Monday, May 04, 2009

Getting Back in the Saddle and the Winner of Spilt Milk


Here is the actual chair and set-up from which I posted in Lawrenceville. Above that is room 211, where I have apparently left my "spectacle glasses." So I called the hotel, and the desk person told me that Housecleaning had gone home (3:00 pm?) and that she would ask them in the morning. In the meantime, she would look if she had time.

Well, I certainly hope that her grinding schedule allowed for two minutes to check lost and found, although the whole time I was there, there wasn't one busy moment at that desk. Unless you count my group of 10 asking about a good restaurant, and since we're gone, I think life will calm down there behind the desk of blurred frenzy and perhaps she will find a moment to look.

When I got home Saturday, I lay down to take a nap which lasted 13 hours. Yes, you read that right. I slept from 5:00 pm Saturday until 6:00 am Sunday. Thirteen hours.

Have I mentioned there are perks to not having small children to tend?

This is serious recovery. The kind of recovery I needed when I returned from Kazakhstan. So I guess when you're 46, you need 13 hours of sleep to spring back from a conference where you mainly sat and then sat for another hour and a half flight?

As I mentioned in a previous post, we had a "wild" church staff night at Johnny Carino's and Jillian's, where we bowled.

Since we were divided into two vans everywhere we traveled, I had a great idea: that the two vans should be two teams vying against one another.

Great idea! Except I had the lowest score out of 10 people. THE lowest. Even though one woman fell down on her first trip up the lane and many others threw gutters, I still managed to have the lowest score. I threw many gutters, too, but I also had many scores of 6 or 4. Or 3.

I always wondered if I had the makings of a professional bowler. It is a mystery no longer.

I think what threw me off is that I always see my calves and ankles as upside down bowling pins, so having the pins physically in front of me really messed up my concentration.

By the way, I had an odd moment trying to explain to my fellow travelers why you call me "Lid." The humor loses something in translation, I guess.

So now I'm getting back in the saddle again, blogging, going grocery shopping, ellipticizing, going to work, blah blah.



Therefore, let us end this post on a happy note, one in which we announce the winner of Linda Vujnov's new devotional, Spilt Milk.

The winner is: Baba of Baba's Babies are Special!

14 comments:

Kelly said...

Glad you're back home safe and sound. Stinks you left your specks. Maybe they'll turn up and get them sent right to you. Let's think positively. If I had been in your bowling group, you wouldn't have been in last place. I'm the Official World's Worst Bowler.

Debbie said...

Now that is my kind of power nap! Good for you:)

Mocha with Linda said...

Bad bowling - yet another thing we have in common! And your upside-down bowling pins cracked me up.

Your fellow travelers are obviously not as cool or brilliant as we are, not to get the Lid.

Susanne said...

Whew, that was some nap! I think I need one of those. I want one of those.

Welcome back to the real world! ;v)

annie's eyes said...

Welcome back home. I thought "back in the saddle" title might have be an allusion to Derby Day, but you apparently slept through it...Home--there's nothing like it. Peace off. Annette

H-Mama said...

hmmm... so that's the secret to sleep? sitting. who knew? i should try it since i'm only able to sleep no more than 5 1/2 hrs trying to keep up with my 2 girls. ;) glad you had a good time!

Baba's Blog .. Babies Are Special said...

Hi Linda, wow... you have made my day by drawing my name as the winner of the book " Spilt Milk".. I can't wait to start reading it.I was eating a bowl of cereal this morning as I read that I had won!!Thanks for this great gift..hugs, Baba

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Glad you got some rest!
I don't think the humor gets lost in translation. I think we bloggers just have a different sense of humor. We are the cool geeks. :>)

Beverlydru said...

Oh goodness... thighs & calves as upsidedown bowling pins? And you gave us a clear picture. Lid, you are too funny.

Carmen Gamble said...

Ha, I can see how the bowling pins threw you off...I always think of mine as pork chops, therefore, I eat very little pork...it just doesn't seem right.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Thirteen hours? I'm sorry... did you say 13 HOURS???!?!!!

Sob. I couldn't even read the rest of your post... I kept rereading that sentence again and again.

And again and again.

Sob.

skoots1mom said...

do you need me to go over there and woop up on the desk clerk and the cleaning lady? That's not proper southern etiquette to ignore a guest's request...she should have checked while you were on hold :)
let me know...I'll GO OVER THERE, and take BeStill&Know with me, they might listen to 2 of us (we're menopausal mamas and hold our ground very well, especially when they weigh their lettuce! remember?http://rlambright.blogspot.com/2009/02/please-sir-may-i-have-some-more.html )

MOMSWEB said...

knock, knock...just dropping by to visit your blog home. I enjoyed myself!

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Hubby was all over me after church for not telling him you'd had a "book published" as I'm trying to explain that you were "published in the book"... I'm guessing he may want your autograph either way! Had to explain again at life group that night. I thought you'd be amused.

The bowling pin thing is hillarious. It would make it hard to concentrate if it looked to you like a bunch of legs down there.