Saturday, February 09, 2008

Romeo Gets a Bath

Y'all (tryin' it out for size) remember when I posted about how Big Mama and I have the same identical ceramic rooster? Yeah, I know; that was a big day for me, too, not just you.

Normally, I'd link to the person about whom I'm speaking, but to link to Big Mama is like writing about President Bush and linking to the White House. Kind of overkill.

Oh well: Big Mama.

Anyway.

My rooster sits in a spot where my kitchen counter top ends and refrigerator begins. At that precise spot, there is a giant "oops" in my wallpapering skills, so Romeo sits there blocking the decorative disaster. He's not just beautiful; he's functional.

So sometimes [every time], when I use my mixer, Romeo gets splattered with cookie dough, brownie mix, cake mix or cheesecake filling, because my best main courses usually involve mixing sugar, eggs, butter and flour. The exception to that is a dish I rely on consisting of flakes and milk.

So, into the sink he goes, just like I put my little dog in the mud sink to bathe her. Romeo has a lot of crooks and crevices, especially around the base and derriere, so I have to really get in there, including under the tail, and scrub that rooster. And that is a sentence I never thought I'd type.

The irony is, today I am baking for a friend's daughter's 16th birthday party and for a church thing. I'm doing A LOT of baking today. I can't bear moving him out of the way because the glaring mistake makes me so mad at myself the whole time I'm standing there. So maybe I should put a slicker and boots on my rooster. And that sentence tops the other for weirdest sentence I've ever typed.

12 comments:

Fran said...

You know that Romeo will never be the same after all that scrubbing!

Enjoy the baking!

Teresa said...

Love your rooster! I don't have that one, but I do have a few in my kitchen. I didn't want to go overboard, but I wanted to highlight my kitchen with roosters. The idea came because our neighbor has real roosters and I get to hear them crow throughout the day. They make me smile. :o)

Big Mama said...

My identical rooster, Jose, sits right by my stove and gets covered in grease.

You have no idea how hard it is to get grease off a rooster. (And there's the sentence I never thought I'd say)

Melanie said...

Don't tell the Union, but I think you have crossed over to the other side- "Y'all, baking for church, and bathing a rooster" all in one post.

Susanne said...

If Zoe could read about the scrubbing the rooster gets I bet she'd be a tad bit nervous. ;v)

Susan said...

I love this post, Linda. It's very funny. I'm picturing all those decorative geese that people have on their porches or in their gardens. You can buy clothes for them, so why not for Romeo???

Too funny!

:-) Susan

T said...

Rooster bathing... interesting topic. and hilarious.

Chris said...

Hahhhaaaa! Linda, thank you for the laugh of the day!!! Scrub the rooster!! Quirky! Funny! And good clean fun, may I add?

Roxanne said...

Not one thing to do with Romeo, but when I was walking on the middle school track last night, there was a father and son practicing Lacrosse--just throwing the ball back and forth. They've been out there practicing other sports before, and they always have their dogs--a HUGE golden retriever, and a teeny-weeny Zoe-dog. Last night as I had to try not to step on the speck of canine I kept hoping that in addition to not being stepped on, it would not be "Reboed" by a Lacrosse ball.

Mocha with Linda said...

Lysa Terkeurst has a glove you could probably borrow....

Your discretion whether you use it for the rooster or the baking.

Kelly @ Love Well said...

I read this post yesterday (couldn't comment at the time as I was nursing), and I can't quite get the visual out of my head.

Scrubbing the rooster would make a great name for a rock group, don't you think?

DidiLyn said...

Oh you are so funny. Not wanting to overdo it by back linking to Big Mama. And then doing it?? Bahahahahaa!
Diane