Saturday, May 03, 2008

*FINALIST*-- 5 Minutes for Mom Mother's Day Photo Contest

Please use this link to return.

The year is around 1930. My mother, the little girl on the left, is about 4 years old, which means she is now 82. I don't possess many pictures of my mother, especially from her childhood, so this one is precious to me for a couple of reasons.

First of all, she is with her mother and father, in the happiest time of her life because her father, Bradley, died when she was 14, and her mother, although it's difficult to tell here, was blind. You can imagine the devastation of living through those early years without a father in the home and the sole breadwinner being a blind female. My mother took on a lot of adult responsibility early, but in this photo, she is a carefree little girl.

Which leads me to the second reason I love this photo: my mother has such a ladylike demeanor, with her beaded necklace and little crossed legs bearing Mary Janes. She still carries herself this same ladylike way today! But in this photo, you can see childlike curiosity and sense of security on her face and in her body language, both feelings suppressed by hard times for many years. Knowing what she went through after the early years, this photo moment blesses me. I'm thankful for this photo and for the wonderful mother I have. God's hand is on my life, and it all started by giving me to my mother, Lucille Garrett Batt.

Five Minutes for Mom is hosting a photo contest with a “Motherhood” theme. The prize is a $1,000 American Express Gift Card–Sponsored by Egg Beaters. Thank you, 5 minutes for Mom and Egg Beaters!

20 comments:

Barbara said...

She looks so cute! What a sweet picture.

Susanne said...

Lovely picture Linda, as is it's meaning to you.

Your mom at that age looks just like my neice did, at least that expression on her face. Right down to the haircut.

Sarah said...

The picture and your thoughts...beautiful.

Mocha with Linda said...

Such a sweet tribute. (Love the grin on the baby's face!)

gail said...

linda, my mom just turned 83 and i wish i had a photo of her as a young child. i can see why that is precious to you.

wow, i can't believe your grandma was blind. my hubby lost 90% of his vision 5 years ago and it has been quite an adjustment for our family. i can imagine it was even more difficult way back then.

love your blog, i always come check on AI and your comments.

gail in idaho

Fresh Girl said...

What a precious photo! Your mom is just adorable in it. And her brother (?) is cute as can be! I know you treasure having this.

Tammy said...

Oh, what a precious photo of your mom and her family!
As you know, our moms are exactly the same age...

How did your grandmother do it? That's amazing...I would love to hear more about this sometime.

Blessings!
~Tammy

Janice (5 Minutes for Mom) said...

The story of your family is inspiring. And i love the baby's smile! So rare for photos of that period.

check out our site today :)

Mocha with Linda said...

A finalist! Congrats!!!

Beverly Lewis said...

I voted! $1,000 ??!!! Man I hope you win.

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

Just wanted to say a big congrats to you - you're a finalist! I read your blog daily and I love it...you always make me laugh. This picture is beautiful...what a great family and heritage you have. I'll be voting for you...hope you win! :)

Kelley said...

Congratulations Linda,
I will definitely cast my vote for you! This is a great picture and the story behind it is so inspiring. I remember not too long ago you wrote about your Dad. It looks like you have been blessed with wonderful parents!

Love,
Kelley

Teresa said...

Just wanted to let you know I voted for you! Congratulations on being a finalist!

How was your dinner???

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

I loved this picture because you don't often see smiles in pictures of that era. It kind of shows that things aren't so different after all.

truth said...

The last link takes you to 5 minutes for mom contest, but not to the finalists page. I did find it though. Good luck!

Carol said...

Hey, Linda!
I voted for you! You could buy lottsa cups of coffee (and some band aids) if you won!
~Carol

Susanne said...

Linda: I can't find where to go vote. Am I blind or something?

Linda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

I am going to vote now. I love that the baby is laughing! You never see that in old photos!

Genny said...

What a great picture! I heard about your blog through Mocha With Linda...I love it! As you can see if you visit my blog, I love the "coffee theme" too! I enjoyed stopping by!
Genny