Monday, October 27, 2008

Sweet 16

Funny: When I tried to publish the slide show below, it kept displaying pictures of a Hispanic family. I could not figure it out, but I guess this particular slide show is a template in everyone's draft format until they publish their own slide show. Because I'm so exhausted from the weekend with the girls, I thought I had called my husband "Jorge" one too many times and was now hallucinating about who my family truly is.

And btw, that is not my daughter's real smile in the pic. That is her "cooperative but insincere" smile, which I've grown to accept as a reasonable facsimile of a smile simply because it's not the grimace face. I would not subject you to the grimace face, especially if your sweet child has not yet turned into a teenager because you would not be emotionally prepared for the parent-deflecting grimace face. I am a compassionate soul.

Anyway, here's the Sweet 16 Birthday revue:

Saturday, as Kristin fell asleep in our family room (late afternoon), one by one, her stealth ninja friends arrived and proceeded to turn our minivan into a birthday mobile. They fixed up the inside as well as outside with balloons and crepe paper and window messages. Kristin was totally surprised about this mission. I was happy that she was surprised because it's difficult to surprise 16 year-olds. Unless you tell them they don't have to clean their rooms.

We listened to loud music all the way to Indy, and because of a certain mall at which the girls chose to shop, we ended up eating at Steak~n~Shake instead of a nicer place. After the meal, they shopped until the mall closed. That is why they are faking tiredness in the pic on the left.

We then went back to the hotel into a small conference room where we ate cake and Kristin made out like a little bandit with Starbucks, Books-a-Million and Itunes cards. At 16, they still like to make each other birthday cards and include private jokes, which I think is pretty sweet. One of those jokes is about napping, which is ironic considering she had just been awakened from a nap earlier. In fact, one of Kristin's favorite hobbies is napping. The girl loves to sleep.

In a room directly across from ours, the girls watched DVDs and played cards late into the night, and the next morning, after we woke them for breakfast, they went swimming, and then, guess what we did? We went shopping again!

After we shopped, guess what we did? We ate again!

Then we listened to more loud music all the way home!

A great time was had by all. Two of the girls in the group, the very blonde and the striped shirt girl, Kristin has known since toddler years. The other two she met later in life. They are all nice girls who share our faith, which is helpful.

She doesn't actually turn 16 until November 7, but we had to celebrate this weekend in order to include her four friends. And on the 7th, she'll be at a youth retreat. So, she's actually sweet 15 for a few more days, and I'm totally OK with that--This is my baby, y'all.


41 comments:

Kim @ My Journey said...

Oh this looks like so much fun! What a great gift to take her friends away for a weekend of shopping. Looks like she had so much fun.

RosyRose said...

so sorry! it is
Jasonyoder2@juno.com

Mocha with Linda said...

What fun. She's so cute. Cute picture of her as a little one, even if you did dress her in bandanas. Are you sure you aren't from Texas?

Oh, and great job with your spelling this time. Love, Lizzie B. :-)

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Tee-hee...son-over-shoulder (SOS) age 15 saw slide show and said "Who's that..what's this?" Told him and then he asked where you lived. He was bummed that it is several states away...cute girls!!! DANG it!

carol ~ i throw like a girl said...

Awwww, she's so pretty! Happy Sweet 16, Kristin!

Susanne said...

The McSneakerton's did a great job! What a fun idea, Linda, for a sweet 16! She'll remember that forever.

Nadine said...

Happy Sweet 16. They grow up so fast don't they.

Brenda Susan said...

Ha! Yah, I totally recognized the distinct flavor of that smile! She sure is a cutie though, you should be very proud! Sounds like a perfect sweet 16 party day!

Huse Yo Mama said...

Oh, to be 16 again!!

Becky said...

So much fun! Days at the mall with the bffs are the best!

Theresa said...

Suprise we're taking you to work camp......I've got to remember that one when my stepdaughter turns 16!

Looks like you all had a great time.

When my twins turned 16 (a boy and a girl) we had a sweet and sour 16th!

Smilingsal said...

What fun you had with your daughter! Linda, you've been Boo-ed! Come find out what that means. :-O

lmerie said...

Too Fun! Looks like you had a great time ~ the slide show was fun - love the work camp! HA

lmerie said...

