Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Remember ... It's Just a Laundry Room

But it's a rockin' laundry room, I think!

Let me say that the color on the walls is not exactly what you see here. It's not hot pink. I tried flash/no flash/flash without overhead lights/no flash backdoor open, etc., and nothing matched the true colors.

It's not exactly watermelon pink, and it's not red. It's coral, which is a pinky red, kind of like salmon. So just keep that in mind. It's not hot pink.

In fact, the walls are more like this color, so keep this in mind:




















And of course, you can click on each picture to see better.

So here is the little room when you walk in:



Here is a sort of corner shot. Note that my ironing board folds out of the wall (to the left of the basket). I love that it doesn't have to stand all of the time or be folded up and put away. Have I mentioned I am lazy?



On top of the cabinets, I put tropical colored baskets and pics of my girlfriends and me on the lake. Summertime fun! I searched everywhere for just the right baskets. Even Hobby Lobby disappointed me. I found these half price at a Jo-Ann's Fabric store. I cannot tell you how excited I was.





OK, here is a feature that I love. A couple of years ago, we vacationed on Anna Maria Island, FL. It was probably the best vacation we ever had. So I had a collage made on the Walmart photo site. I chose the lime green background, the font, and pics, of course. There are actually 30 pictures on here. I LOVE seeing this reminder of Paradise when I throw dirty clothes in the washer. It's therapeutic.




Here is a poster that goes well with the island theme, I think:



Here is a print I found at Hobby Lobby called "Palm with Red Sky." Please note that part of the reason it took me so long to complete the room is that I waited for all frames and prints to go half price.



This is the print that started it all. I wish you could see it in person. The flower in the lower left hand corner cried out to me: "Hey, Pale Island Girl. Wouldn't you like to be on a beach with white sand, sipping a drink and carrying me behind your ear?" And I said, "Why yes, Tropical Flower, I would. I'm going to take you home now." Oh I wish you could see the true color.





Here's the real island girl. This is also sort of her room:



So there you have it, my new laundry Florida room. When slushy, dreary March 2010 rolls around, I may bring a lawn chair in here and just bask in the tropical ambience. All I'll need is a box fan, a cool drink, and a great book. Until the buzzer on the dryer rings!

42 comments:

Rachel said...

love it love it love it!

sigh

and a tad bit jealous

and is that West Indies poster ROCKIN' or what?!

and I'm starting sentences with "and" and no capitals just to bug the perfectionist writer in you ;) and an emoticon for good measure :)

don't ask - it's been a long day and I need some quality time in your laundry room with a watermelon popsicle.

"Rachel" said...

I LOVE IT!!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Everything looks great...I loved your color.

Joyce said...

Okay now I see what you mean about it being a stress free room, even with the laundry.

It's lovely!

Kaye Butler said...

Wow it does look pink, kind of matches your blog.

I love it. I never thought about decorating my laundry/junk room.

LOVE IT!!!!

Linda said...

Oh my word! I would never leave that room! I think it would actually help me enjoy laundry...did I just say that???! Beautiful room, you have the touch. ; )

Tabi said...

Who knew that a laundry room could make one happy to walk in it!! I love it!! I might be more inclined to walk in mine if it looked like that!! (I said walk in it, not actually DO the laundry!)

Debbie said...

OOOOOOO, I never thought I would have laundry room envy but I find that I do. I am very impressed that the baskets match!!

H-Mama said...

tropics in the laundry room... love it! i plan to paint mine when i finish painting the hall, loft, more hall... oh, and my bathroom. although, the color is not near as fun as yours. ;)

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Wonderful!!!

My laundry room is in a hall closet and I hate it! It was the only thing i did not like about this house when we bought it but there was no helping it.

One day....

Blessings
Robin

Wendi @ Every Day Miracles said...

Love it!! The baskets and pictures are such perfect little touches.

Mocha with Linda said...

I am sooo impressed!

Can you come do mine?!

(The room, not the laundry. Although you're welcome to do that too!)

The Bug said...

Love it!! Our house is really small so the washer/dryer are in the kitchen (I know - not ideal!). But this would be a cool theme for the bathroom... Hmmm...

Janice said...

In March you could also unhook the outside vent hook up and let it fill your room with hot tropical air... maybe there is cocoa nut scented dryer sheets! THAT would make it PeRfEcT!

this happened in my house... accidentally ... in the middle of the summer. Not quite the same effect! I will be doing it in March!

