Monday, August 18, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook



This feature and others can be found at The Simple Woman.

FOR TODAY August 18, 2008.

First of all, you're looking at the first blogger mom up there, Eloise Whittlewood, circa 1904. Her entry: "These kids today and their technology. Just this morning Esther was talking to Elizabeth through one of those new-fangled cans connected by a string thing about how worn and tattered Beatrice's petticoat was at church yesterday. I think I'll coin a new term for the likes of them, "Mean Girls," and make a movie about them in my flip pages."

OK, now back to the 21st Century where, thankfully, all teenagers are nice.

Outside My Window... A glorious sky, squirrels around our walnut tree, silent gravel that should instead be emitting sounds of being crushed beneath my running shoes, verdant summer air laced with bacon and Downy. My neighbors are industrious early birds.

I am thinking... Monday at work means staff meeting at 10:00. This is my 2nd "Down Day" (more to come on that tomorrow). Did I give Kristin her lunch money? Why is lunch $2.25 now?

I am thankful for... Hall's honey-lemon cough drops. My husband, who spent Saturday priming our kitchen walls, mowing my parents' yard, eating left-overs like it was just great stuff, taking our kids to Starbucks and Blockbuster, building them a fire, encouraging me in my slogging, riding his bike for exercise and looking like a movie star body. For real.

From the kitchen... bad vibes, man.

I am wearing... a t-shirt that says, "Angelina adopted me," and large green and white checkered pajama pants with a drawstring. I just realized that this terrible outfit is like a blasphemy against the beauty of Angelina, which makes it even better.

I am creating... a fabulous post right here, yes?

I am going... to work, and although I love my job (I really do), I also wish I could just go outside and tend the chickens. Or read a book to my three year-old son on my lap, but since he's actually 19 and outweighs me by 25~30 lbs., I'll just go to work and make copies. But my inner me is that woman in the drawing up there.

I am reading... the "Bible in a Year" Bible. I've been on track since April, which is an epic miracle of biblical proportions in and of itself. It's tedious at times, but that's OK; lots of things in life, like making copies and cleaning out the refrigerator, are tedious. So in the dry parts, I'm looking at it as a beneficial disciplinary exercise, like I'm an ascetic monk in a monastery for 15 minutes. Although why the stupid people never ever learned: "Asherah poles = BAD" is baffling.

I am hoping... that my kids have a great day and a great day in the Lord. That they are mindful of Him throughout the day. I am also hoping my copier doesn't break down and that my boss will still be wearing his funky Coke-bottlish glasses as he prepares for Lasik surgery this week because one has to find joy in the office where one can.

I am hearing... my dog chew her kibbles. 'Tis not as poetic as mourning doves. "Cruuuunch,crunch,crunch-crunch-crunch-crunch,cruuuuunch, crunch,crunch-crunch-crunch," etc., etc. Ironically, she has only eaten about 1/8 c. It just takes her like 15 minutes. Not irritating at all.

Around the house... evidence of teenagers plus one teenaged guest for a few days.

One of my favorite things... is when I walk in the door, or I'm just in the house going about normal business, and I look down and see my little dog rolled over on her back, silently trying to get noticed, hoping for attention in the form of a tummy rub or praise. When I come in from running, she does that, and it cracks me up because it's like she's saying, "Once again, your awesomeness slays me." Here's what it looks like.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week: Well, I'll go to work, read my Bible, do "Believing God," check on my parents, check on my kids, submit my newspaper column, blog a little or a lot, cook at least one warm meal (I'm determined!) have 77 hot flashes, feel inadequate and guilty several times, slog along my neighborhood streets.

Here is picture thought I am sharing... I used to have chickens. I will again someday.


Tomorrow: I've started "The Alternate Day" Diet!

25 comments:

Becky said...

I want chickens too but I'm waiting for the kids to be old enough to do all the work, LOL! I had a couple of chickens as a kid, Butch and Banshee. They were fun.

Tabi said...

It's comments from people like you who remind be to enjoy every minutet of my children being small! They may spill tea ALL OVER the kitchen (yes this happened last night) but the hugs, kisses, and nosies I get at night won't be here forever! Do you think my 19 year old son years from now will give his mom nosies? Doubtful huh?

Chatty Kelly said...

Okay, I think I need to go have a literal 2nd cup of coffee and then come back and read again.

I was wondering how the woman in 1904 went to Starbucks, and then I realized you had changed gears. It's Monday and I've only had 1 cup of coffee. Be gentle with me.

:-)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

OK, Kelly, I see what you mean. So I added the back to the 21st Century comment. Want to be my editor???

Robin said...

What a good thing to start your day out rejoicing with the mundane things in life. Now, the dog chewing would get on my nerves too ! Have a good one...

Smilingsal said...

Chicken spook me out when their necks are wrung. (shudder!)

Ballerina Girl said...

fun post! I like the quote too. It is amazing how times have changed, yet, whatever the change is, it always amazes those that are older than the change age!
Did that make sense? LOL!
Your dog is a cutie..., mine does a similar belly-up move..hahaha
Have a good day
BG

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

I'm not too sure that I would care to feed chickens, rather than go to work. There are quite a lot of other things I'd like to do like, enjoy my coffee at home in my pajamas, have some significant QUIET time in the morning in the Word, or just sit and talk with my hubby on our cedar swing outside.

