Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In the Memetime, Back at the Ranch ...



OK, here are my answers:

1. Which is worse: a long, boring meeting or standing in a return/exchange line after Christmas?

The line is worse because you're standing instead of sitting, for one thing. Also, I can have fun in my head at most meetings, unless people in the meeting are crunching numbers. And then I just go to my happy place until the storm is over.

2. Except for maybe Rosie O'Donnell or Ann Coulter, nobody likes confrontation, yet we all have to deal with it. When you feel cornered and defensive, do you "bite back" or become passive aggressive?

I used to just withdraw from the cause of the friction, not so much to pout as to remove myself from the pain or pain in the neck, as it were. (Classic defense mechanism.) Now I am more likely to ask questions to make my point or to hint to the person that she has disturbed me, which is only a teensy bit passive. I tend to be more vocal about causes than about personal offenses. For instance, don't try to engage me in a debate about Terri Schaivo. I will tear your head off and feel no guilt.

3. Do you know anything about your genealogical background? (What country, culture, ties to prominent historical figures, or other stuff.)

Mother's maiden name: Garrett (Irish). She claims we are related to the WWI hero Alvin C. York, but a lot of people around these here parts claim Alvin, so I'm not so sure about that. I am, however, sure that I am a fan of the 1941 Gary Cooper movie Sergeant York. Dad says we are Pennsylvania Dutch. I'm not sure what that is except it sounds like anyone with this bloodline ought to be able to cook things like dumplings, and I can't, so I don't think I believe him.

4. What is the quickest way a person can endear him/herself to you?

Act interested in my kids.
Speak kindly about his/her own parents or grandparents.
Squat down to talk to a small child face to face in a soft but not baby voice.
Be a fan of Mr. Rogers.
Show mercy to animals.
Put other people at ease. A person who possesses the ability and desire to put other people at ease is a stellar person, in my opinion.


5. Cake, pie, cookies, or ice cream? (Note there is no "all of the above" option. You must choose one. Feel free to elaborate on flavor or memories tied to this dessert.) If you'd like, you can share a recipe, but you certainly don't have to.

I like them all, but No Bake cookies are my favorite. I once wrote a newspaper column about them. They are my Kryptonite. I know the recipe by heart. Sometimes I cannot have all the ingredients in the house at the same time or I can't stop making/eating them. I'd rather have these than cake for my birthday.

2 cups sugar
1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 c. cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
3 cups oats

In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except peanut butter, oats and vanilla. Cook over medium heat. Bring to rolling boil, stir constantly and boil for 5 mints.

Immediately remove from heat and stir in peanut butter, vanilla and oats.

Spoon out quickly onto wax paper or aluminum foil.

Cookies will harden as they set. But if they don't set up, don't worry. Just eat them out of a bowl and call them Goop Cookies, which is what we do.


6. Females: Do you regularly change your handbag to coordinate with your outfit?

Yeah, I do for the most part.

7. Are you task-oriented or relationship-oriented?

Definitely task-oriented, which can be off-putting to people who are more relational. I like people; I really do, but when I'm in the middle of a task, I don't like to be interrupted and have to switch gears and then start over, etc. I'm very linear. I don't multi-task like a lot of women.

8. IHOP, Bob Evans or Cracker Barrel?

Cracker Barrel. And I want one of those rocking chairs.

9. Have you ever left a movie in progress in a theater? Why?

Yes. Jorge and I left The Benchwarmers, with Rob Schneider, David Spade, and Jon Heder. I wanted to see it because I LOVE Napoleon Dynamite (Jon Heder's movie), but it was the lamest movie I've ever seen. I couldn't believe how not funny it was with those three guys in it. I also left Slumdog because I couldn't stand the violence. I just couldn't do it. I read The Kiterunner but couldn't see the movie for that reason, either.

10. What is one area of life in which you would like to develop more discipline or organization?

Finances. Garage. Kitchen cabinets.

11. Was middle school fun or painful?

Painful. Thank goodness for 9th grade, the best of my four high school years, by the way.

12. What is your favorite Fall beverage?

Spiced cider.

OK, are you in? If so, link it on up, baby, or leave your answers in my comments!

32 comments:

barbarah said...

Your paragraph about being task-oriented could have been mine. I am the same way.

I'll be interested to see if anyone had a good middle school experience. 7th and 8th grades seem to be the worst years for most people.

We should go to Cracker Barrel some time! That's probably the place where I most often meet friends for lunch.

SouthLakesMom said...

Fun answers and questions! I'm off to Bible Study this a.m. so will visit people later.

Dena said...

I know someone else who says they are Pennsylvania Dutch....now I'm curious as to what that does mean.

No bake cookies are soooo awesome!

Good questions!!

Mocha with Linda said...

So why doesn't Mister Linky show who has linked up without clicking on it? Weird.

Loved your answers. A few were like reading mine. Surprise, surprise. Even #1's reasoning!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I don't know why the complete list of Linkies doesn't show up anymore. I think they changed something and you probably have to buy something in order to get that.

Just so you all know and don't think I'm ignoring you today, I have a dr.'s appt. and then work, so I may not get around to everyone today. Thanks for playing!

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Thanks for hosting this...it's fun! Praying your dr's appt goes well!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Mmmm...No Bakes -- I haven't had those in a long time.

