Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Donny, Jorge, and the Class of 2013

First of all, I can't believe that yesterday, August 18, passed without my mentioning that it is the anniversary of the first time I saw Donny Osmond at the Indiana State Fair, 1973.

Excuse me? THIRTY SIX YEARS AGO?? I did the math quickly in my head and then wrote it out like a third grader to make sure--yes, 36 years ago. In this context, 36 years is like an eon, which the dictionary says contains two or more eras. Oh, will the oldness ever stop? (Yes, I guess it will at some point!)

And yes, Donny is indeed going to be on DWTS this season (Sept 21), but I'm a little afraid to watch due to the Cloris Leachman Aging Syndrome, which is more painful for the audience than for the afflicted participant.

Speaking of TV, one of my biggest faves, Biggest Loser, premieres Sept. 15, or five weeks from now, to be exact, which is like half an eon, or one era. I cannot wait.

On a completely different subject, it has finally happened: I have called George "Jorge" so much here on the blog (and IRL) that I slipped up at work and signed him up for something as Jorge Crow, which cracked up a co-worker. Me too, because I never thought I'd do that. At least I didn't write "Jorge the Jabanero." My calling him Jorge goes back to when we were in high school. He was in Spanish class; I was in French class. Of course, everyone had appropriate names for those classes, and his was Jorge. It stuck with me and has picked up steam in the last couple of years. Also, sometimes I bellow "Jorge Feliciano!" when I really want his attention.

Finally, Beloit College has released its annual Beloit College Mindset List, which illustrates the cultural differences in the lives of students entering college.

For the class of 2013, here are a few:

* Michael Landon, Dr. Seuss, and Freddie Mercury have always been dead.

* The Green Giant has always been Shrek, not the big guy picking vegetables.

* The KGB has never officially existed.

* They have never had to “shake down” an oral thermometer.

* The European Union has always existed.

* Condoms have always been advertised on television.

* There has always been a Cartoon Network.

* They have always been able to read books on an electronic screen.

* There have always been flat-screen televisions.

* There has always been a Planet Hollywood.

* There has always been blue Jell-O.

You can read the full list here. Can you think of any to add?

27 comments:

missy said...

Donny can flail around and make a fool of himself and he will still win due to adoring fans like my sister and possibly you who, despite the fact they are grown women, will vote obsessively like the preteen swooners that they are deep down.

Rachel said...

So I've slipped up and called my hubs "Mr. Daddy" in public... to several interesting looks.

And man, did that list make me feel OLD...

Noticed your kitty cat button... has Amy Grant called yet???

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Loved this post....Dancing with the Stars is my fav show on TV...Great line-up this season

Kim said...

There's a blue jello?

I remember when my daughter (now 23) was around five years old and found out I had been born before Velcro. Oh my, she was horrified! LOL "How did you keep your shoes on?" she asked. Of course me pointing out the nifty feature of laces and the whole tying thing made me cool again in her eyes.

Ah, yes the oldness never stops. But it beats the alternative.

CrowGeo said...

uh, what did you sign me up for?

Kelly Combs said...

I ken lee Donny Osmond! He is gorgeous still, so no worries, Lid.

I remember the first time I said "Twenty years ago I...." Then I went, 20 yrs ago?!?? Dang I'm old!

Debbie said...

Sept 15 can't come too soon in our household, however it will just be me watching because HHBL shakes his head in disgust at that kind of show. What does he know.

Love the Beloit list.

2Thinks said...

I'm thinking there may be an awful lot of words that we used to spell very differently than the way the current generation spells m.

Thanks to text messaging, I suspect. Do u suppose these new college students have heard of carrier pigeons?

My ADHD Me said...

Michael Landon, Dr Seuss, and Freddie Mercury...3 of my faves in one sentence. They have no idea what they missed.

Reminds me of the joke about the kid that asks his mom, "Is it true that Paul McCartney really was in a band before Wings?"

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

The link is rejecting me. They must have seen my transcript.

There has always been the Internet.

There has always been remote controls for TV.

There has always been cell phones.

