Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Stick With Me, Kid, and You'll Learn Something

Item 1: Do you know what a pimiento is? Besides being the little red rectangle inside an olive, I wasn't totally sure. A pimiento is a heart-shaped sweet pepper, 3-4 inches long, 2-3 inches wide. The outside flesh is tough, but the inside is even more aromatic than regular bell peppers. Olive companies often stuff pimientos in olives to off-set the olives' bitterness, honest they do. [I only added "honest they do" to emphasize the prodigious force of the alliteration in that sentence.]

On Independence Day, I took old-fashioned macaroni and cheese to a get-together, and just for kicks, I added a little jar of pimientos, drained. I know; just call me Martha. Surprisingly, all 3 of my kids loved it. Slam dunk. Boo-ya.

Item 2: Do you know the diff between pink lemonade and yellow? I didn't. So at lunch the other day, I did a blind taste test with my two teenagers to see if I could tell which was which. Meaning the lemonades, not the kids, but I do suspect even they have their own flavors because they for sure have their own odors.

(Aside: You see, here again is the beauty of being a SAHM home during July instead of being at work: I can perform awseome taste tests while my teenagers look at me with mild disdain. Woulda missed that oppotunity had I been standing at the copier at work.)

I could taste a difference, but I couldn't say which I thought was yellow or pink. My kids looked at me like I was nuts: "Of course there's a difference. The yellow is more sour."

Huh. Didn't know that. How did I stumble through life before I had teenagers, anyway?

So I Googled pink lemonade to find out why it's pink. Turns out that usually the lemonade makers add grenadine syrup or maraschino cherry juice. Since the syrup is sweeter, it makes pink less bitter. But that posed a problem for me because I didn't know exactly what grenadine syrup is, except it turns drinks of all kinds, alcoholic and non, pink.

Turns out it's made from pomegranates. It takes 2 1/4 lbs of pomegranates to make grenadine syrup. We have corn in Indiana; we have like, maybe, one or two pomegranates.



So if I were to fiddle with my yellow lemonade, I'd probably just go ahead and buy maraschino cherries or grenadine syrup because I'm not really Martha, who would cross a state line to fetch pomegranates in a hand-made wicker basket lined with organic embroidered linens from Italy.

But I do like me some sweet corn. With pimientos.

25 comments:

Ladytink_534 said...

It's true! You do learn something new everyday. I prefer the new green Tiger Gatorade because it's Key Lime Lemonade.

Chatty Kelly said...

Lemonade taste testing, and cooking casseroles. You are truly a SAHM. Welcome to the club.

All you need to do is break out the play doh and you'll be living out my daily routine. Smile!

Susan said...

I can't say I've ever wondered what a pimiento IS...because I thought it was "just a pimiento"--you know, from one of those (ahem) pimiento trees! I'm so glad that YOU wondered and cleared that up for me...

I'm fairly certain that I wasn't cut out to be a SAHM. I DO love "trying" each summer when I don't have school, however.

Merrie said...

I never knew that about the lemonade... I thought knoe about the pimento - that it is a green (bell) pepper that stays on the vine longer - I thought, except that the yellow and orange peppers don't do that. Guess I was wrong. It is nice to know that I can still learn things! YIPPEE... thanks.

Cindy-Still His Girl said...

Pimentos (pimentoes?) are things of my nightmares.

When we were in college and on choir tours throughout the south, every church had potlucks. At EVERY SINGLE ONE was a NAS-TAY thing called pimento cheese sandwiches. Sometimes it wasn't even a potluck. Sometimes it was just sandwiches. I'm kind of gagging now just thinking of those.

Mommy, the Human Napkin said...

That Martha photo cracked me up! You ARE a hoot! My daughter prefers pink lemonade for one reason: it's pink. That goes for everything right now, though. All her school supplies for Kindergarten this fall must be pink. Oh, to be five again and surround yourself in all things pink...

Teri said...

I would love to have the recipe for home made mac n cheese. I stink at it.

And thanks for the lesson in lemonade.

Maggie - Mom of Six said...

I didn't know where pimentos came from but, then again, I only discovered they weren't really part of the olive until a couple of years ago!

