Sunday, February 10, 2008

How TV Shows Influence Me

As I've said before, TiVo is a beautiful thing. You can set up season passes to your favorite programs and request that every Cary Grant movie be recorded. And that is worth the cost of TiVo itself. Did I mention you can zip through commercials? Priceless.

I've noticed that long after some programs are over, their influence stays with me, although I'm not consciously thinking about them. I'm just going through my day, when I realize once again I have time and space and not-reality traveled to a place where I am IN the show.

For example, a new season pass that I have is for Animal Planet's Orangutan Island. By the way, I always pronounced this "o-rang-u-tang," which if you really think about it, sounds a little like "Orange Tang." Why did I think that was correct?

Anyway, I watched three episodes last night in a row. I've come to know some of these island residents, one or two by sight. I am falling in love, and that is the plan of the producers.

The whole time you're watching, the narrator, who sounds a little like LeVar Burton of Reading Rainbow [Yes, he has had other memorable roles, but really Reading Rainbow was the pinnacle of his career despite his "flashier" roles in Roots and Star Trek, if you ask me], is completely anthropomorphizing these animals, attributing all kinds of emotions to them. I don't know if they are really feeling all these things, but I want to believe that they are. Because I also want to believe that Zoe feels all of these complex emotions. So it's an easy leap for me to believe that "Reno" the orangutan is a mischievous adolescent who's climbing the social ladder of power. Let me interpret: this simply means he is the current owner of the precious empty water bottle that was floating down the muddy river. All of the orangutans on the block want one. Kind of like your teenager wanting the latest cell phone.

Later on, I was eating a grapefruit that I had cut into wedges, and when I had a piece fit horizontally to my mouth, I felt I was channeling Reno, although he is not dead. Yes, for the first time in my life except for when I went to prom, I felt like an orangutan.

LOST. I dream about it all the time. Soon I will write the post that explains why this show has taken such a prominent place in my thoughts, right next to Zoe and chocolate and gas prices and wondering what my college kids are doing (which I actually do not want to know.)

Last night I dreamed that one of the characters, Ben, slapped my husband in the back and broke his vertebrae. And when I punch in the numbers for our home security system at the keypad, I remember the mysterious numbers. (NOTE to burglars: The LOST numbers do do not work on our system. But if you do decide to get in a steal, do NOT steal TiVo or my dog. Or I will hunt you down and kill you. That is also how this show has influenced me.) Oh, one more thing, I have decided that if I ever get attacked, I'm going to head-butt my attacker as hard as I can because it seems that every character in this show has done this at one time or another, and they are faring pretty well, except for Chollie, who looks better dead than alive, if you like clean.

I've got more, but why unload them all at once? I mean, I've given you a lot of heavy stuff to think about here, right on a Sunday. Please do not let this post crowd out thoughts of your pastor's sermon. I'm guessing he'd have all kinds of narrated feelings about that.

13 comments:

Susanne said...

You felt like an orangutan at your prom? I sense a good post in that sentence.

It's really spelt with no "g" on the end. I'm in shock. I've been saying and spelling it with a g all these years. I better watch the show and learn something.

Amy Wyatt said...

I agree, Charlie "Chollie" does look better dead than alive. I'm just glad he's still on. I couldn't bear to see him go.

Praise and Coffee said...

You are so fun!!!

Orange Tang, what a hoot!

Sue

Susan said...

I can't say that show has been at the top of my TiVo list, but I may have to add it after this post.

And, Linda, I am waiting with great anticipation to hear the "rest of the list".

Hugs,

Susan

marina said...

Linda, I have never seen the show but now you hae me asking what time and when?lost?
I too have a lot to up load about THE WOMEN OF FAITH how can I narrow it down it was so good. And Micael W. Smith all I have to say is WOW!!
bot onyl is he CUTE!!CUTE!!did I say CUTE!! he can sing!! please pray I can get my thoughts in order I did take notes but it was toooooo,much,love you,marina

redapes said...

Hi--

Glad to hear you like 'Orangutan Island' so much. You will be pleased to know that it has been signed for a second season!

I'd like to invite you and your readers to visit the Orangutan Outreach website. We are a non-profit organization based in New York with the goal of raising awareness of the plight of wild orangutans and raising funds to support our projects in Borneo. The orangutans featured on "Orangutan Island' all live at Nyaru Menteng, our main orangutan rehabilitation center in Indonesia. We currently have over 650 orangutans... and all the help we can get!

Please visit our website http://redapes.org and maybe even adopt our baby orangutans!! I promise you will fall in love with each and every one of them!

Thanks for your support, Rich

Richard Zimmerman
Director, Orangutan Outreach
http://redapes.org
Reach out and save the orangutans!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

I have kinda purposely not tivoed this show because I KNEW I would get addicted to it. Going, why am I watching this? Why? Don't I have better things to do? all the while.

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

girl..

what are you smokin????

You are so funny..

I am looking for my best friend a dog... maybe she will be attached to "it" like you are your baby..

Talk to you soon... I'm hoping to be back in touch with the world again now...

Connie

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

girl..

what are you smokin????

You are so funny..

I am looking for my best friend a dog... maybe she will be attached to "it" like you are your baby..

Talk to you soon... I'm hoping to be back in touch with the world again now...

Connie

Tammy said...

Love it! :D
(and now I have the Reading Rainbow theme song playing in my head!)

I actually haven't watched Lost or "Orange Tang" Island...LOL...but last summer I watched High School Musical so much I was actually trying to figure out the complexities of each main character... Uhem.

Lelia Chealey said...

This paragraph you wrote made me laugh so hard...

Last night I dreamed that one of the characters, Ben, slapped my husband in the back and broke his vertebrae. And when I punch in the numbers for our home security system at the keypad, I remember the mysterious numbers. (NOTE to burglars: The LOST numbers do do not work on our system. But if you do decide to get in a steal, do NOT steal TiVo or my dog. Or I will hunt you down and kill you.

Thanks for the laugh sister & I don't even watch LOST. My husband does though....do you still think I'm cool if you ever did? :) lol...

KarenW said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm loving yours. We are big LOST fans here at my house. We all loved Charlie and were so sad when he died. I hope he makes more appearances.

Ann said...

This was a fun post, but all I could think of after reading it was, "Yay! I'm not the only one who has weird dreams and remembers them!"

So are you all caught up on Lost now? Your comment about Charlie looking better dead than alive leads me to believe you are :) That was a very nice haircut he had, wasn't it? I feel yucky right now, so I'm drawing a blank and can't even remember where they left us on last week's episode. But I recorded it too, I should watch again for a refresher. I hope you're having a great week, staying warm, and keeping healthy :)