after I've seen it. You see I'm so old and tired my husband and I can't stay up to watch it so we tape it and eventually get around to watching it by Sunday! I agree I don't know why someone would come just to put that comment on your blog! I myself being the honest person I am just go away and not say anything! Oh and I have a mother quote too: "Kim, you probably won't be a good wife or mother, your to stuck in your ways!" THANKS MOM! No really I'm over it now, because I think I'm doing a pretty good job with God running the show! Got wordy didn't I! Have a great Friday!

Roxanne said...

Hilarious. . .my kids are home "sick" today. . .long story over on my blog later. They loved the You Tube as did I.

Darlene R. said...

Sesame Street just makes me smile. I can't help it!
Have a wonderfully fun Friday!

Seized by Hope said...

Loved the Ted Koppel/Hermie the Elf comparison. Classic!

Mocha with Linda said...

Unfortunately, I get to claim the Ted Koppel quote. :-{ I actually put it in the comments for your Feb 5 post "Humor is a Funny Thing"...

I've never let my mom live that one down!!!

samurai said...

I love Bert and Ernie... and I am loving the comparisons. \o

Ann said...

Yes, things are getting REAL interesting, now that Bert's dropped out. Gotta love Ernie!