Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Stealin' It

Barbara at Stray Thoughts created a meme which I saw on Cindy's blog, Notes in the Key of Life. Right then and there, I promptly announced my plans to steal it because as we used to say on the Muncie Southside High School Rebel cheerleading squad:

"Steal it! Grab it! That's our hab-it! Wooooo!" [Insert kick and spirit fingers.]

We generally tried to use that chant when we didn't already have the ball, but sometimes it slipped out when we actually had the ball, which inspired the crowd to boo us, meaning, the cheerleaders. But we were awesome, "anyways."

Here's the meme about blogging which I stole [Wooo!]:

How do you feel about being tagged for memes?

I have grown fond of the meme where people add at the end, "If you'd like to do this one, steal it, grab it, 'cause that's your habit" rather than tagging, for a couple of reasons. First of all, usually I have trouble finding people to tag who haven't been tagged before. And some people write their posts ahead of time, so if I ask them to play, they have to interrupt their schedule or postpone the meme until it has lost its timely "zing." I'm not saying I'll never tag specific people again or that I'm put off by it, but I shy away from it.

On a related note, I'm becoming a bit distracted, yea, even disenchanted, with awards. Three years ago, when someone thought enough of me to award me, I was so touched. But since then, I notice there is a glut of awards out there, and I'm afraid they've lost their meaning or their uniqueness. Maybe I'm wrong. Plus, if a blogger lines up all of her "trophies" on her sidebar, I think it intimidates some people or sends the wrong message. Maybe. Maybe not.

You may have noticed I added the new "following this blog" widget to my sidebar. At first I thought it looked fun, now I'm wondering about it.

Again, I'm not saying I don't like awards or that I'll never give them or that I don't like the cuteness of them or that I'm not appreciative when someone gives me one. I just think there is a boatload of them out there right now. However, lately, I have particularly liked the "I love your blog" award. See? I'm not a grouch.

[Why do I know there is someone out there ready to give me a piece of her mind right now for being a jerk? Maybe I'll get the "Hey, You're a Jerk!" award.]

Do you participate in any regular weekly memes? Which ones?

I mean to, but sometimes I forget or I have a post scheduled for that day and don't want to postpone it. Like Barbara and Cindy, I see such memes as a way of reaching out to others who might not normally read my blog. And I like meeting new people through memes.

Have you found any bloggers that you began to read regularly after participating in a meme with them?

Hmm. I'm not sure. Maybe Jodi from Moody Blue, whom I love. We also talk American Idol and Lost. And tattoos. But I'm thinking we met through Thursday Thirteen. She should feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Now watch, she won't even read this post, and I'll be humiliated. [Or she's going, "Linda who?"]

Do you know of any readers who found you through a meme and became regular readers?

Here I am totally stealing Cindy: I'm not sure! If you found me through a meme and you're now a regular reader, will you let me know? Thanks!

Did you find any favorite blogs through comments or blogrolls on others’ blogs?

I would say I'm more likely to visit because of a comment I read than because someone appears on someone's blogroll. I am drawn to humor.

Did you find any favorite blogs from someone else’s recommendation?

I don't think so.

If you comment on someone’s blog, do you expect a response? If so, do you prefer that response to come through an e-mail, a comment from them on the same post, or a a comment on your blog?

I think I kind of do expect a response, although that sounds so demanding. Maybe a better word is "hope" instead of "expect." I prefer them to comment on my blog about it, even if my current post isn't related. I'm not sure why because that doesn't seem logical. Logically, one would keep the conversation going on the original post. Oh well! [shrug.] Obviously, if it's personal, I prefer email for everyone's sake.

Do you ever struggle with your blogging “voice”?

No. What you see, I mean, what you read is what you get, although I have been told several times that I come across differently in person than in writing. Apparently, I'm Whoopi Goldberg on the blog and Margaret Thatcher in real life.

Are there certain types of blogs that attract you?

Yes. See the blogroll, but also there are some I read regularly that I haven't gotten around to adding. I love humor. And I think it's perfectly fine for bloggers to have opinions about things, even if I don't agree with their opinions. I like personalities better than cardboard cutouts.

Are there certain types of blogs that repel you?

Definitely. Overly preachy, sermonizing posts, epic-length posts, husband-worship posts and foul language. But let me say that I have been guilty of such faux pas in the past, except for language. I'm not saying I can't abide an occasional TLTR post (like this very one you're reading now) or lavishing praise upon the spouse. But if it becomes a recurring event, I probably drop in less often.

What time of day do you usually blog?

It varies, but I usually write at night and then set it to post automatically the next day or next few days.

Do your family and friends know about your blog? Do they read it? Do they mind if you mention them? Do they suggest posts for it?

