Monday, December 01, 2008

Monday Ordinariness---Listing the "Mondane" for Your Entertainment Pleasure












Whoa! Hold off on that Mondaneness--first you must go see Greg at Greg's General Store, who has done a whopping good job of promoting, free of charge to moi, "I See What You're Saying, Christmas Edition!" He posted a 2 min. video yesterday encouraging you all to get going, because yesterday was the one month mark--remember--it's December 30th! Thanks, Greg! I'm about to bust out an appreciative Gregorian chant! I mistyped your name as "Greag," because I was thinking "Great!" and "Greg!" and that's what you get at 2nd Cup. Mangled excitement!

So NOW we can talk Mondane. Wow. How anticlimactic is that?


List of "to-do's" for this week because what could be more interesting to you than my plans for leftovers and even more gingerbread details?

This afternoon, I will visit a brand new doctor to figure out why my eyelids are still doing the best-ever imitation of Garfield the Cat's eyelids.

Throughout the week, I'll continue to work on my "construction project" (aka Taj Gingerbread Mahal) which I've spoken about ad nauseum here. Pictures to come soon, as soon as I get my new computer, which, btw, has been shipped! Oh happy day!

In the meantime, since I store all of my spare ginger parts in my spare room (How practical is that?) when you enter it's like you're in a gingerbread-scented bio-dome. Every time I crack that door, Zoe makes a mad dash, wildly searching for whatever that smell is. Being the super-intelligentsia that she is, she believes the treasure is under the bed, even though she's looked there 4,000 times already.

"Still," she thinks, "it would be just like that balloon-eyed woman to stash the goods under here, where she thinks I'll NEVER look. But I'll show her! Bwahahaha!" Then she goes under the bed and sniffs until I make her leave. What's funny is that where I have all of the ginger parts laid out is not that far off the ground, but since she's so tiny, she's clueless. Most dogs would have no problem finding them, but if it's 12" above ground, she can't conceive of it. That leaves "under the bed" the only viable hiding place in her world. Have I mentioned I love this little dog?

I must also continue to paint my water goblets for our women's ministry event called "The Gathering," happening this Friday night, where Stephen King, the guest speaker, will weave a holiday tale of a possessed gingerbread ax murderer who chases gingerbread people through a gingerbread house before cookie cutting them to death.

At work this week, I have a mailing to all of our middle schoolers in our database, which is approximately 1,000 kids. Talk about a bulk mailing. But I know that my crack staff of teenage interns will be SO excited to help me with this. For the right amount of Christmas M&M's, that is.

Wednesday, I have a newspaper column due. No topic as yet, which is only slightly anxiety-producing.

Last but not least: Tonight, leftovers.

2 T. butter
1 t. minced onion
1 t. green pepper
1/2 c. sliced celery
2 c. chopped turkey
1 can cream of chicken soup (or mushroom)
3/4 soup can of milk
Salt-n-Peppa

Brown onion, green pepper and celery in butter. Add turkey, soup, milk, salt-n-peppa. Simmer20 mins. May be served on hot biscuits, toast or buns.

Appropriately bland for a Monday menu, I'd say.

And that's my "Mondane" list. What does your first week of December hold?

17 comments:

Theresa said...

I like the recipe, even though I'm sick of turkey already, I think that I'm making that for dinner tonight.

The gingerbread man scares me.

Smelling Coffee said...

I can't help but think about your cute little dog searching only "low" (not "high and low") for the gingerbread, and how we do the same thing. God has something "higher" for us, but we can only find it when He lifts us up in His arms. Maybe that sounds a bit corny, but it was a pretty good word picture to me this morning.

Happy Monday! :-)

Melanie said...

I'm back to teaching high schoolers literature and Spanish.
On my list for this week: take down fall decor and search for Christmas accessories.
Thinking about a coastal theme for the tree...since we live on the Gulf coast.
Not much leftover turkey here - just enough to feed the pup!

My ADHD Me said...

I really really don't see how you find the time to blog.

As for the gingerbread man, as I said before...next year's centerpiece...bowl of gold or silver spray painted pine cones. (jk....you sometimes amaze me with your "craftiness")

40winkzzz said...

MY week? Not as interesting as yours. Edumacating my kids ad nauseum. Making magnetic horse hooves (don't ask) and other stuff for Wed nite Kids' Club, which I will probably end up doing in a mad rush at 4 pm Wed. And Friday nite, going to see my neices in their high school musical (note lower case here). I hope to start getting Christmas decorations out on Sat.

Well, you asked.

Liz said...

The recipe sounds yummy, but I think you may be going overboard with the onion and green pepper.:)
How do you measure 1 teaspoon of green pepper? Happy Monday.

Mocha with Linda said...

Love the "Mondane" moniker! You are too clever, as usual!

And you might be careful about calling your gingerbread structure the Taj Mahal. . .disaster might befall it!

As for me, I'm trying to figure out how to get Christmas errands done with my cast and not end up at the end of each day in pain. Oh and I also see my doctor this week.

Marina said...

how do you blog ?? its getting so hard these time of year ") love marina

Greg C said...

My schedule(pronounced shed you L) I love how english people say that word, for this week is pretty open. I will continue making Christmas crafts and continue dieting. I had a major setback last week. :(

Jodi said...

That sounds like alot on your plate! This week is busy for me too. Tomorrow I have an eye doctor appointment. Friday I have to take my Harley cat in to get an ultrasound and to get shaved. He desperately needs it.

Zoe is SO cute Linda. That sweet face of hers.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Ooo, hope the Garfield Eye Syndrome gets fixed quick!

Tonight it's the traditional after-Thanksgiving gumbo with the turkey carcass. Also have some writing & editing projects to finish up. Blogging, of course. And just posted a quick and fun Christmas quiz and contest. Y'all come if ya get a chance! http://angie-ledbetter.blogspot.com/

Lynn said...

Linda,.... delightful... delightful for a mondane post.... Love you girl. Hugs.

Dutch said...

It sounds like you have a very busy week ahead of you. I can't wait to see the gingerbread house. I buy the one at the store so my daughter and hubby can build it. My little dog goes crazy also when I am cooking something. I had the same leftovers yesterday but I used cream of mushroom soup and I put it in my crock pot. Have a wonderful week.

Susanne said...

Scary gingerbread man. I don't think he'd go over well at our ladies gathering. :v)

Zoe is too funny. It must make her crazy not finding the source of the smell!
The week? Busy, busy. Staff Christmas dinner, my sister's birthday, Christmas decorating, starting the Christmas baking.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Is Stephen going to give away any door prizes? Be careful with that one. ;>)

Can't wait to see the finished decorated table!

Rhonda said...

I love turkey leftovers.

I can't wait to see your finished glasses and your decorated table!!

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

"Salt-n-Peppa" must make this dish really groovy.

Your "Mondane" Monday cracks me up.