There has always been Dick Clark- wait, that's the same. ;>)

Ginger said...

You are too funny! Still waiting on that call from Amy, or did I miss it?

Debbie said...

I had Donny and the Osmonds, David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman posters plastered all over my bedroom wall when I was 12 years old. I rooted for Marie when she was on DWTS, so I will probably do the same for Donny. I know Michael J. could still dance at the time of his death...I wonder if Donny can still master some moves?

Other than computers and some of the newer technology...I like the "olden days" better. LOL!

Debbie said...

PS. By the way...I had this poster of Donny. LOL!

The Bug said...

I refuse to even read lists like that - I don't need any reminders that I'm getting old!

I loved watching the Osmond show -"I'm a little bit country..." But my first crush was Jimmy Osmond - I was SO excited when I got his album for my birthday!

Greg C said...

This blog thing is affecting my home life too. Just last night I thought I heard my wife say "I blogged all day" but I was only dreaming. She doesn't blog and never will. It isn't real you know. As for dancing with the stars, Cloris ruined it for me too. Oh well.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Jorge: "Husband of the year." That's what I signed you up for.

skoots1mom said...

i love that Jorge joined in today even if it was to ask a question...Hi, Jorge!! My Chuckles wouldn't be as happy about his being called Chuckles, but I still like it...so it's not changing anytime soon.
I want to know what Liddie was called in French ;)

David Cassidy was on my wall...but I like their tv show

I was the remote control at our house until about the age of 16 when we got our first tv with a remote control...wow, it would make the channels go up and down and you could even make the tv louder!

skoots1mom said...

this may be a repeat msg...i got a funky error message.

it was neat that jorge joined in today...even if it was to ask a question. My chuckles doesn't ever read my blog, that i know of...so, he'll be called chuckles til then.
what was liddie called in french class?

David Cassidy was on my walls; however, I did like D&MO's tv show.

My child seems amazed that I was the remote control in our house until the age of about 16, when we got our first color tv that had a remote that had a channel up/down buttons--it could even make the sound go up/down...i had died and gone to heaven!

i remember the days when you were stuck next to the phone that was attached to the wall b/c there was NO wireless anything...everything had a cord!

i had to carry a "bag phone" for my job...it was a little bit smaller than a normal business set, but not much, and it was in a heavy, black case with a large strap (and I worked for the phone company!) I hated that thing.

sara said...

Don't you hate it when your family reads your blog?! :)

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Sara, it's worse when your boss reads your blog!

Carmen said...

I had a poster of Donny in my room too. I had to fight to get it as I was never supposed to listen to anything but my Dad's music.

Looking at that list, I guess I'm old too. Hard to believe how quickly things have changed!

Mama Belle said...

Yeah, I've had to backspace over Beau's name several times in real life.

Thanks for making me feel even older.

Mrs. E said...

Yep. No wonder I have to work so hard to understand my sophomores at school.

Linda said...

I LOVED Donny, and had posters and albums and purple in my room. Loved the Donny & Marie Show. I'll be rooting for him, but also love Kathy Ireland whose a sister in Christ.

You made me laugh out loud when you said that you signed your hubby up as Jorge Crow! In any language...he's still a blessed husband. ; )

The Toll House Cookie said...

DWTS? Biggest Loser? Donny Osmond? Boy, do we have a lot in common!!! LOL!!! My first Osmond concert was in 1971--Boston Garden and I was 14...so I have you beat by a few years. But in 1973....August, I was in California and made my cousin take me to the Osmonds house on Manning Avenue so I could say that I saw where they lived. I was a Merrill fan...and was shocked that he married 4 weeks later. (Yes..he's been married 36 years now!) Loved the list...I was thinking the other day--what kids will never know. Rotary phones, carbon paper, the little things. BTW...nice to see Jorge here!

Kaye Butler said...

I know these things are not gone yet, but I do remember when we got our first microwave and automatic pop corn air popper.

My first loves were Greg and Peter Brady. My mom allowed me to eat my mac and cheese right in front of the TV on Brady night. I was in heaven.

H-Mama said...

love it. my name was 'louisa'. ;)