Thursday, February 14, 2008

Idol Tongues



“THIS… is a MERICAN Idol.”

Don’t you love the way Ryan says that?

So now we have our top 24. You who are squeamish about dismal performances can breathe again and actually open your eyes and come out from behind that pillow.

Those of us who have been watching since show one can feel our team loyalty juices starting to flow. I already have favorites; do you? And none of them have blue tongues.

Yes, you read that right. Blue tongues. Or greenish. Did anyone else notice that when several contestants held long notes that their tongues had a strange hue?

Are they giving out blue popsicles back stage?

If I were one of the blue-tongued ones, I would just be dying. Here you are on national television, having the moment of your life, and you go to belt out Bryan Adams “Everything I Do,” and you look like a 7 year-old at the school carnival. I could not pay full attention to the performances for looking at those strange tongues and wondering why, in such a big-ticket production, somebody somewhere didn’t say, “Bring in the tongue scraper!”

Back to favorites. Mine are:

Brooke White (She’s the Carole Kingish blonde who has never seen an R rated movie [I wonder if she’s from the denomination I grew up in?]) and Michael Johns (the Aussie who is so good he’ll probably get a contract whether he wins or not) and David Archuleta, the 17 year-old who has a history of vocal cord problems but has the smoothest voice. I also like David Hernandez. Someone named Luke Menard is from Crawfordsville, Indiana, but I have no idea who he is. But, he's a Hoosier and all that, so Rah-Rah.

I don’t care for Carly Smithson, the Irish girl. At first her tattoos and crazy riffs and runs distracted me, but last night her green tongue was the weirdest thing of all. And Amanda Overmyer of Mulberry, Indiana, is the stereotypical rocker chick. Everyone’s ga-ga over her Janis Joplin sound, but Simon said, and I agree, that you already know how every song of hers will sound—like Janis Joplin. But since she's a Hoosier, Rah.


In the very first show, I really liked Kristy Lee Cook who sang Amazing Grace a capella (albeit with too many vocal acrobatics for my taste). She seemed so unassuming and beautiful and talented. At the end of the show, each contestant did an impromptu dance as the voice-over announced the 24, and when Kristy Lee busted her moves, I was embarrassed. It was raunchy. Hard to reconcile those moves with Amazing Grace.

The big news of the night was the shut-down of Josiah Leming, the 16 year-old living in his car, traveling around trying to make a name for himself, crying in every episode. The poor kid cried when he was happy, grateful, sad … it just became hard to take. He was a little on the cocky side and had an affected British accent which was hilarious, but still, I’m a mom, and it hurt me to see him hurt when they cut him loose. I’m all soft like that, ya know.

Anyway, it’s another season of quirky personalities, great talent (although some disagree), and the hyperboly-est hyperbole, with Randy and Paula being behind certain contestants “one billion” “one hundred million” “one trillion” “one hundred million trillion” percent.

Ahh, it just doesn’t get better than that. Except for this:



and this:













and this.

17 comments:

Carol said...

Yay!! NOW I can watch American Idol! I agree 100 million percent with your faves!

~Carol (i throw like a girl)

Teri said...

I agree with your assessment 100% (Or 100 million %)

Your favorites are my favorites. The Amazing Grace/raunchy dance, yikes. I adore Brooke White. She is so sweet! I did like the rocker guy with the triangle on his chin.

Anyway, the tongue thing was pretty funny...my thought was possibly powerade or some sort of drink.

Anyway, yay for AI!

Barbara H. said...

I like Michael the best with David as a second. I'm not that crazy about any of the girls, but the one whose father died right before her first audition and Brooke are probably favorites.

Didn't care for the green tongues either. I thought maybe it was a new rocker thing. I don't know.

I felt the same about Josiah. I'm kind of worried about him.

What did you think about Kyle, the curly-haired geeky kid? I thought he was sweet and had an ok voice, but I was afraid if he was put through he'd be this year's Sanjaya. What I'm amazed by is Simon's telling him "I wish I had what you had." I wonder what he meant.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

BethAnne said...

I have watched Idol from the beginning and this is the first year I have noticed the tongue affliction. Mints? Kool-Aid? Couldnt figure it out!

We were pulling for the guy who lives in his car too because he is from about an hour down the road from us.

The one thing I am happy for this season is that Sanjaya is not there. I really couldnt take another season of that - I mean really!

Susanne said...

I'm behind your post one hundred trillion percent! Your top three are my top three.

What's with Simon this year? He actually seems like he has a heart, giving Paula what for for torturing certain individuals dragging out their outcome, and totally supporting that nerdy, politician kid at the end. He seems softer this year.

Hey if you think blue tongues is weird you need to watch Oprah today. She'll be having a guy on who's skin turned and stayed blue, dark blue.

Heth said...

It's gonna be good times.

Darlene R. said...

I missed the last show, but I have been watching since day one. I like your picks. The roll n' roll nurse is not really my taste, but I have to say rah with you because of the whole hoosier thing!

This is going to be a fun year!

samurai said...

It must be Idol season again... LOL...

Have a blessed weekend.

Alana said...

What WAS with the blue tongues? Weird!

I'm loving idol so far this season.

I just read in an article today that Carly has actually had a record deal before. Check it out here...

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/13980/irish-idol-smithsons-secret-past

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

Get out of my head!!!!!

I'm in complete agreement. You just typed exactly everything I've been thinking. Except I like the rocker chick.

So far, my favorite "Simon" comment has been, "I'd like you. If I was drunk."

Sigh. How long has it been since I've heard those words..........

Julie said...

I'm sorry I just don't know how much more of PAULA I can take. Can't they get someone to replace her like Gladys Knight or Tina Turner or the girl from the Mama's and Papa's, but not Cher????

She's just about to drive me CRAZY!!!!

I too like the ones you like. Except that there is that one girl that lost her voice. She was awesome! And I do like the girl who lost her father before the first audition.

Can't wait to watch!

Praise and Coffee said...

Brooke is my absolute favorite!!
I have not watched the last few seasons, but I am hooked this time- what amazing talent!

Sue

Fran said...

I love all your fave's!! And these pictures at the end of the post....the girl crying....oh, I know shes a teenager but oh bless her heart.

marina said...

I love your picking!!marina

Amy Wyatt said...

I have to say I totally agree also with your assessment. I even mentioned the blue tongues to my husband too. What was up with that? Michael Johns lived in Buckhead Ga at one time and one of my husband's friends knows him. She says he is "yummy" to look at. I don't know if I totally agree with that but I do like to listen to him. Queen is definitely hard to sing. I'm a Hoosier too. Did my graduate work at IU in '93.

Jen said...

We like the same ones except I like rocker Amanda...I like her look and she is so laid back. Relaxed I guess.

ellen b. said...

Well I'm glad someone else noticed the tongues! What was that???
I was wondering if it was some throat spray, anyway it was distracting to me. :)
I love watching American Idol. I'm also impressed with Simons improved behavior this round...