Monday, February 16, 2009

My Surprise? Cirque Du Soleil!


Look at that glorious color! I'm posting the show schedule below. If it's coming to a city near you, you must go!

Yes, Jorge surprised me with tickets to Cirque du Soleil's Saltimbanco, literally translated: "to jump on a bench," which might be the biggest understatement of the century if you're describing the show.

But before I talk about the show, let me mention the pre-show entertainment, because like my co-Hoosier John Mellencamp has so eloquently stated in the song Small Town: "I'm still hayseed enough to say, 'Hey, look who's in the big town.'" And I'm also hayseed enough to get very excited about the spotlight manager who scaled a tiny little ladder to the top of the stadium, jumped to a hanging chair, strapped himself in and pulled up the ladder for his descent later. WOW. WOW. I thought I'd pass out from the danger and excitement displayed right then, and he wasn't even part of the show! Go Spotlighter Guy!

Saltimbanco is Cirque's longest running show, from 1992 to the present. Over 10 million have seen it, and I'll bet you could get almost 10 million different descriptions of it.

It's thematic, but there is no plot. It’s musically eclectic, from operatic to tribal to jazz. It’s acrobatic, but it's also about ballet and interpretive dance. There are few words spoken, and I don't know for sure, but I don't think the words are from a real language; they're sort of like dolphin clicks and whistles combined with tribal woops and nonsense syllables punctuated by exaggerated facial expressions and flailing arms. The costumes are harlequinesque. Some characters are like people; some are like animals. I guess I'm not sure what I saw!

One of our favorite acts was the Chinese pole act, wherein characters who slithered around like lizards or worms on stage quickly crawled up poles to perform amazing tricks that defied gravity. They scampered up those poles like Spiderman scaling a building. And sometimes they hopped from one pole to another like bugs. But the whole time, they held their bodies at impossible angles which boggled your mind. You could hear audience members saying, "No. Way. NOWAYY!"

We enjoyed the Alexis brothers' (as seen on Oprah) amazing balance and brute strength as they lifted each other and did impossible things like one brother holding the other in the air with only their shoulder blades touching (one was upside down, and it was like their bones sort of hooked.)

We also enjoyed the bungee ballet and the twin girls who performed on the trapeze (I was so glad I wasn't their mom.)

And then there was the Russian swing, which involved four or five people making a swing arc as high as possible in the arena and then letting go at the highest point, with each flyer falling to spotters holding a mat under them. Sometimes the spotters had to run a little bit with the mat to get under the falling person. Even though I knew the flyers wouldn't, I thought I would die every time someone let go at the top of Conseco Fieldhouse. Watching people on videos or TV is nothing like being there.

You can see a short trailer for the show by clicking on the header of the screen on the word "trailer" here.

And although this is a terrible picture, it's my picture, one I took myself of a Saltimbanco truck, just to prove to you and me that I was actually there!

Saltimbanco--is it coming to a city near you? Then you must go!

Baton Rouge, LA
Feb. 18 to Feb. 20, 2009

Rockford, IL
Feb. 24 to March 1, 2009

Youngstown, OH
March 4 to March 8, 2009

Louisville, KY
March 11 to March 15, 2009

Mobile, AL
April 2 to April 5, 2009

Nashville, TN
April 9 to April 12, 2009

Huntsville, AL
April 15 to April 19, 2009

North Charleston, SC
April 22 to April 26, 2009

Lakeland, FL
April 29 to May 3, 2009

Gainesville, FL
May 7 to May 10, 2009

Tallahassee, FL
May 13 to May 17, 2009

Jacksonville, FL
May 20 to May 24, 2009

Sunrise, FL
May 27 to June 7, 2009

Tampa, FL
June 25 to July 5, 2009

Estero, FL
July 8 to July 12, 2009

34 comments:

Staci Danford said...

The show looks incredible. And the colors look like I could just sit and stare. Thank you for your kind words. It is so nice to know that there are such kind, caring people out in this world. It is so wonderful that the World of BLOG brings that to us.
Staci

Merrie said...

WOW... what fun! The funny thing is that my niece in Atlanta also went this weekend. It makes me sad/mad at myself that a few years ago I declined the opportunity to see it in Orlando. I was thinking of the cost and missed my opportunity. Bless Jorge and his creative gift to you!

Faith said...

The show looks just great! my daughters and I would love it. Probably not my hubby so much. Unfortunately we live too far from any of their performances this year!I am glad I stopped here today...I haven't been here in quite awhile!