Look's like you have a very busy day. Hoping that you have no more than 76 hot flashes and you feel very adequate today. I personally think you rock and I've never even met you. Imagine what your real life peeps think.

Mocha with Linda said...

Simply delightful.

BTW, you might find my post from yesterday of interest! (The longer one!)

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

"From the kitchen...bad vibes, man."

You crack me up.

And I think your beautiful pooch has the shiniest coat I've ever seen! What do you feed her...silk strips?

And lemmie just go ahead and say, "Once again, your awesomeness slays me." :-)

Greg C said...

I have two chickens and all they do is deposit chicken poo on the porch. They have decided that they no longer want to lay eggs. I started out trying to read the Bible this year but I may have to just try to get the Old testiment done. I am reading every day but not enough. I think I am going to do the alternate day diet too but only do it every other day. (just the eating days)

Susanne said...

As usual you bring a smile to my face first thing in the morning! The From the Kitchen point almost made me spew my coffee in laughter!

Debbie said...

Great post. It feels like I'm visitng with you! And love that t-shirt. Have a great day!

My ADHD Me said...

The Bible in a Year. Good for you for being so consistent. I'm doing The Purpose Driven Life. Supposed to take forty days. I must confess I am somewhere around day 70 but the book says I am on day 27.....

Brenda said...

I was going to try to read the whole Bible this year, but I got behind sometime in February, and haven't caught up. Good for you for keeping on track!

40winkzzz said...

I have other bloggy friends who do this Simple Woman's Daybook, but oh my. I have never seen it done with such humor. Not that I would expect anything less than side-splitting from this blog (no pressure to keep that up or anything, you know). "Many have done nobly, but yours are hilarious," or something like that. I have thought about joining up on this, but you actually make me *want* to. (Although I'm not sure if I actually qualify because I'm not really a simple woman. I'm kind of complicated.)

Oh, and thanks so much for explaining that picture. I always wondered who she was and what she was writing, and I am so happy to finally have been enlightened. I think you should make *that* a weekly thing. Like, you know, for example, that picture of Washington crossing the Delaware. What were he and those other guys actually thinking to themselves?

Barbara H. said...

I love Zoe's picture. :-)

PJ said...

What I love about you is that even on your "down" days, you make me laugh. And...having hot flashes really is not fun!! I recommend: 1. avoid milk products, 2. drink Green tea (some say cohosh tea, but it's nasty and I think Green tea does as well) and it's good ICED!!, 3. keep ice packs handy for those particularly vicious ones. I like the "bed buddy" kind that COULD be microwaved (NOT for a hot flash), but can be put in the freezer. They are just cold enough, but not too cold. 4. keep a fan aimed in your general direction most of the time (even in -20 weather), keep blankets handy for hubby or kids to wrap up in! (Maybe buy a really cute sweater for Zoe!!) 5. A little dark chocolate Every day (or every other day!!!)

I've survived one year, and those are the things that help me!!!

Diane said...

You make me laugh. Isn't life interesting. We all could write a book and be someone's "beach read". I've come to realize that my life is normal...some would find that humorous and unbelievable. What do they know?

Hugs,
Diane

Tabi said...

Okay I am here agian to say I'm sorry. I think my comment up above got taken the wrong way. What I was trying to say is Thank You Linda for reminding me that my frustrating 5 year old won't always be 5 and won't need me one day. I did not mean for my comment to be meant for anybody else or to criticize how others feel. I just trying to say that sometimes I forget that I will actually miss this frustrating/exhausting age!

crickl's nest said...

Okay, no one else noticed this? Most people pluck and cook their chicken before they eat it Linda. I've never seen anyone eat it like THAT! *eyes buggin out*

heehee

skoots1mom said...

i'm suffering thru flashes too, and my fan that sits on my side table next to my recliner makes everyone angry because of its noise...oh, well

I even have a fan in the kitchen...when I'm cooking...I've been doing the Monday Menu Planning meme...at least it's getting me to do some preplanning. In these days of "no brain", if I don't plan ahead there's no telling what might be on the table come 6pm.

Love that zoe girl...i just want to hug her like you're hugging the chicken...you're so funny! My mom used to have chickens...their biggest rooster didn't last long...he gave my mom a hard time each time she'd go in the pen. But, she won out in the end...and he tasted great!

Linda said...

Your little dog is soooo sweet!

Chel - An Abiding Branch said...

Diane!! "beach read"...I love it!!! Yes, your story here, Linda, shows me I am not alone, neither am I...who was that? She always pops in when I least expect it!!!

Man, now I am ready to go sit seaside!! Seaside with the Savior would be an awesome retreat and we could all sit in our chairs with our mobile broadband and blog to one another! woo hoo
chel

Susan said...

Oh Linda,

What a precious personality and sense of humor you have!!

You made me smile, it's late, I'll rest in peace!!!

This is a really cool meme, I think I'll join in next week.

Have a blessed day tomorrow♥