Friday, July 04, 2008

Independence Day Music?

A couple of months ago, political talking head Susan Etsrich said something I have wanted to comment on here for a long time but saved for today. Now, however, I cannot recall her exact words. Even a Google search proved fruitless. Therefore, please pardon my paraphrasing below.

Basically, her remark began as a run-of-the-mill comment about how Americans grow weary of the din of campaigning: the stumping, the spin, the catering to special interests, etc.

Then, off-handedly, she said something like, "But it's part of who we [Americans] are--when you think about it, the noise is music--the music of freedom. Because one thing that sets us apart from many other countries is the way we peacefully elect our leaders. So when I hear the noise, I remind myself it's the music of freedom."

Well. That put the huffing and puffing of campaigning in another light for me.

As a result of Susan Estrich's casual observation, I have been rejoicing a little whenever I feel barraged with up-to-the-minute campaign coverage. I think, "Sure, the sound bites are obnoxious sometimes. But thank God we are free, free in so many ways, and choosing our highest leader is a great honor." After all, isn't that privilege--freedom from monarcy and dictatorship--what Independence Day was firstly all about? Thank you, Susan Estrich, for helping me celebrate my country and my freedom one more time.

Let freedom ring!

13 comments:

Barbara H. said...

That's a great way to look at it. We hear from missionary friends in various places that election time is a dangerous time, with opposing factions taking their differences out on the street. I'd much rather have the excess commercials and news focus than the upheaval some countries experience.

Happy 4th!

Mocha with Linda said...

Good point. Although I must say I prefer the "real" patriotic music! LOL

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Great insight!

And for now, we still have the freedom of speech for them to banter and for us to comment about it! YEAH AMERICA!!

Shonda said...

May you and your family have a blessed Independence Day!
Blessings in Christ-

Merrie said...

GREAT! I needed that reminder and it is especially fitting for today!

Marina said...

That was really good post!! and thank God we still have our freedom I hope it well never be taken away form us.May God Truly Bless America our home sweet home
:)!!marina

Kelley said...

Excellent thoughts Linda!! Thanks for the insight today, I will remember this and share it the rest of the year as we are inundated with political info. Enjoy your holiday!!

Teri said...

I am a flag waving patriotic girl!

I could do without the mud slinging...but you know...I just turn off the tube and don't have to watch it again until election night! (Ummm, right!)

ANyway, thankd for this post and have yourself a grand day!

sobeit said...

Thanks for sharing this post and paraphrase. I needed this to help when I'm watching all the campaign news on tv! Hope you have a wonderful 4th of July!

sobeit
http://sobeit89.squarespace.com

Roxanne said...

That is a great point of view. . .and I think we too often take for granted the fact that other than lots of t.v. adds and solicitous phone calls, we don't have to fear that our country's government will be overthrown by a coup OR that violence will errupt in the streets when it's time to vote OR that we just have the RIGHT to vote.

Happy 4th.

annie's eyes said...

This puts a whole new light on all the banter. I grow weary of it, but today, am reminded to be grateful for the freedom of voice in this country! Love, Annette

PJ said...

It does, indeed, put a new spin on the "noise!" I will have to work to remember it though. They annoy me so much sometimes. I wish they'd make a gadget for the TV & radio to "Block" campaigning. But then, I would be ignorant about the issues/characters. Sigh. You're soooo right. It is part of who we are. What makes democracy work. I guess I just have to face the music!!

Ronda's Rants said...

Excellent point...we do have a lot to be thankful for in this fine country of ours!