Also didn't know that grenadine came from pomegranates. I am with you though, I will use the already made syrup!

Thanks for the info! And it is so nice to know that I am not the only one who's teenagers look at them funny!

Susanne said...

I think you're getting right into this SAHM thing! Chiffon cakes, room makeovers, taste testing. Neti pots. I can hardly wait to hear what's next in this adventure! You might not want to go back to work at the end of the month!

Misty said...

gosh, you are funny!!! and poor cindy who left a comment... i hope she didn't have the real, homemade piminto sandwhiches--yum! i love that you still embrace learning and "just being a sahm" even with teens...gives me something to look forward to with my very little guys!

Robin said...

So happy you are enjoying your days at home. Pink lemonade is my fav along with that good looking mac and cheese. Savor the days..

Pam from alertandorientedx4.blogspot.com said...

My mom (not Martha, for sure) used to put cinnamon red hots in our lemonade to make it pink. It was....interesting.....I can't even get my family to eat olives, much less pimentos. Lately, I had a sandwich dressed up with capers...they are pretty interesting, too....

MoodyBlue said...

You are a wealth of information all the time to me. I never knew that stuff.

Hope all is well. Sorry I've been M.I.A. I was on vacation & my sister had her surgery yesterday so I'm now back!!!

annie's eyes said...

Okay, I'm fairly certain you are a Martha wannabe, though you're coming very close with lemonade research, and I had no idea--pomegranates compose grenadine. I learn something new here every day. Enjoy your time off! Love, Annette

Heth said...

It turns out that having a 2nd cup of coffee is edjumacational. I learned so much today from stopping by. Now I'm shutting off my brain and heading to the pool.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

I buy that Walmart generic crystal light...not sure of the name. That is when I noticed. I use to buy the lemonade all the time. On a wing-ding (made that up--see what you do to me), I bought the pink. I've not purchased the regular since. I have to add a little splenda to the yellow but not to the think. It is sweeter.

Very interesting factoids!

Marsha said...

to heck with the lemonade... just give me some of that sweet Indiana corn! Oh how I miss it!

I think a trip home is in order before too long!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

I DID learn something!

I actually like pimientos...they add a little kick to whatever they are put in, huh? I like the mac-n-cheese idea, though!

And I seriously didn't know WHY pink lemonade was that way. But I do like it better than regular...

Sandy@ Jesus and Dark Chocolate said...

Ok at dinner tonight I am going to impress my kids with my great knowledge of the difference between pink and yellow lemonade. Gee all these years of being a mom and I never knew that!! :) Thanks!

Chatty Kelly said...

Ok - from my blog...

Rock the Rock, while you're rocking the rocker. (praise God while your rocking in your chair).

How's that?

Roxanne Kristina said...

Ok, you have the most spectacular way of making the everyday monumental. I absolutely love that about you. You never disappoint. Tonight I will look at my frige in a whole new light.

On a different note, I finally pushed myself a little bit, getting out of my comfort zone on, “This is what I did today,” sort of blogging. If you have a moment, I'd love your feedback on my post, “Pray-paring for 20 somethings.”

Link: http://sharingnotes.blogspot.com/2008/07/pray-paring-for-20-somethings.html

Blessings,
Roxx

http://www.sharingnotes.blogspot.com

PJ said...

Wow!! I never knew I could learn so much just reading a blog!!!! Or I could just listen to my own offspring..but it's not nearly as much fun. ROTFL....Miss Lidna Stewart

Truth4thejourney said...

What valuable info! I've always wanted, to know!

Here's another to research, how does a gnat survive in a downpour of rain?

Thanks for visiting my blog! :)

I like the new pic. of you since She Speaks.

Sonya

Michelle@Life with Three said...

I'm glad to know the difference between the yellow and pink lemonade. I thought pink lemonade was just pink -- well, actually, I don't know why I thought it was pink. But now I do. Thanks!

Mocha with Linda said...

Pomegranate juice is the new wonder food. I read it lowers blood pressure significantly so got my hubs some at Wal-Mart. Tried to replenish today at the grocery store, but it was 6.99 for a half gallon. No point in making my BP soar while his lowers!