Too Fun! Looks like you had a great time ~ the slide show was fun - love the work camp! HA

Liz said...

What great memories you made for her. That's so cool!

Debbie said...

What a great mom you are and what a wonderful birthday you gave her. I'm sure behind that camera smile is a real one beaming out.

Chatty Kelly said...

Happy B day Kristin! fun! And good for you "mom" for making it fun - that fake smile is just a FAKE - inside she is glowing. Just can't let mom know. It's a teen thing.

Gwendolyn said...

What a great birthday surprise! I can't show this to my daughter...she will be jealous. LOL

Wendi @ Every Day Miracles said...

Aww! That is like the ultimate birthday fun! :) How sweet.

Beverlydru said...

Thanks for letting us in on the party. Fun! November is birthday month around here too. My grandmother is 102 on the 8th! She gets the proze for most elderly. : )

Marina said...

Happy Birthday Kristin!! looks like you had fun ")

Linda your daughter is so pretty, love, marina

Kimmie said...

Happy Sweet 16 to Kristin. She could be my best friend b/c napping and shopping are two of my FAVORITE things.

Joanna said...

So you're saying the snarl is going to remain a few more years? Oh dear!

Happy Birthday to your daughter.

Luanne said...

Ran across your site via Lysa's. Your party has inspired me--I have two girls--15 and 16!

Also, Have a son that goes to Taylor in Indiana--can't be too far from you--so we have been in Indiana a few times in the last month.

God bless!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Happy Birthday!

samurai said...

That is so cool! I have a few years before i have to worry about such things - but it is cool to read about your surprise for your daughter.

Ron said...

one more 16 to go .. well .. kids 16 .. I have manged to survive 6 'sweet sixteen' birthdays .. my son just turned 13 last weekend .. however, 3 years after the last kid turns 16, the grandkids start hitting that number .. and there are 6 of them to date .. and one on the way .. wondering when (and hoping never) it will end ..

ron
www.won-by-one.blogspot.com

God's girl said...

I loved your post on Friday about the drug names! Very clever. Sounds like you had fun with the girls. congrats on your almost 16-year old:) Blessings!

Heth said...

You are one Dang Fun Mom.

Happy Birthday Kristin!

Stacy said...

This is so sweet! What a special time with your daughter and her friends. I look forward to times like this with my little ones.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I truly enjoy reading yours. You always manage to make me laugh!

Jackie @ Our Moments Our Memories said...

Happy Birthday! Celebrating like that AND getting all of those awesome gift cards sounds like the perfect birthday to me.

Every time I go back to Indy, I HAVE to go to Steak N Shake. Call me weird, but I love that place.

Regina said...

Wow, aren't you the best mom!! They all look like they had a ball!
Happy Birthday to your baby!!

Ballerina Girl said...

looks like fun was had by all...
even in the fake grimace ;)
BG

Debbie said...

Looks like a good time was had by all!

Happy Birthday wishes to Kristin!

Linda Vujnov said...

You are a great mama. This looks so fun!!

12-arrows said...

You are just so cute and I loved your Sweet 16 post! Your daughter is adorable too! I totally laughed at the photo you tagged we are taking you to work camp. Love it! I still laugh at that one! I know the teenage years are tough, I only have boys in the throws of them right now, but someday they will cherish the time you took with them and hold them dear to their hearts.

Robin Lambright said...

My girlchild has just turned 13. She is easing her feet into the youth group and forming friendships and getting into all the teenage activities. My son was so different (rebellious) and never wanted to participate in stuff like that. I am looking forward to all the fun things to come in her teen years.
It looked like alot of fun. Daughters are a blessing!
Robin

jennifer@love,laughter,and lyrics said...

How fun! I love the pictures!

Miscellaneous From Missy said...

Happy Birthday, Kristin!

Cathy Davis said...

I love those little ninjas! Very cute.

My daughter had to drive the mom-mobile for her drivers test - mawhahahaha

HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY LITTLE ANGEL

PJ said...

Too much fun! Jorge is a good sport to let them decorate his van -- or are you the good sport??!

Eat and Sleep. That's what she'll be best at for the next....oh 10 years or so...but then you know that ...she's the baby. You have some older ones who come home to sleep -- and bring dirty laundry!! She'll do that too.

Love the little cowgirl!!!