Oh yes. Include my co-workers in there, too. I'm surprised by comments that people will make out of the blue that tell me they've read a post. And then sometimes, people claim to read it, but I can tell they don't. I think they think it will hurt my feelings if they don't.

People suggest posts to me all the time, and I LOVE it! Sometimes a little silly event will occur around home, and my kids will yell, "BLOG!" as if to say, "We know where this is going!" No one has ever said, "Don't mention me," but I don't think my kids are crazy about it. Oh well!

Just today, my husband (the bestest, most wonderfullest, spiritually highest, handsomest bestest Daddy) told me that a co-worker suggested to him that I should blog about the company's big kickball tournament! Isn't that funny?! I love blogging!

40 comments:

Becky said...

You big jerk! Here is your "hey you're a jerk award...#%@!!!*@&

LOL, I'm kidding of course. I do love your blog and your sense of humour and my deepest apologies for over praising my Venti Hubs with whip and not responding to you directly when you have left comments on my bloggy. LOL again because I totally agree with you about the awards and such... they seem a little overused but I don't mind the thought.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Well, readers, thanks to Becky, we have affirmed my jerkiness, so I hope that precludes any further "Jerk Awards" today! And don't anyone jump her case because I know she's kidding. Or, perhaps she meant to say, "You're a PERK!" as in COFFEE, or as in a "bonus!" HA! Also, please do not be offended at any of my remarks--as I said, I have done all of these on my list and more. I'm just allowing myself to have a personality in this post rather than be a cardboard cutout. Don't take it too seriously! Wooo!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Anyone know how to get Becky off my blogroll??? :)

Smelling Coffee said...

I'm still pretty new at this blog thing, and learned some valuable info. on blogging through your post today. Probably lots of people share your opinions on these things... I'm still working on forming mine. :-)

My ADHD Me said...

You are funny. I received an award yesterday but luckily it was the I LOVE YOUR BLOG award. That seems to have passed your inspection. (whew!).

I'm reltively new at blogging anyway, so I still get that , Aw Shucks, feeling.

Last of all...I didn't know what a Whirling Dirvish was so I Goggled It. Except for the fact that all I could find were men, from foreign countries, wearing those hats that at this moment the names of them have slipped my mind.....THEY COULD HAVE BEEN ME!! haha. I think you hit the nail on the head....so to speak.

My ADHD Me said...

P.S. Don't you just hate it when you re-read your comment, it looks fine, and as you hit submit you quickly notice that you wrote Dirvish instead of Dervish....just as it goes through...

Ang baylis said...

You and your blog crack me up whenever I stop by for a visit. I have a tendency to be too serious, so I need to get a little humor in the mix! You never fail to make smile!
Thanks for doing it again!
Lots of love,
Angie xoxo

Sharon said...

Lidna -- I Ken Lee you! Your humor is so quirky and amusing. I'm a bit of a newbie at blogging myself, so if you want to "tag" me or "award" me ..... ANYTHING for that matter .... I'd be honored. Just not that JERK award, thank you. Now, of course, I do expect you to reply to this comment, as mentioned in your post today. ha! Keep up the good work and thanks for being REAL.

Smilingsal said...

I began blogging this June, and I've been touched by each award, but it is getting old now, especially the awards with the "rules" attached; they can take HOURS to prepare for posting.
I saw Cindy's post when she first mentioned this meme. I like some of the questions, but not others. I wonder if I can pick and choose because it does take a while to read through.

Mocha with Linda said...

This was a jolly good post. Of course, I admit to looking on your blogroll to see if I was there! LOL

So do you really have bumper stickers for your blog? Or is that just some cool computer program? Because you are the coolest!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

No bumper stickers as yet, but that's a great idea! I have looked into ordering mugs and mousepads with my header on them, just for kicks.

Kim said...

I think the video that you post should be of you doing your cheer: "Steal it! Grab it! That's our hab-it! Wooooo!" [Insert kick and spirit fingers.]

Thanks for the fun yet informative post! :)

Barbara H. said...

Thanks for doing this! I had fun reading your answers.

I hadn't thought about awards for this meme. I do love that people think enough about me to send me one, and I was especially thrilled with the first few. But it began to look a bit pretentious to have them listed in my sidebar, so I put them all under a link there called "The Kindness of Friends." The hardest part is always who to pass them them on to. Some people don't "do" awards or even acknowledge them, so then I end up sending them to the same people all the time, which is fine, but it can seem like we're all just patting each other on the back. Which I guess is ok in itself.

