Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Conference, Part 2: The Actual Thing

Where was I?

Oh yes, I learned all about Andy Gibb.

I woke up, looked at the view outside my 9th floor window and had to pinch myself.

I missed breakfast but didn't care because I was so excited for the opening session of Friday morning, which I was attending on behalf of the women's ministry at my church.

I walked into the room, looked at all the round tables and didn't know where to sit. I sort of whispered a half-prayer, half conversation: "Where should I sit, Lord?"

I chose a spot and got settled in. About five minutes later, someone came up to me and said, "OK if I sit here?" I said, "Sure."

She said, "Hi, I'm Lynn ---- Gasp!"

At the same time, I said, "Hi, I'm Linda --- Gasp!"

It was Lynn from Unequal Marriage, whom I've corresponded with and whose writing I've enjoyed for so long! Lynn has prayed for me many a time. I was so happy to see her, but I couldn't believe she just walked right up to me without us knowing who the other was! That was so cool.

I had a wonderful morning and learned about promoting women's ministry and experiencing the power of God in your ministry.

Lunch was a shrimp salad, which was sad for me because 1) shrimp is maybe one of three foods in the entire world that I won't gobble down, and 2) I had missed breakfast! Anyway, Wendy Pope of She Speaks was hostessing our table, and she fixed me all up with a plain salad. It was as if Jorge himself were there. Ha.

I had two appointments with editors that day, and I was happy with the way both went. It was a real learning experience for me, although I was a bit freaked out right before the first one. I was trying to remember, as advised by others, not to chew gum, bat my eyes, clear my throat, click my nails or faint.

Wendy Pope generously offered to take some extra time alone with me to help prepare me for my first interview. I do not know why she offered, but out of the blue, she did, and I'm indebted to her for that kindness

After the 2nd interview, I was home free, Baby!!!

I just enjoyed each session and meeting everyone. Every time I start to tell you who all I was "so happy to meet," I'm afraid I'll leave someone out. There were people I've been reading for a long time and people I've been reading a short time. There were brand new people to meet. It was amazing.

As far as the attendees at the blogger's reception, I believe I have been reading Big Mama longer than I have anyone else, so I was very happy to meet her.

I took copious notes which I will revisit soon because I don't want to forget what I learned. By Sunday, I was on information overload, but that's good because it meant Proverbs 31 Ministries outdid themselves for us. The speakers were great.

My roommates, Kelley from Aroma of Joy and Missy from It's Almost Naptime are beautiful and sweet and funny. Kelley looks like she's about 25, but I still love her! I want to say "Hi!" to her daughter, "S" who apparently likes to read 2nd Cup, although I'm sure if she started reading this post she's in a coma right now.

I just want to say, if I met you at She Speaks, I love you. Because there was a bond of some kind. And not just because everyone was saying, "Y'all." It went deeper than that, at least for me. Five years ago, I couldn't have imagined this whole blogging life and friends. Life is funny.

I still have part 3 to tell you about, which was the trip home, where I flew on the Devil's private plane.

So here are my pics, and yes, I included a pic of the hotel room because I AM A DORK.

14 comments:

Carol said...

Great job with the pictures! My lonely camera got left behind at home. I met those minions at the airport you were talking about. They wouldn't let my plane take off to take me home. But we finally made it. So wonderful to finally meet you! Same time next year?
~Carol (I Throw Like a Girl)

DidiLyn said...

I'm glad you're writing about the weekend. While you were listening and learning and meeting and loving, I was scraping and painting my house.
Does my bitterness show?
Next year....West Coast. O else.

Susanne said...

Sigh, I'm officially jealous of all who went. It looks like a wonderful time of fellowship and learning. I'm so happy for you that your meetings went well. Now I need to go and confess my envy.

Truth4thejourney said...

Hi Linda,
Great pictures!! I love how you did the "show" with them. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to do that too!

I'd love it if you could send me the pic. of you and Robin and Kelly and Me. My e-mail address is: razn6@netzero.net

Have a restful week. :)

Amy Wyatt said...

Please pray for us. We are under spiritual attack as I knew we would be coming out of the conference. We have spent the entire day at the hospital with a status seizure. We're home now but exhausted.

Mocha with Linda said...

Love the pics. And aren't you snazzy getting them to rotate! And I would have taken a picture of that cute room too!

I know you wowed those editors. It all sounds like such fun.

Lynn said...

Oh Linda,

I can't tell you how much it meant for me to finally meet you face-to-face. I love you and it was God's design for us to sit right next to each other.

Girl.... What you said...I just want to say, if I met you at She Speaks, I love you. Because there was a bond of some kind. And not just because everyone was saying, "Y'all." It went deeper than that, at least for me. .... I am right there with you..

Also, the rotating photos are awesome. I have got to figure out how you did this.

I love, love, love reading about your experience. I check in every day. Also, I knew your appointments would go well. You are a talented and gifted writer. You delight the Lord.

Love you girl. Hugs!!

PS. Wendy is absolutely amazing. I want to be like her when I grow up.. *grin*

PJ said...

I'm sooooo going next year!!! It just wasn't the right time for me. Looks like great fun.

Melanie said...

sniff sniff. I wish I could have gone. Just couldn't be in two places at once. Maybe another time!

My name is Phyllis said...

I tried to wait so I could read all your posts together, but you still left me hangin'. I can hardly wait to hear about the Devil's private plane...that sounds like a 'hellish' trip. LOL

Phyllis@AimlessConversation
www.homeschoolblogger.com/HSmom0f4

annie's eyes said...

It sounds absolutely awesome! Writers and speakers and bloggers all at once. Your joy shines through each word.

Marina said...

You look so pretty with Lynn Donvan
you too liik sisters.:) Love all the pictures and love the hotel it looks 5 star!!! and love the room too pretty.marina

Renee Swope said...

I love, love, love your photos!! I so wish I could've met you in person at She Speaks. So glad you got to come to the WM pre-conference. I do remember seeing those beautiful blondes in the opening session. It must have been you and Linda.

I love your blog and your stories. We might be related I think.... I should be from Indiana. My mom is a Wabash girl and we have family there, and in Columbus, Indianopilis, a few other smaller towns that I can't seem to remember at this moment. My brain is still recovering from brain cell loss over the weekend. Really, we should've had a session on how to sleep with your eyes open since I didn't seem to have enough time to close mine while we were there.

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope I get to meet you at She Speaks next year!

Blessing,
Renee

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

I'm so glad to read about your trip! Love the pics too.

Now I'll never be able to fly again without thinking of Fantasy Island. Thanks a lot.