Thursday, September 11, 2008

September 11 ~ We Mourn, We Believe God that His Grace Is Enough & I Rejoice on the Date My First Child was Born



Believing GOD


This is week 7 of Beth Moore's Believing God online study hosted by Diane at Meyers on the Hood and me. Diane is doing this week's main commentary, so please go visit her when you're finished here.

Diane and I agreed that this week's homework stretched and sobered us. I did not particularly enjoy looking back at certain periods in my life, but understanding that we often function out of what we remember or what we've repressed (what has influenced us) is an important step in healing and getting out of cycles of fruitless behavior. So I did all of the homework, as uncomfortable as it was. However, I will say that the discomfort led me to a very sweet time between the Lord and me.

The main and most encouraging idea I gleaned from this week is that for God, "remember" isn't the opposite of "forget;" it is His acting on a covenant or on behalf of us. Over and over in scripture, examples of God's children beseeching Him to "remember" them is ultimately a cry for saving grace. That resonates with me.

That is why the song, "Your Grace is Enough" written by Matt Maher and made popular by Chris Tomlin, kept going through my thoughts: "Remember your people, remember your children, remember your promise, O God ...." In an interview, Matt Maher said that those words are not insinuating that God forgets us; those words are for our benefit.

And so I included that song here. I believe they can help us through this sad anniversary date. I am also reminded of the verse, "O our God ... we do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you" (2 Chronicles 20:12). Remember how our eyes were desperately on Him that day and the days that followed? May we stay focused on Him even when the enemy is not so tangible. May we remember Him!



Psalm 30:5

For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.


Life is a mixture of rejoicing and mourning. I labored all night for my first child, but oh, what joy she brought in those early morning hours! So each September 11, while I grieve with our country, I also quietly rejoice on the anniversary of the date that God blessed me beyond my dreams with the sweetest little girl.

Twenty-two years ago today, Kaylin Diane was born. When she began to talk, she could not say "Kaylin," and what she did say sounded like "Tatie," and that stuck. I still love "Kaylin," but "Katie" fits her spunkiness.

Here she is at 3 1/2 and then this summer, below.

I never know what to say when people blog about their kids' birthdays, so don't feel you have to comment. I think it's just hard for mom bloggers not comment on the days that changed our lives forever.

She is my pride and joy, and I love her with all my heart. I hope she always remembers that whatever happens in life, His grace is enough.


24 comments:

Tammy said...

Linda, what wonderful pictures of your daughter- both then and now. She's just beautiful...

She is certainly a bright spot on this date, that's for sure!
A very happy birthday to her!

I just posted - or re posted- a portion of my memories of that day seven years ago.

Hugs,
~Tammy

Smilingsal said...

What a treat--to have a sweet story for today!

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter. Where does the time go?

I have a Caelyn who dubbed herself KK as a young child because she couldn't pronouce her name either. Isn't it funny that we remember thoses little foibles so much clearer than the 10,000 words that they pronounced correctly.

Kimberly said...

My baby turned 22 two days ago and yes, I blogged about it. Like you said, how can you not celebrate the wonderful gift of a child? This is my first year of blogging so I've never had the opportunity before. I thought a lot about what to say and decided to go with a letter to my daughter, reminiscing about her birth day 22 years ago. And she thanked me for doing that :-) My blog is mostly for my kids anyway, a way to keep in touch across the 6000 miles that now separate us.

sara said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter! My first born arrived home last night for a 2 days visit.....oh it felt soooo good to hug her!!!

Darlene R. said...

Hey Linda! It's my daughter's birthday too! She is 8 years old today.
Happy Birthday "Tatie"!

I did NOT include pictures of me pregnant with her on my blog though! No thank you! I don't know, I may have to put the one up that was in the paper, it's not too bad!
And I didn't write anything, I just put up a slideshow. :)
Now I have to finish her cake~ because I'm on the ball and put it off til the very last minute!

Chatty Kelly said...

Happy Birthday to Katie! May she & all the 9/11 babies (especially those born on 9/11/01) be able to rejoice the day of their birth, without guilt. Even as we remember all those who lost their lives on this day.

