Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve-ness

The shopping has finally ended, the gifts are wrapped, the halls are decked, and not snow but ice is coming down. Instead of a white Christmas, I think we in Indiana are going to get a Narnia winter Christmas. In fact, if you put a laptop in front of Tilda the White Witch here, you would have an exact picture of me. I mean, look, she's even wearing a scarf like I do.

Our floors are cold; our house is cold. I know what it feels like to be a sandwich in a cooler.

It doesn't help that the Amish heater commercials are running nearly back to back. They always end with the admonition: "LIMIT TWO PER HOUSEHOLD!" Right now, I'd like to order about 37 of them, but don't tell my mom I even joked about that. Gee, look how real that flame looks in the pic.

A certain little puppy will be wearing a sweater inside the house if this keeps up. Besides her Christmas cape, I mean.

Yes, a Christmas cape.

Oh yes. There will be pictures, and they will be sweeter than the sweetened condensed milk in your cookie bars. I actually typed "cookie bras" and was tempted to leave it but thought better of it since we're almost at a religious holiday and all. I got class.

Yesterday I made:

Peanut butter cookies with Hershey's kisses in the middle
Rice Krispie Treats
Peanut butter fudge
Chocolate covered pretzels
Oatmeal Scotchies

And today, I baked two pies, but not from scratch. All of this to take to my brother's for an extended family celebration. But don't try to rob us when we're gone, because the watch dog will remain to protect the homestead. Mess with her, and you could be drinking wassail from a straw in a hospital bed, Bub.

I'm enjoying seasonal movies, my 2nd favorite being "The Bishop's Wife," with Cary Grant and Loretta Young and David Niven, whom my mother believes is a blood relative to Clinton Kelly because of the resemblance, which I would like to say right here and now that I pointed the resemblance out to her in the first place, but now she claims to have discovered this all on her own. I don't think so, Mom.

Also, I would like to say that we're both weird. By the way, "Hi, Clinton."










Well, that's all for today. I hope you and yours are are filled with joy as you celebrate Christmas. It's not just another holiday, and it's always conjoined with Easter in its full significance, which is why I like this picture. As my pastor has said many times, I'm not upset with God that he didn't provide a thousand different ways to bridge the divide between God and us. I'm thankful that he made A Way.

Jesus is God's love fully expressed. His banner over us is "Love." And that is something to celebrate!

32 comments:

Tiff said...

Hey, I think your Mom might have something with them resembling each other! too funny :o)
Have a Merry Christmas and try to stay warm...

Smilingsal said...

I love that picture of the shadow of the cross over the manager. Merry Christmas,Linda.

Pamela said...

Just wanted to say hi and Merry Christmas from the Cole/Swan clan.

Elizabeth Bonds said...

What a really fun Christmas Eve blog. Have a happy holiday!

Debbie said...

I love how we can travel to all parts of the country and the world by visiting each other's blogs. May you and your family have a blessed Christmas.

Ballerina Girl said...

What a great post...so here goes:
looking forward to fotos of the killer watchdog in a cape
love hershey kiss cookies!
sorry you are so cold...wish I had snow though :( only rain here
and last but not least
Merry Christmas to you and your family!!!
BG

sara said...

I love that picture too!

I was cold this morning when I got up, but I guess now I won't complain....our high is supposed to be 60 today.....guess you really didn't want to hear that! :)

Dena @ Green Acres said...

From our part of the bloggy world to yours, I pray you and your family have a very blessed holiday. Merry Christmas!

The Quiet One said...

Well, as usual you make me laugh and think and laugh again! Have a very Merry Christmas and stay warm! :o)

Chatty Kelly said...

Think cookie bra and then look at the picture of the cookie you took. LOL! Power of suggestion, I guess. Must remain chaste. Clear mind of bad thoughts...or end up on the naughty list.

MERRY CHRISTMAS GIRLFRIEND? Did you get my card via snail mail?

Faith said...

ilove the picture...
Stay warm...here in NYS we have had it all in the last 7 days: snow, ice, more snow, more ice, now rain....I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year!

Angie Ledbetter said...

Great reminder about the season. Looks like you're all ready! Hope your day and the New Year are great.

Beverly said...

Merry Christmas and I love Clinton Kelly!!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

Love the manger picture! Merry Christmas

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

Merry Christmas, Lil' Lady! Hate to tell you that we're wearing shorts today. Blasted! Would love the snow, but not enough to make me miserable. Enjoy your time with your family.

annie's eyes said...

How did I know I'd get a smile and a warm heart coming over here this morning? You provide a gift each day with your humor and your heart. Love the picture of the manger with the shadow of the cross. Blessed Christmas to you and your family. Warm hugs and sugar rushes wishes for you this day. Peace, much love, and good health are my prayer for you this next year! Love you, Annette

Kerri said...

I'm off to see if I can purchase a cookie bra! :) Actually, I decided I wanted to make some of my Grandma's Mississippi Dream Bars so I'm headed to the grocery store for supplies. Then, it's back to huddle by the little radiator heater...I'll share with you. It's quite cold and snowy here in Spokane this morning. Merry Christmas~

Susanne said...

Love that picture. I've never seen it before. Praise God for His great love towards us.

Merry, merry Christmas to you and your family, Linda. Keep that doggie warm!

Merrie said...

You sound like Molly Homemaker here! Have a fun time with family... I love cookie bras... they are great!
Love you and blessing for a most blessed holiday...Merrie Christmas!!!

Mocha with Linda said...

Love the picture. Reminds me of another old song - "He Was Born in the Shadow of a Cross."

Just for the record, I do think you are much nicer than Narnia's Ice Queen.

Merry Christmas from rainy, 70 degree Texas, my friend!

Becoming Me said...

You crack me up! Merry Christmas

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Merry Christmas, friend!!

I agree about the resemblance. Only Clinton is cuter. :>)

Mel said...

Merry Christmas Linda, may your holiday be blessed and stay bundled!!!

A Gracious Home said...

I can see the resemblance of Clinton and David. Doylene

Brenda Susan said...

You are so funny! Sorry you are one of those stuck in super cold-land! Hope you can cuddle up & get cozy before the day is over.
Meanwhile I'm gonna go see where I can buy a cookie-bra, my hubby would love it!!
Merry Christmas!

Leigh said...

Merry Christmas!!!

Devita said...

Hi Linda!!! Merry Christmas!!

Linda said...

A cape for your baby?! I can't wait to see that! I love all the goodies you made...yummy!

Merry Christmas!

Dutch said...

I want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas

Amanda said...

Merry Christmas!

PJ said...

Classic Lidna! With just the right blend of serious, comedic, romantic and ... well, weird! However, I prefer the updated version of "The Preacher's Wife" with Whitney Houston to the original "The Bishop's Wife" with what's-his-face! I mean, Denzel Washington is such a wonderfully romantic angel/???!

Merry Christmas!!!

missy said...

david niven and clinton kelly...totally separated at birth! i never would have seen it myself, but kudos for you and your mother for noticing. your christmas looked like it was a lot of fun!