Kay said...

I love it! It's just so sassy and fun! : ) I 'decorated' my laundry room with things I still loved that didn't fit into our remodel (things my mom made for me). So I get a hug every time I go in. Love yours though. If I had a door, I would go wild with the paint, just like you did though!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

What an awesome idea! Create a room that makes you think you're on vacation while you do your laundry!

Sheer brilliance!

Greg C said...

Wow I love the Hot pink walls. I always wanted a pink room like that. You should consider putting a small TV and Fridge in there and maybe a doggie toilet so he can enjoy it too. :)

Things Above said...

I am SO INSPIRED! We are getting ready to makeover our laundry room and I have not been exited about it because "it's just a laundry room." But now, I am so excited because I see the posibilities! How cool!

Lois Lane II said...

Oh my gosh, it's gorgeous! If I had a room like that, I'd love doing laundry!

Tina said...

It looks great! Wow.. wish my laundry room was that clean. ;)

I usually read your blog on bloglines and rarely comment... so I didn't realize you had a makeover on your page. It looks great! Love it!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I LOVE the theme!! What a great idea. Florida is calling me home.
If you want the full effect, stop up your dryer vent, close the door, turn on the dryer and feel the humidity. LOL

Susanne said...

It's gorgeous! Makes my sad laundry room look ever sadder and drearier. Can I come do laundry at your house? ;v)

Deven said...

Bee-YOO-tee-ful! Enjoy your laundry...

2Thinks said...

It's "in the pink", which I think is a good thing. I like it. And now I am motivated for another day of wallpaper glue removal, thank you for that.

themaddychronicles said...

Who knew you could make laundry day so much fun?!!

I love it!! Here's to happy days washing, drying & folding :o)

Sara said...

THANK YOU! This is so, so inspiring!

Our laundry room is the only room that hasn't been repainted since we moved into this house - 13 years ago! *hangs head in shame*. Your fun prints and bright colors have encouraged me to find my own bliss and redo my laundry room (although I would love to just copycat your color palette.)

Thanks for sharing.

12-arrows said...

its absolutely beautiful and I love the colors too! makes doing laundry fun instead of a pain!

LynnMarie said...

How beautiful! I wouldn't mind doing laundry in that room. I love it! So happy for you.

Kids Connection said...

Linda, I LOVE it!!! Great job!

Kelly Combs said...

Amazingly fantastico! The baskets are groovy cool, and I love the photos. You get an A+++++++++! I wish you could come redecorate my house now. please!

Kim said...

Gorgeous! You done good girl! Too bad you don't have room for your comfy chair and a reading lamp -- 'cause this is a room you don't want to leave.

For some reason "Kokomo" by the Beach Boys song is now stuck in my head.

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

I love, love, love it! Yeah for fun laundry rooms!

Erin said...

Great job love it!!!!

skoots1mom said...

I'm hearing a little Marley in the background...love me some steel drums....play it loud enough and you won't hear the buzzer!

I can just see you now, running in there, kicking off your snow boots...put a beach towel on the floor and you and zo-zo can snooze to the rhythm...mmmmmmmmmm.
Great job!

Dutch said...

Oh my gosh, it is so beautiful. You have inspired me to come up with something wonderful for my laundry room. I spend so much time in there. You should be an interior decorator.
Have a great evening.

Lelia Chealey said...

HOW COOL are you LIDNA?? Let me answer. Way. You are way cool.
I love this! I have been racking my brain as to how to make our laundry room bigger and now prettier!
So cool. Thanks for the breakdown of each item.
You are to me the meaning of an American Idol.
Not Paula.
You.
Lid in Indy.

Darla said...

awesome laundry room. it's so happy! please don't tell me it stays this neat and clean or i will have to stop following your blog!!! haha. i love mine when its clean, but it rarely stays that way, i am a little lazy with the laundry duties at times i guess.

Heth said...

What a happy place to do laundry. Good work, girl!

Mrs. E said...

BEAUTIFUL!! And all for stinkin' laundry! (LOVE that the girlfriends are joining your laundry room.) Does this make doing laundry more fun??

kristi said...

I am diggin' your laundry room. I clean mine out and it looks a hot mess within a week. You go girl!

Carmen said...

Love it, love the color, great job!

Joann said...

I live in SW FL and I absolutely LOVE your room!