Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Power Outage

"We-elllllll, there's a winter storm a 'blowin across the Heartland today" (this is a folk song I'm making up as I go along in the spirit of one of my favorite movies, "A Mighty Wind.")

Yes, there's a winter storm a 'blowin across the Heartland today
Keepin' me from my daily Internet play--No way!

Not havin' my Internet service makes me holler, "Heidy-Ho-Hey!"
"Why is it so freakin' cold here; in Texas, it's like May."

No Internet,
No Internet.
Yes, no Internet today.

(Bring it down a notch now to a poignant whisper:)

If I had one Comcast question,
Oh, I'd just like to say
Why don't they adjust my outrageous bill ...
so I don't have to pay!

for

(Play it ROWDY now!)

No Internet,
No Internet
No Internet today!

So, if I don't come round to see you
I did not pass away
But there's no Internet, no Internet
In my Heartland hoooooome today.

See ya real soon!


College Daughter reminded me this weekend how much I love this song from the movie. If this completely cracks you up, we are soul sisters.

14 comments:

Melanie said...

I already knew we were soul sisters! Please tell me you love Spinal Tap and Best In Show.

Linda said...

Oh Melanie, if only you knew. Yes, politcal incorrectness and all, I love them. But my very, very favorite is Waiting for Guffman. I heart Corky with all my heart.

Debbie said...

"There's a smelly old blanket that a Navajo wove" - Nope! They don't write lyrics like that anymore......

LOL

Susanne said...

Who knew you were a country bumpkin at heart! You learn something new everyday! Tell me you watched "hee haw" when you were little!

Marmee said...

EA....A......OE"S! It's a part of our family's vernacular.

Although the kids never actually saw the movie, we had the soundtrack. AND watched SOME of the DVD extras. My daughter does a really good Jennifer Coolidge impersonation of "You funny joke man" that she'll only do for us, no one else.

Yeah, we speak Might Wind!! And Best in Show. And Waiting for Guffman. I even liked the latest one, but I can't remember it's name.

Teresa said...

We just got our power back on yesterday after 48 hours without! I had internet at work, but nothing at home. It was 47 degrees in my house when I came to work yesterday. That made me holler "heidy-ho-hey!" (especially when I took that cold shower!)

Darlene R. said...

I'm laughing...I've never heard that before. It sounds like the music we used to listen to driving down the road to Alabama to see family when I was young. My dad loved this stuff!

You have some mad song writing skillz, girl!
Oh, my cookie dough is chillin' in the fridge. It was so easy! Thanks!

Mocha with Linda said...

That is pretty funny. Can't believe I'd never heard it before.

BethAnne said...

Absolutely hilarious!

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I have no idea what you're talking about.

But you still made me laugh out loud.

That's Northern humor for you. ;-)

T said...

the closest I've ever gotten is "o Brother Where art thou".

Nicholas said...

That's from one of my fave films. I love all of Christopher Guest's works.

Souls sisters? How about soul siblings?

PJ said...

This reminds me of the songs from "O Brother, Where Art Thou" -- I knew every song in that movie!!! It was almost embarrassing!

annie's eyes said...

I've seen several times people distinguish between "northern" humor and southern--I'm just going to say when I see funny, I know it, and I'm Southern down to mah pea-pickin' toes, and you really are stinkin' hilarious. Thank you for the smiles--and you keep singin' now, ya hear? annie