Friday, September 12, 2008

It's Time for Friday Fill-Ins: #89 & Internet Cafe






1.I enjoy watching my friends watch sappy movies. Wednesday night, we all watched "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants," and last night we went to see Part 2 in the theater. Only half of us cry when watching movies, but all of us make all-knowing editorial comments and wistful sighs, which is why we have to go when the theater is practically empty. Good times.

2. Menopause is something I wonder about often lately. For instance, why have my allergy symptoms suddenly gotten better? I believe the answer is hormones. If I had known this, I would have wanted to go through menopause at 25.

3. In your heart, you knew that you could never stick to that diet.

4. Take warm popcorn, add a little McCormick's Vegetable Supreme Seasoning and you end up with your own cheap gourmet popcorn. You're welcome.

5. Life has gifted me with _____. Huh? OK--God has gifted me with health, family and friends. OH, and an ability to counting by 3's, 4's and 5's really fast. It's amazing.

6. Coffeemate Hazelnut Biscotti is an instant vacation.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I’m looking forward to finishing up my kitchen (!), tomorrow my plans include hanging out with the birthday girl, and Sunday, I want to not cook!




Today at the cafe, I'm writing about "Slip-N-Slides in the Middle of Your Desert," a piece about my son at college. I hope you enjoy it.

Oh, how a year can change your perspective.

Last September, we deposited our son, Jordan, in his dorm room, and I was one sad mom.

What’s worse, I think he was unhappier than I was. His expression clearly communicated, “What am I doing here? I don’t even want to be here. This is a mistake.”

I would’ve preferred that he couldn’t wait for us to leave. Even though he’s old enough to vote and live with a complete stranger in a tiny, musty dorm room, when your child feels insecure, your heart aches.

Throughout the year, Jordan grew more and more acclimated to campus life.

In May, he returned home, and thus we began a wonderful summer with him and his laundry. Before I knew it, it was time to make the second deposit.

Imagine my surprise when I received his first email this year:


Please click on this link to see the rest of the story!

31 comments:

Debbie said...

Just wanted to say Hi and let you know I still read each post even though I haven't commented lately. Love your blog.

40winkzzz said...

Um, OK. That story interested me, perhaps b/c I too have a son in college. I wanted to finish reading it. But when I clicked on the button... I couldn't find it. Huh. Well, I'll try again in a day or two.

Smilingsal said...

I'm missing something. I don't see a button to click.

skoots1mom said...

I'm really losing it...
what button do I need to click on...I couldn't find your "slip n slide..."
I'm sure it's the operator...excuse my inability and have pity on me as I sit here sweating and hoping I can go to sleep once I'm done bloggin.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Click on the link. Sorry.

sara said...

when are we going to get pictures of said kitchen?!! I'm dying to know what wallpaper you picked?!

Kim said...

Oh I'd like to try that Coffeemate Hazelnut Biscotti! My favorite is hazelnut and it was one of my grocery splurges the last few years. Unfortunately cannot find ANY flavorings here :-(
So have some for me, 'kay? Thanks!

Greg C said...

I love a good slip and slide. I am about to embark on the college thing with my son. Sounds like fun. NOT

Shannon H. said...

Gourmet popcorn made at home! I love it.

Have a great weekend.

Dena @ Green Acres said...

You and I seem to be experiencing some of the same things. I have been worried about my daughter and how she has been doing away at college for the first time, but she called me the other night asking if it was ok if she took some money from her account to buy a futon. She and her roommate were going to put their beds up as lofts and put the futons under them, because they needed more room for everyone that stops by. Made me so happy to know she is adjusting well.

LarryG said...

Amazing Gifts how sweet the sound... ummm... well that's close isn't it?

Thanks for the popcorn tip.

My oldest is enjoying her second year away at college, I think it is better than the first.

Kids never cease to amaze do they?

Have a great weekend...


Fill-ins

Susanne said...

Oh you do do a good cliffhanger! I love the size of that tennis ball rolling down on the sliders. Too fun.

Movie night with your friends sounds like fun. Especially if you have that homemade gourmet popcorn handy!

DidiLyn said...

Really? That popcorn seasoning idea? Must try that...

~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

Great fill-in answers. LOL at #3. Have a great relaxing weekend.

Jack said...

#4 & 6 - Yummy! A new kitchen, how exciting!

Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for the visit over at my spot :)

--Loved the post below FFI's--

Gill said...

I so identified with no.2 and 3. Having a browse around your blog now...

Janet said...

loved your answer to #1 :-) Thanks for playing!

Barb said...

that popcorn sounds so yummy...I am most definately going to have to try it this weekend...
thanks for the idea

Ballerina Girl said...

sounds like son is happy, weekend is looking good and hazelnut biscotti?? I will have to try that one when I get back to the US!
Thanks it was a fun read!
Have a good weekend!
BG

Charli and me said...

I enjoyed reading your answers

Charli and me said...

I enjoyed reading your answers

Charli and me said...

I enjoyed reading your answers

Kim said...

The Friday Fill~Ins is fun! And, can't wait to try the popcorn & the coffee!

Love the story about your son. It's so sweet to see things from a Mom's perspective a little further along the journey.

Have a wonderful weekend!!!!

Baby Tunnel Exodus said...

Love it. All of it! Thanks for reminding me there ARE slip & slides in the desert. Think I'll be rounding that mountain today. Blessings, Whitney

Gauri said...

Hey !! I dont know how, but am glad I stumbled upon your blog :)
2nd cup of coffee...i know the feeling ..thats the kind of stuff superbly relaxed sundays are made of :) Also the 'Gourmet popcorn' sounded delicious will definately try it...Hope you have a good weekend.

Andi said...

Thanks to you, tonight I'm planning on making gourmet popcorn and trying Coffeemate Hazelnut Biscotti. Have a great weekend!

Desert Diva said...

I'm going to try your popcorn "recipe!" Have a good Friday and a wonderful weekend!

Linda said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for following me! I love your blog...you are must read for me!

Kelsey said...

Have a wonderful weekend! That slip and slide looks great!

Susan said...

I'm so sure that making our "deposit" at college in January is going to be so hard.

I love watching sappy movies...I just need to grab some friends to go with...cause my DH and my boys just don't "get it"!

:-) Susan

zamejias said...

Thanks for the suggestion at #4! I would love to try that soon.