I wondered about the bumper sticker, too, and thought that would be really neat -- but then thought I didn't think I'd really want strangers in the Wal-Mart parking lot or the guy I accidentally cut off in traffic finding me online. :-)

I can't remember for sure how I first found you! I can't remember how I found most of the people I read, but it was probably through memes or comments.

Cyndy said...

Ahhh...Lidna, I ken lee you too. In fact I think you should start a ken lee award! (snort) Thanks for making me giggle this morning and for not being made of cardboard. :)

Susanne said...

Margaret Thatcher's comment almost made me snort coffee through my nose. I have really got to stop taking swigs of it while reading here. You totally crack me and always have right from the very 1st post I read. And speaking of which that would be from a link at "She Lives". That's how I "found" you. Then I read your Donny post way back then and well the rest is history. :v)

I definitely link to new people through the comments on blogs I read. I never read people's blogrolls anymore. I have put mine on a seperate page. I was getting very insecure thinking maybe I had forgotten someone off of it or hadn't gotten around to adding them and that feelings would be hurt. I couldn't stand the pressure. :vD

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Hey Lidna-

I think you could fill out a civil service application and make it funny. ;>)

LZ Blogger said...

Linda - I thought this was a very interesting post / meme. But I am not much for Awards or for DOING memes. But I do likes reading OTHER'S Memes! Funny (peculiar) huh? ~ jb///

Marina said...

these was a really good post I see now what you mean. Iagree with the thing on the meme, and yes some women do go on about parsing there husbands yad, yad, yad no ones hubby is perfect. ") LOL!!

but its good to love them") marina

skoots1mom said...

i've always admired maggie thatcher...
"If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing." and
"Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by the traffic from both sides." and finally,
"I seem to smell the stench of appeasement in the air." quotes by
Margaret Thatcher

She never leaves you wondering what she meant...
with a twist of tongue in cheek...
MagLiddie...yeah, it fits : )

"MoodyBlue" Jodi said...

Linda who? ONLY KIDDING!! Hehehehe, couldn't resist.

I do love you too Linda. You have a wonderful personality. Your sense of humor cracks me up. I love your blog because of it and it shows the real you. The same woman who has a love for Jesus, her husband, her kids. You have a love of my favorites Lost & American Idol. We both have a fondness for paper cheese! Call us weird, call us crazy...as long as you call us. Hehehe.

Now thinking about how we met. Gosh, my memory is shot. It may have been through Thursday Thirteen or maybe through something for Lost or AI.

Thank you for mentioning me!! You are the sweetest!

PS..I love the tattoo talk Linda..One day I may even convince you to get one. Alright, maybe just a stick-on one. LOL!

Debbie said...

Okay, I admit I still like the affirmation of an award or seeing my blog on someones blogroll. I really love my new flag counter so I can see where in the world people are visiting me from.

I agreed with most of the rest of your answers, especially the blogs that repel you.

The Whoopi/Margaret thing was hillarious.

Ballerina Girl said...

Ok, so ...no jerkiness allowed, not too much husbands or awards posts...
did i get it all there?
No, just joking...I enjoy your blog and glad that I found you!
I have received an award, and yes, it felt good! Now...well, I am still waiting for the next one! hahaha~LOL
So, don't see my flower on the blogroll over there???
Have you deserted me, my 2nd cup of coffee??
:) Have a great day!
BG

Teri~Facedown said...

Yo Lid,
Thanks for setting me straight in blogland. I tend to be pretty husband loving on my blog...I might need to take a picture of his dirty socks on the floor just so everyone knows how much his sock leaving bothers me!

I am totally kidding!

This was so funny! Also, I do not like the awards because I am more of an inclusive person...I feel like the awards are sort of like how I didn't get on homecoming court...but I'm not bitter! How might you ask is it like that? Well only a certain amount of people can get the award...

Lets make up our own awards....

Gwendolyn said...

I have anxiety attacks about how to respond to comments. I always just go to the person's blog to respond, because what if I respond on my blog and they never come back? Like, it was just a drive-by comment? Then the fact that they might never know that I was polite enough to respond to them makes my eye twitch.

I think it is possible that blogging is hazardous to my health.

Breanne said...

Huh - I never thought about the awards that way. Taking them of my side. Love the bumper sticker.

Shannon said...

Thanks for stopping by and entering the giveaway!

Chatty Kelly said...

I, too, am getting disenchanted with the whole "award" tagging, and game tagging. If I want to play, I will, and I hate to have to be tagged. Having said that I did just receive teh "I love your blog" award and I just LOVED that, EVERYONE can tell me they love my blog. Even if you don't. ;-)

People also tell me "You should blog about...". I tell them, "No, YOU should get a blog and blog about it." My blog is for my thoughts. But thanks for offering.