Susanne said...

Happy, happy Birthday to your Katy!

Mocha with Linda said...

Happy Birthday to your girl! She looks like she's such fun! Just like her mama.

When I did Believing God several years ago, that concept of God "remembering" meaning He takes action was revolutionary for me. I always struggled with that - because I knew the omniscient God did not have a flaky memory! LOL It gave a whole new meaning to so many scriptures!

Marina said...

what a beauitful pictures of you and your daughter in bed together for the first time its such a wouderful feeling after you have given birth to fianlly hold your little baby no words can express that feeling ") Happy Birthday Katie!love, marina

Cindy Swanson said...

Great words, Linda...and happy birthday to Kaylin! Life really is such a mixture.

Suzie said...

My baby was due 9-11. But he came on the 14th. Happy birthday to Kaylin

Shonda said...

Happy Birthday to Kaylin. Sweet day! Sad day. "To remember them is ultimately a cry for saving grace" resonates with me too. Thanks for sharing it.

Engrafted by His Grace-
Shonda

My ADHD Me said...

Happy Birthday to You,
Happy Birthday to You,
Happy Birthday Dear Katie.....
Happy Birthday To YOU!

Smelling Coffee said...

Happy Birthday to Katie! In a time of mourning, what a joy it is to have a reason to celebrate the Lord's faithfulness and gift of life! Praying for all of you today...

LisaE said...

Last weekend, Sept 6, I attended a memorial service in the morning for a friend and in the afternoon, a wedding for a family member. It is also my brother's birthdate and the day he passed away 30 years later. My dear friend lost her son on my daughter's birthday. All so bittersweet...I find it comforting that dates ultimately cross over, sometimes sorrow, sometimes joy. It reminds me that we are all in this together and that while we are not in control, God is. Happy birthday to your girlie.

Jenn @ Casa de Castro said...

Thanks for stopping by my place and for your comments. I've been reading up on your Zoe. What a precious pup! Samson is my second Yorkie, and I'm addicted. They are SO much fun and bring such joy. I enjoyed seeing yours.

Your blog has been an encouragement to me today. I'm glad I stopped by!

Ballerina Girl said...

Happy Birthday to Katie
and thank you for a great reminder....
that He remembers us in every action that He takes, and He does not give us more than we can handle...
BG

Roxanne Kristina said...

I like how you celebrate moments by reflecting back... seeing the growth of your child is reminder of God's grace in our lives... not just for our kids, but ourselves. I know parenthood is God's sense of humor to get us to grow up!!! :0) I bet if God has a stat list on who dials up most, parents have got to be a top demographic. :0)

The Social Frog said...

Not all things about today are sad, I mourn all the loss but at the same time I have a neice whom was born on this day also and that is something to be happy about.

PJ said...

Aaaaw. She's so sweet!

Roxanne said...

Happy 22nd birthday to Katie.

Happy 22nd becoming-a-mother day to you.

40winkzzz said...

I blogged about my daughter's bday today, too (er... yesterday; my puter clock tells me it's just past midnight). Only it's my youngest, not my oldest. She was 3 the year that Sept 11 became an infamous date-- too little to understand what was going on. That obviously would not have been the case for *your* daughter, who must have felt as though her birthday had been ruined.

I tend to be very "protective" about this day, as I want it to be a day of joy for us and a special day for her, without the shadow of negativity that accompanies the term "Sept 11" for so many people. So we only barely acknowledge the terrible events of this date. I also cringe when I hear people refer to those events as September Eleven, as it seems to taint the very date-- although I understand it and even occasionally have to do it myself, as no one has yet come up with another name for the day (or one that sticks, anyway).

But it isn't all bad. Today we took a "field trip" to the zoo in honor of her bday, and discovered, to our surprise, that admission was free in honor of the "day of remembrance". "Day of Remembrance". I like that. I think that's how this day should be known and referred to.

Susan said...

Happy Birthday to her! I still remember when 9/11 happened the day after my DS 2's birthday and me thinking about all those people with birthdays around this time. I figured it'd be hard to celebrate. But I've found it's important to celebrate.

Have a good one.

Susan