Sunday, November 30, 2008

Every Tuesday and Thursday Night. I'm There.

"Ace of Cakes": My favorite nonfiction entertainment. The Ace of Cakes is a Food Network production about Charm City Bakery in Baltimore, a bakery run by artistic people cooler than you'll ever meet, unless you meet my crack youth staff. I've been thinking that the "cast" or employees in this show are similar to the people with whom I work.

For instance, once the owner, Duff Goldman, bounded into the bakery announcing to everyone, "Success!" because he had just purchased laser lights and a fog machine to use in the cake for the movie "Get Smart."

It's not uncommon for our head youth pastor to enter the office the same way, holding up the latest purchase which will allow the staff to execute the best skit or object lesson or video. Once we procured real bows and arrows and booked Stephanie Arnold, an Olympic archer, to come to Oneighty. As a promo video, we ran around outside pretending to shoot each other. (You had to be there or see the video to understand the depth and range of emotion behind the "acting.") And once we had a live reindeer at a Christmas party with yellow snow cones. (Get it? "Don't eat the yellow snow!")

Anyway, I do relate somewhat to Mary Alice, the office manager, the sole voice of reason (doubt and sarcasm) when Duff and the crew take on unbelievably impossible cake creation assignments. But she's a little nice and fun, too, just like me.

And I heart Geof, the hippie-dippie-hippie who speaks second on the video below. His wryness makes the show.

I heard that people hang around outside this bakery waiting to meet the staff, and that the staff regularly get "crush" fan mail. Just goes to show that in America, even a baker can be a rock star.

If you can't get the show where you are, here's a link to a 2 min. video that demonstrates the feel of the show:
video.

22 comments:

sara said...

I LOVE this show!! It is one of my favs too! But have you gone to their website and seen how much those cakes cost?!!! yikes! Not to mention that he is booked YEARS in advance!!! ....still a girl can dream!

Mocha with Linda said...

I made a cake like that yesterday.

Yeah, right. That was incredible! I want some of that "modeling chocolate." Wow.

That cake was too pretty to cut!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Oneighty? Small world. I was a leader in the first Oneighty at Church on the Move in Tulsa. Sang in the worship band. Our current pastor at the church we're at now was the youth pastor before Blaine Bartel. Like I said ... Small World.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I love it, too. Hubs think Geof always sounds depressed. He's my fav. one on the show. My fav. cake has been the french toast with the little french mouse. What about you?

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Ya know, these cakes are less real cake and more edible sculpture. I did indeed see the mouse cake, and it was adorable. I don't know as I could say which is my favorite.

Greg C said...

I am guessing that me might have that show but I have never seen it. I am trying to diet here and watching food shows doesn't help. I posted a link to your blog on mine. I think you should check it out and no I am not looking for brownie points. :)

My expressions LIVE said...

Never knew about thsi show.....thanks for the insight...

Mel said...

Ok I normally steer away from cooking shows because well they make me feel inadequate...but my 17 year old dd got me hooked on that show...their cakes are so awesome!!

fransmomma said...

i love ace of cakes, and i actually watched the episode last night with the Get Smart cake. Geof is definately my favorite. i appreciate dry humor.
i'm addicted to Food Network!!

Steph at The Red Clay Diaries said...

We love Ace of Cakes too! I think we've watched it from the beginning.

As for voice of reason, didn't it take them something like two seasons to figure out that the van was only SO tall and wouldn't hold tall cakes?

As for Geoff, we tend to rewind his comments to laugh at them twice. :)

Becky said...

Funny, funny stuff. It is a great show.

Smelling Coffee said...

We love that show, too. It must be fun to work in a church office with a youth minister like Duff! ;-)

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

I absolutely A-DORE Ace of Cakes, and I watched about a trillion episodes this weekend without regret.

Geof is seriously my fave, too. He is awesome of about 876 different levels even is he does appear to be completely stoned out of his mind...LOL!

Robin Lambright said...

My favorite Duff moment, they were making a large cake shaped like a yak, it had long stringy brown hair, they got the cake all finished and came in the next morning to find all the hair/icing had fallen off over night. Duff looks into the camera and says "It's a yac-tastrophie!"
Gotta love the crew at charm city cakes.

Tammy said...

One of my favorite shows too. I have always wanted to take one of those cake decorating classes. I will do it one day. I will!

What a fun team you work with!

Dorothy Champagne said...

I would've posted sooner, but I just spent the last hour looking at all the cakes online. My sister-in-law just opened up her own bakery, but she is awesome. www.chouxbakery.com

PJ said...

I haven't seen the show...but that cake looked great. Sounds like you have lots of fun at the office!!! Creative bunch!

Misty said...

ah, yes, we love duff and mary alice and geof. and the other girls, now that they're getting more screen time, they can be pretty snarky, er funny, too. good times! i read an interesting interview w/ duff asking why they never mention the tastes of the cake and if indeed they tasted good, and i was so impressed by d's answer... he said of course, b/cs first and foremost, he's a baker and that he realizes this is tv/reality show and it IS all about the visual, so that's what they focus on. i'm down.

Julie said...

I love that show too....

I wish I could be in YOUR youth group!!!

Sounds like WAY too much fun!

Marina said...

love that green cake makes me want to take a bite out of it ! hm,,, marinja

Joanna said...

I love watching Ace of Cakes! I keep waiting for Mary Alice to snap and smack Duff in the head. But I love his laugh so maybe that saves his noggin.

Debbie said...

I just love this show too. Try to catch Chefology about Duff. It is pretty interesting how he got started.