Tuesday, February 12, 2008


Time Travel Tuesday at My Life As Annie

I wasn't allowed to have pets when I was a child because I'm allergic to everything (see photo of inflamed eye below for the ugly proof) and because neither of my parents really cares to have animals in the house.

But one night my parents took me to an elderly couple's home for a visit, and they had a blue parakeet that I loved (probably tortured) all evening. When it was time to go, they asked (miracle of miracles) if I would like to have the bird.

I'm 45 years old, and still, that is one of the happiest moments of my life.

My parents forgot who they were and what planet we were on because they acquiesced, and thus I acquired "Bobby Bird."

We were true love birds.

He sat on my head. We danced together. Meaning that while he sat on my head, I jumped up and down like a maniac and he clung for dear life.

I would offer him a paper to bite, and he would tear off little arches. I would keep the paper moving until he tore a beautiful beak pattern all around the edge.

Fun times, fun times.

There are many more riveting tales of our partnership, but this will have to do for now.

Someday I'll get a pic of Bobby Bird from my mom and post it. I believe he's sitting on my head while I'm opening my nurses kit that I got for Christmas.

7 comments:

Nancy Face said...

OHHH!!! I am also 45 years old, and my Time Travel is also about my blue parakeet! :D

I know I would have loved Bobby Bird if I 'd met him! ;)

Abby said...

i always wanted a pet bird!! the Lord blessed me by sending 3 hurt birds in my yard over the spand of about 2 years that i would keep until they got better and then send back outside to find their mothers who no doubt would have dive-bombed at my head had they realized it was me that took them inside. i sadly don't remember what i named them their short time with me but i loved pretending that we were friends :)

thanks for visiting my blog! i'm 23, but my best friend is a couple of years older than you so i am used to friends of all ages! :) so nice to meet a new gal pal! thank you for all of the encouraging words..you are a sweetheart! (and beautiful too!!!)

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Did he go to heaven already? I thought birds were supposed to live forever?

Ann said...

Bobby Bird sounds like a friendly bird. I remember when I was a kid, second grade or so, my very odd piano teacher, Mrs. Gull, had a big green parrot in a cage at the top of the stairs. The parrot could look down the stairs and see the piano, he could see us having my lesson. This parrot would say "Shut up Shut up Shut up" over and over. It was funny but sort of creeped me out. I remember she had a pipe organ in her basement. Very odd family, very odd parrot.

Merrie said...

What a great memory! Good ole Bobby Bird! I had Petey. My black cat, Lucky would hold Petey in his mouth and bring him to us when he would escape!

Fran said...

Just saying the name, "Bobby Bird" makes me smile.

What a sweet memory....and of all pets...I'm shocked your parents agreed to that. How long did you have Bobby Bird? Keep us posted.

Have a good day!

annie said...

What a sweet story!