Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Thursday Thirteen Sweet Love Songs and Eugene Field


OK, these are not the greatest songs ever written or performed, artistically speaking. So what. I wanted to highlight 13 really sweet, upbeat pop songs about love--save the ballads for another time. When these sweety-sweet goofy songs come on the radio, I smile and sing along. They're they kind of song that gets stuck in the groove of your brain for a day or two. Ready?

13. Sugar Sugar - The Archies
12. The Things We Do for Love - 10cc
11. Happy Together - The Turtles
10. Every Little Thing She Does is Magic - The Police
09. Laughter in the Rain - Neil Sedaka
08. Love Will Keep us Together - The Captain and Tennille
07. You are the Woman - Firefall
06. Kiss on My List - Hall and Oates
05. You are the Sunshine of My Life - Steve Wonder
04. I'm a Believer - The Monkees
03. Baby, Baby - Amy Grant
02. Still the One - Orleans
01. Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) - Edison Lighthouse
[The one that's been going through my head for two days now.]

That's the end of TT, but if you'd like to read a Valentine's poem, forge ahead.

One night at my elementary school's open house when I was in kindergarten or first grade, I saw my father smile at one of my papers displayed on a wall along with all of my classmates'. I asked him why he was smiling. He replied, "What does that say?" I remember tilting my head up, but I couldn't read it. Then I remembered what I had written and said, "Eugene Field." That was the name of my school, and I had drawn a picture of my school and put the name on the front. That memory always stayed with me because I could tell he was stifling a laugh under that smile, but I couldn't figure out what was so funny.

Years later, I found that paper and realized I had mistakenly written, "Eugene Fled." I'm guessing it struck him funny as in, "Eugene has left the building. Down with school."

That little school has long been defunct, and I hadn't thought about Eugene Field in a long time. Today, I happened across his name on the good old Internet, so I checked his bio. He was a poet of whimsy whose work was much loved by children, and thus several schools were named after him. Lo and behold, a couple of his most famous poems were about Valentine's Day.

And with that, I now share a sweet poem by Eugene Fled Field. Keep in mind he died at 45 (1850-1895), but he and his "Valentine" produced eight children. So apparently, Eugene was around home a lot more than he fled.


Accept, dear girl, this little token,
And if between the lines you seek,
You'll find the love I've often spoken
The love my dying lips shall speak.

Our little ones are making merry
O'er am'rous ditties rhymed in jest,
But in these words (though awkward very)
The genuine article's expressed.

You are as fair and sweet and tender,
Dear brown-eyed little sweetheart mine,
As when, a callow youth and slender,
I asked to be your Valentine.

What though these years of ours be fleeting?
What though the years of youth be flown?
I'll mock old Tempus with repeating,
"I love my love and her alone!"

And when I fall before his reaping,
And when my stuttering speech is dumb,
Think not my love is dead or sleeping,
But that it waits for you to come.

So take, dear love, this little token,
And if there speaks in any line
The sentiment I'd fain have spoken,
Say, will you kiss your Valentine?


To my own Eugene: will you kiss your Valentine??

1981

17 comments:

Lois E. Lane said...

I dare anyone not to smile while listening to "Happy Together" ... impossible! Thanks for the great post :)

Nicholas said...

I remember most of those but #8 really brings back memories!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

aww, that was so sweet! and then he died! wah!

Sandee (Comedy +) said...

Love it all. The music is awesome and the story about your dads chuckle was cute. I love the poem as well. Have a great TT and Valentine's Day. Something tells me you will. :)

Malcolm said...

See, I think there are some great pop songs on this list (Happy Together, Sugar Sugar, Love Grows..., and Every Little Thing... just to name a few). I have been playing "Love Grows..." in my head ever since reading your list. Another sweet love song that comes to mind is "My Baby Loves Lovin'" by White Plains.

Susan said...

Great post...great songs...and a very interesting poem. Wow, I hadn't thought of many of those songs for years.

Hugs,

Susan

Sandy Carlson said...

Your No. 13 is one of my favorites!

Jill said...

That is really a good poem to share, thank!
And now I have your are the sunshine of my life in my head!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

What great songs!! And the poem and story... this was one of the best TTs I've been to this week. Thanks.

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

Linda,
#1, 7, and 13 are perhaps 3 of my all time favorite songs. This is why I'm certain that we could hang together.

I'll bet you know all the words to "American Pie" and can sing them with me. Anytime. Anywhere. And without the benefit of a cocktail. :)

Journeywoman said...

Love the poem and song #10.

SJ Reidhead said...

Very good list, I know 99% of it!

SJR
The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Sarai said...

OKay I know 5 and that's about it... My 13 is about songs as well but mine is about the shuffle button on my nano! Have a great week!
Sarai
http://www.saraij.blogspot.com

marina said...

Linda, Love your picture!!marina

Robin said...

I can't believe I'm about to confess this is public, but The Captain and Tennille was the very first concert I ever went to.

(In my defense I was very young and tagged along with an older relative.)

Joyismygoal said...

Those ar all fun I might putthemall on my ipod and i have to add This Kiss Faith hill

A Stone Gatherer said...

Love the poem! I can just see him writing it for his Love! If I can I'd like to add two songs I always think of my sweetie when I hear them: "Groovy kind of love" by Phil Collins, and "When you don't say a thing" by Allison Krause. Hope you guys had a great Valentines Day! George is quite the romantic!