Monday, February 11, 2008

What I like to Do About Every 3.67 Years












There was a time when I could wrangle three little kids and simultaneously bake up the most beautiful cookies at each and every holiday. I said to my husband tonight, "I'm so tired! How did I do this when they were little?" and he said so eloquently, "Weren't you about 20 years younger?" Thanks for the reminder, Honey.



















Anyway, tomorrow our Discipleship Team (12 staff representatives from each of the ministries) is having its Valentine's Day party. So I'm bringing these cookies. I have one for each member. They're about 5 or 6" wide, but you can't really tell that in this photo. Plus I made extras for all of our ministry assistants. See, this is the only kind of "cooking" I really enjoy. It's baking, but it's more about the prettiness factor than anything, so it's not like it's real baking. This is why I love the Food Network Challenge shows. I love the artistry. (Not that these are on par with those shows; I'm just saying that's why I like to watch them more than the real recipe shows. But I do love Paula Deen.)

So the other night I was watching one of their Chocolate Challenge shows, and afterwards, I came across Cocoa Chronicles by Bethany, who describes her blog as a record of "life as a mother of 4, a wife and the owner/founder of The Cocoa Tree, an artisan chocolate cafe in Historic Franklin, TN." And guess what? She participated in the Chocolate Landmark Challenge. Isn't that cool?

13 comments:

PJ said...

Totally cool! I saw part of the Chocolate Landmark Challenge and some sort of building hit the floor!!! I was crushed!! All of that delicious chocolate...to be swept away!!! I could hardly bear it! (And making beautiful cookies IS TOO real cooking!!) I make an awesome roast turkey, but my decorated cookies look like a 3-yr old threw a hissy fit with the frosting.

Suzio said...

Beautiful Cookies! How lucky your friends are this Valentines Day.

Fran said...

Ok Linda...
I'm feeling very inadequate right now....I'm going to buy my fellow church co-workers Vday happy's and I cannot and will not ever be able to do those adorable cookies.

You are one cool lady. How far away are you?? Just a quick road trip away?? :)

Have a great Tuesday.
Blessings~
Fran

Susanne said...

Those are gorgeous cookies, Linda. I'm so totally opposite of you. I like the pretty well enough but I hate the piddly work it takes to get it like that. Give me pots and pans any day. See we need to move next door and I'll cook and you can bake. Sounds like a plan.

Laura said...

Those are gorgeous cookies! Wow! You've got talent coming out of your ears, Linda!

Jerri Phillips said...

Linda,

In seriousness, if you ever decide to leave the area of youth work, you could become a baking artist. I'm so amazed. This really is a gift.

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. I am way impressed. I am soooo not artistic. Now I could otganize your cookies & put them in alpha order in a heartbeat. But make 'em look like that? Not in this lifetime.

Debbie said...

The cookies are so beautiful and I know they will be enjoyed and appreciated. I like all kinds of cooking, but baking is my favorite. However, I've never made a cookie that looked half as good as those.

Amy Wyatt said...

How did you do this? These cookies are beautiful. I can never get the icing that flat and perfect. You have to share your tips. My kids love to bake cookies and we dress up in the full chef's hat and aprons to do it. I know the Discipleship Team will love them.

Jen said...

We are out of school today so I'm making with Madison and Miller Valentine Suckers...wish us luck. I may be nuts by noon.lol.
I love your cookies...very cute.

Jennifer said...

I just happened upon your blog.
I just had to comment and say I Love the cookies...I may have to give those a try!! Very pretty!

Teresa said...

Those are beautiful! How very thoughtful, as well!

Ann said...

They are beautiful cookies, Linda! Beauty is comforting (I have a nasty cough and sore throat). I haven't been reading blogs the last couple days, been taking it easy, but just now my son was flipping through channels and Donny Osmond was on the Florence Henderson show. I immediately thought of you. Then I thought about who my childhood crush was. Definitely Luke Skywalker. Anyway I'm just rambling, but thank you for sharing your artwork with us! I'm sure they're delicious, and the people receiving them will definitely be blessed :)