Dena said...

Oh how fun! Jorge is a sweet man to do that for you. My hubby took me to Phantom of the Opera one time and for him it was like having his eyes & ears stabbed repeatedly for two hours, so he is terrified of repeating that trauma to ever plan something like that again. If we were to get the chance to go to something like this, I'd have to set it up.

Chatty Kelly said...

I love going to shows. It's so exciting! I saw Seigfred & Roy in Las Vegas, saw Billy Joel w/Elton John, various no-name shows, and have seen so many Broadway musicals. There is NO business like show business.

Rhonda said...

What a wonderful surprise. I saw Cirque do Soleil with my oldest daughter 6 years ago in Montreal. It was school trip. Your husband is very thoughtful!

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Sounds like a great evening! Alas none of the upcoming shows are anywhere near my vicinity. I will have to enjoy vicariously through your experience.

Blessings
Robin

Jenny said...

Wow how fun. They are coming here is May, I will have to get tickets.

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow. Way cool. It's amazing the things they can do, although I've read that some of them have ribs removed to make them more flexible. No thanks.

mtnest423 said...

Kudos to your husband for such a wonderful surprise! It looks amazing - unfortunately they are not coming to a location near us. I'd love to see that performance!

GRACEFAITHHOPE said...

Thanks for sharing!! Your description brought it to life so beautifully!! I hope to someday catch them if they're close to where I live. I definitely love their shows, and their music is so enchanting. Jorge was very thoughtful to get tickets!!!
Have a blessed week!

April in CT said...

How exciting! I have always wanted to see a Cirque show and it sounds like you had a fantastic time!

Lois Lane II said...

My friend went to see that and loved it. Glad y'all had a great day!!

Leslie said...

That looks awesome! Your husband is very sweet! Not coming near me - too bad. I will have to live vicariously through you! :)

Kay said...

How fun! We did Cirque La Nouba at Disney World. We took a hit on our hotel just so we could see it. It. Is. Amazing. There really aren't words to describe, are there??!! Glad you got such a fun surprise! : )

Ballerina Girl said...

I love Cirque du Soleil....
I have not seen this show, but would love to...maybe they will do an international tour and stop here!
Sounds like you had a great weekend! May it continue throughout the week!
BG

skoots1mom said...

what fun...
i'm sending you a special email!!
: )

skoots1mom said...

what fun...
i'm sending you a special email!!
: )

Beverlydru said...

I have never been to Cirque Du Soleil and I would love to go. Thanks for posting the dates. Tallahassee could possibly work. : ) What a special date!

"Just Me - NC Beth" said...

Ummm. I think it would be too much for my heart!!! The excitement. :o)

samurai said...

I'm bummed... no where near close... but that looks REALLY cool! :-)

Thank you for sharing.

Greg C said...

Yea, I see we are on the list. The problem is that no one else in my family wants to go but that just means that I get to take someone with me. Sorry Linda, you have already been.

Broke But Still Drinking said...

I've watched one of those shows and wondered, where do they find these people?

It's weird because, as a child, I never had a friend tell me they wanted to work for Cirque du Soleil when they grow up.

sara said...

what an awesome surprise!!! I would love to see that....sadly none of those are near me!

Mel said...

Apparently Jorge did an awesome amazing job on your surprise...whoohoo Jorge...

It sounds like it was an experience to watch.

Jenni Jiggety said...

Incredible! What a fun surprise!

Fran said...

I've always "heard" how awesome that show is. Maybe I'll hit the Nashville show. Thanks for the scoop! :)

Fran said...

I've always "heard" how awesome that show is. Maybe I'll hit the Nashville show. Thanks for the scoop! :)

Rachel said...

The first city would be Baton Rouge. Thanks for the temptation! :)

Brenda Susan said...

wow! Lucky you! I'd love to see that someday! Good job hubs!

Debbie said...

This is a show I have wanted to see for years and years. I am so excited for you!

Susanne said...

What a cool valentines present! Way to go, Jorge!

I've been wanting to see Cirque for years. They were in Calgary last summer when we happened to get caught in their traffic. Crazy. Wish I had've known they were there.

Becky said...

So cool! I have seen a lot of them on TV but like you said its nothing like being there in person... which I haven't. What a great surprise. I would love to see them but they have to reach Northern California first.

Jenners said...

I just love Cirque de Soleil! We've seen about three of their shows that are in Vegas -- Mystere was freaking amazing! I am in awe of what the human body can do after seeing these shows!