My favorite thing over here was the Ken Lee phrase. I mean, it still cracks me up today. But I Ken Lee all your blogs. and the funny pictures.

Becky said...

A special "Thank you" award for everyone who did not jump on my case about calling Linda a jerk because I was KIDDING :-D

A special "Understanding" award for Linda for understanding that I KEN LEE her blogginess to the nth degree and I do believe I would Ken Lee her in person too... she is definitely a PERK!

A special "Good Idea" award to cyndy for thinking of a KEN LEE award. C'mon Linda it won't count unless you do it. ;-)

And a special "YIPPEE" award for ang baylis for commenting on my blog and calling me hillarious :-p Nice to meet you too.

Linda, I'm on your blogroll??? My apologies. ;-)

Edie said...

I actually like awards but I'm not crazy about the rules that go with them. 1) I don't think that praise should come with strings attached. 2) I'm sure to pass it on to someone who's less than thrilled with awards. 3) I'm sure to leave someone out who would love to receive an award. 4) I don't want to offend the person who gave me the award and not pass it on, but I certainly would give them an honorable mention.

It's almost a no win situation. I have to admit that I have had it on my list to offer free "no-strings awards" like my free Scripture Tags, for anyone who just wants to be nice to someone. (That was not intended to be a shameless promotion - really.)

I'm actually complimented when I find my blog in someones blog roll, but I have to admit I'm having a hard time keeping mine updated and worried about offending.

I like to receive comments from people who's blogs I comment on. It doesn't have to be every post and all the time but I have to admit that I am offended when they never comment back. It makes me wonder if I have offended them in some way.

I love to laugh and I love to think deep so I like a variety of blogs. I enjoy seeing peoples personalities in their blogs.

I'm not especially fond of really lengthy posts, much like this comment! Ugh - I am so sorry - questions just beg to be answered. Will close. Love you - Bye! :D

PJ said...

Too funny!

Joanna said...

Love the pic - jolly good. I'm trying not to choke on my water from laughing!

KLM said...

thanks for reading my blog and leaving me a comment! it made my day! :)

Kimberly said...

You're funny and informative, too. Why, you could say you perform a public service with your blog!

I agree about the husband-worship but it also really bugs me when there's husband-bashing. Or any kind of bashing. I really admire bloggers who can walk that fine line and be funny without being mean. That's not easy! There have been many times when I want to be funny but re-reading what I've written makes me realize it's going to come across as unkind, even though that's not my intention. So the delete button gets used extensively. *sigh*

gail@more than a song said...

I like the "grab it if you want" ones too!
Thanks for stopping by...and you like/love Lost! How fun, I'm hooked but is it ever coming back on? I'm frustrated and want them to get with it and finish it already! I love reality tv, have watched idol since beginning but am trying to decide whether to stick with it this year!

gail@more than a song said...

p.s.
Believing God was one of my favorite studies! I think I should go through it again.

Lelia Chealey said...

Amen sista!!! Loved your truthful heart. I'm so glad I never awarded you cuz there would probably be snot running down my face from sobbing right now! ;) Just kidding. I'm pretty shy when I receive those things even though they are nice, I too don't have a trophy case on my sidebar. I just thank the giver and get back to blogging. I am not into tagging at all, so if anyone has tagged me... you're still it.

Now, I believe when I met you this summer I did say I expected you to be more like Lidna, but I don't believe I compared you to Thatcher!! Goodness, my friend, you're too easy on the eyes for that!
I can't even imagine daily posts about my superman. He'd probably throw up on me.
Love ya lots,
Lelia

Mommy, the Human Napkin said...

Linda, your blog is one of my favorites and I've had you bookmarked forever now! Your posts are either hilarious and make me do the snorty laugh or they're deep and meaningful and make me think. Either way, I'm going to jump on the "Ken Lee" bandwagon. (My husband and I have started using that phrase in real life... people look at us funny.)

I don't remember how I found your blog, though. I think you commented on one of my posts - maybe a Works-for-Me Wednesday? I do know it was before I changed my blog name from MomInTandyLand. That's my real last name, and you commented and asked if I was related to Jessica Tandy.

My two posts from today might scare people, though.

samurai said...

Now that is funny! Thank you for sharing!

Laurie Ann said...

Too funny! I love your blog! You crack me up. Re: the blog awards, I am a relatively new blogger, so I'm very touched when I receive one. Ask me 3 years later...they may be like myspace comments, just "one of those things you do" and become too routine. For right now, though, they've really encouraged me. I don't think you'd win a Jerk Award for opining over them, though. LOL. Have a great weekend!

Heth said...

I feel the same way about memes and awards. They were great at first, now I'm not so sure.