Monday, October 06, 2008

Fall Into Flavor, Week 1

*EDIT: Go ahead and click Mr. Linky to add your dish. I probably chose the wrong format, which is why you can't automatically see everyone without clikcing first, but I'm afraid if I change it now, I'll lose the links that are there.*

As I announced last Friday, today is the first installment of "Fall Into Flavor," a weekly homage to the comfort foods of Fall.

I'll bet you have some favorite family recipes that you'd be proud to share with us: stews, pies, casseroles, cobblers. Healthy choices have their place, but this ain't it, sister. Bring on the butter, cream, sugar, bacon and ... more buttah.

Tell us from whom you inherited the recipe (or if it's just one you love) and why you love it and any other special notes of memories or servings tips, etc.

The world is your oyster dumplin'. Here's my first contribution, a salute to my great state, Indiana, which has more cornfields than grass:

Corn Chowder

3 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
4 oz. bacon, diced
3/4 c. chopped onion
2 (15 oz) cans creamed corn
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
3/4 c. whole milk
1/4 c. butter or margarine
1 (8 oz) block of Velveeta, cubed
Salt and Pepper to taste
*Optional: You can substitute cooked ham for the bacon. Or sausage.

1. Place potatoes in a pot with just enough water to cover. Bring to boil then simmer gently until tender. Do not drain.

2. Fry bacon with onion until crisp. Drain and set aside. Now turn back around and sample the bacon, just because you want to and no one will know.

3. Stir bacon & onions, corn, evap milk, reg milk, butter, cheese, salt and pepper into potatoes. Heat, stirring 10 mins, until cheese and butter are melted into an artery clogging consistency and all is thoroughly heated.


I supposed you could cancel out the artery constipation by also offering a salad. But it's not a requirement. I'm also into adding small jars of drained pimientos into yellow foods. Makes it prettier and zestier.

Please share the comfort food that helps your family "Fall Into Flavor!"

37 comments:

skoots1mom said...

quick...pretty easy...only one pan needed
peanuts are my favorite...and their Fall flair...
this reco[e isn't too FALL-Y but I love lettuce wraps...and I adore EZ!
enjoy...can't wait to read and try the myriad of contributions I know u will be receiving...

Tiff said...

Oh my goodness, I'm soooo makin' this!
Will try to come up with a recipe later today. What a neat theme for fall. :o)

Merrie said...

Oh YUMMMM! I love corn chowder, but have never attempted to make it. Now, I can give it a try.
I have posted and linked... What a fun thing to do!

Sandy Toes said...

How yummy! But, a little hint...use some bacon drippings and it will even be better...a trick from my Grandma...love corn chowder!
-Sandy Toes

Gwendolyn said...

I wish I had read this yesterday before I went to the grocery store, so I could make it tonight! Sounds yummy! :o)

Robin Lambright said...

I may have to try this one when my hubby comes home from his trip! I "so" do not cook while he is away on business.

Greg C said...

Is that pronounced Chow-Da. Cause it if isn't, it isn't the real thing. I will have to drag out some of my favorites.

Tammy said...

Oh yummy.....a trip to the store is now in order. Thanks for sharing. I might have to bust out the cookbooks today.

Jules from "The Roost" said...

It is rainy and cool here today and I would love to order, I mean make, that soup!:)

Susan said...

This sounds so yummy! I need to try and make it this week. I do have a couple of Fall recipes. I am hoping to get in on this and share in the next day or so.

Hugs,

Susan

Smelling Coffee said...

I can't wait to see the entries! Maybe I'll even try my own this go around. :-)

lmerie said...

Thanks for sharing - I have been looking for more soup recipes to have for the fall/winter. Easy meals for the busy days!

Susanne said...

Yummy! That sounds like something right up our alley since we live next door to the corn capital of Canada.

Kim said...

YUM! I LOVE corn "chow-da" (as Greg says). I have a yummy recipe for one that has chicken in it as well...I'll pass that along in another week.

New recipes are right up my alley Ms. Linda! Twill be fun! (although I may be forced to stick in some healthier versions in light of my recent quest!)

Blessings!
Kim

CIELO said...

Good morning, I'm here via my friend "Skoots1mom"--she suggested I visit your blog today.... I'm glad I did. Come taste my pumpkin bread! :)

Cielo

Patricia Warren said...

I love corn chowder...I'm checking the extended forecast so I can make this the next cool evening!

Thanks for coming up with this meme!

Sara@ Butterville said...

Shoot! I forgot about this...I'll have to get in next time. My latest posting was planned awhile ago and goes with the date...so I can't change it. Is it weekly?

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Oh, yum.

As soon as I saw the title, I thought of a Simpsons clip where the mayor is arguing with the waiter of how to say "chowder." Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Cheryl said...

I'm adding the corn chowder to my fall menus!
I;ve added my post to Mr. Linky. Now I'm off to read some more recipes! yum!!!+

DidiLyn said...

I'm glad you're setting this all up, Linda. I will come back by and peruse recipes. Can't wait!

Edie said...

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm! That sounds delicious! Now all you need is a "Printer Friendly" link. :D

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

edie: what is a printer-friendly link??

Merrie said...

So, I'm going to expose my complete lack of intelligence... how do I get the "Fall into Flavor" thing (I don't even know what to call it) on my blog? I WANT one!!! Okay, so I felt like my 2 year old grandson when I typed that...

Mocha with Linda said...

"Artery Constipation"?! Too funny!

nothingcanseparateme said...

One of the reasons that fall is my fav. time of the year is the big pot of soup on the stove just a simmering away!!! MMMMMMMM

I can't wait to try this recipe!

Thank you for sharing it!
Kim from PA

Kay said...

Great idea to do a Mr Linky for this! Loved the kitty video...cracked me up! :-D

Bridget said...

Fall foods are my favorite!! They are an easy way to get cozy with your lovie and just relax. :)

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

I can imagine that dish on a cold wet and rainy fall day. Thanks for sharing

Elizabeth said...

The soup looks fabulous!

carrie said...

I hope you don't mind that I'm adding a food post I did a couple weeks ago. But the recipe is sooo good and not good for you at all, so I thought it would be perfect.

Linda said...

Yummy! It looks good. :)

Cindy said...

Chowder dishes are not something I grew up eating, but I love all the ingredients in this dish so I'm gonna whipped up a bowl as soon as the weather gets a little cooler.

carol ~ i throw like a girl said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment on my Longhorn post, it made my day!

I linked a recipe I posted on my blog back in August, but it really is a cool weather comfort food recipe.

I can't wait to check everyone's recipes out!

carol ~ i throw like a girl said...

Hi! Thanks for your comment on my Longhorn post, it made my day!

I linked a recipe I posted on my blog back in August, but it really is a cool weather comfort food recipe.

I can't wait to check everyone's recipes out!

Smelling Coffee said...

I did it! I used Mr. Linky for the first time! :-) Can't wait to check out all of the recipes.

Nadine said...

That sounds yummy. I love corn chowder. Thanks for the recipe.

Jeanette said...

In southeast Texas we don't do the "Fall Foods" until Thanksgiving. I will make your chowder after Thanksgiving dinner. I'm from New Mexico and we make "Green Chili Stew" to warm our pallets and our tummies. I'll post my recipe soon.