I felt the same way about the violence in Slumdog -- only we watched it at home instead of in the theater -- I just turned my head away during the disturbing parts, I was so captivated by the plot I had to finish it.

The Bug said...

I'm not playing because I don't have interesting answers to most of the questions - but I did want to comment on a few.

I actually enjoyed middle school. I was in a little group of kids who didn't think being smart was uncool. I liked my teachers. I didn't think I was fat yet. Good times.

My sister-in-law makes those cookies, but she calls them Preacher Cookies. And oh the yummy-liciousness of them! I could eat the whole bowl. Chocolate, peanut-butter - what's not to love?

And I totally am task oriented - which was a bit of a challenge when I worked in human resources...

Kay said...

So fun! I love Cracker Barrel too.. but I like to look around in the gift shop. Does that make me 80 years old? I hope not. lol

I love Mr Rogers too... I just did a post on him Monday. : )

http://notesfromthewall.blogspot.com/2009/09/hi-neighbor.html

Joyce said...

My randomness has been posted on my blog for all the world to see.

I'm with you on the No Bake Cookies btw!

Melli said...

LOL! I didn't think about being able to SIT in that meeting... but I'll stick with my response anyway!

Love your answers to number 4... I do absolutely LOVE to see a parent playing with his/her children ... or just being "connected" to them. So often you see them talking on their cell and paying no attention.

Violence would make me leave a movie also... but I just don't watch tv OR movies anymore - and that seems to have solved ALL problems! LOL!

Sue said...

I'm all linked in with this week's answers. Fun again!

Hope your Dr's appt goes well & it's nothing serious.

Susanne said...

I've heard so much about that Cracker Barrel that I'm so wanting to try one but alas no such thing any where near here.

Tina said...

Great answers!
I linked up! :)

tilden talks... said...

Mr. Rogers was my favorite when I was little! Sometimes I make obscure references to the Neighborhood of Make-Believe and people either don't get it or they tell me there is something wrong with me.

I think it is the other way around.
Liked your answers.

Susan said...

I really didn't read your answers before I wrote mine, but I, too have a "happy place" for those boring meetings! AND, I have that Pennsylvania Dutch background but you'd never know it by your definition! ;-) Great questions, Linda!

:-) Susan

Lauren said...

I totally missed it!! man... well, I am going to do it now! :P

1. standing in line is worse -- I would rather be sitting!

2. depends on the situation - sometimes I bite back (I am a defender of causes too) other times I'll retreat (during personal attacks)

3. My ancestors are from Germany and England ... I had a great great great great ... Uncle who fought and died in Blue in the Civil War and there is a monument at Antietam with his name on it.

4. Kindness goes a long way with me. Also, be interested in who I am as a person -- I hate talking fluff and love to get right down to the heart of things. Oh - and have a sense of humor! I LOVE funny people! :)

5. Pie - raspberry all the way!!

6. nope.

7. relationship orientated

8. Cracker Barrel!!!!!

9. Yes -- some movie about Africa when I was little (too much violence) I wanted to walk out of Charlie Wilson's War because of the violence, language, and nudity -- but kept thinking it would get better... I was wrong. Should've left. Ruined my day.

10. folding laundry *sigh*

11. PAIN.FUL. **shudder**

12. Apple Cider all the way!!! :)

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Cracking up at your lineage question.

How do you think up such awesome questions every week, and so many? :)

Greg C said...

I almost went with spiced cider too but went back to my old standby, coffee. Did you get your money back when you left those movies? I can see you trying. :)

Linda said...

Lid, are you coming up with all of these questions? I'm loving them!

Quilldancer said...

Oh, that's it. My Amoeba has to GO! I came by here last night, ready the meme and was about to be the first to comment and link when Amoeba distracted me and I wandered off! That man!

I love No Bake cookies -- and when they don't set, serve them over vanilla ice cream! Yum.

quilldancer.com

Faith said...

I LOVE those cookies and make them often!! YUMMY!!!!! I had time to play this today so it's finally up!

Brook said...

I love no bake cookies too and try my best not to make them. I did have them earlier this week though. :)

When we left the movie a few years back, we were refunded our money. :)

See my answers here...http://snipssnailsandpuppydogstails.blogspot.com/2009/09/random-dozen_16.html

Lois Lane II said...

1. Return/exchange line. HATE it. Will never do it. Send the hubby.
2. Depends on how far off the cliff I am. ;)
3. Eh...Scottish?? Lol.
4. Love the people I love, dislike the people I like. =D
5. Can I have all??? (P.S. I can't wait to try those cookies...I'm drooling...)
6. I barely change it with the seasons.
7. Task. Working on it.

8. Cracker Barrel. Yuuummm.
9. No, but there are some I should have.
10. Losing my procrastination.
11. Painful. As was high school. I came into my own in college, though. =D
12. Pumpkin spice latte!!!

Kim said...

Too bad I didn't read your post before I tried to make No Bake Cookies this afternoon. The recipe I used was the same except it omitted peanut butter and vanilla. Mine are sorta runny and while they taste great, I have to eat them with a spoon. Next time I'll use your recipe!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Linda: yes, I am coming up with these Q's and having a great time with it. If you have any good ones, email them to me!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

I had a very different answer for #1, but your answer made me LAUGH.

So did #2 and #3. Seriously.

I LOVE your answers to #4. I didn't think about it from that perspective (mine was rather self-centered after reading yours!) but especially the one about talking to a small child face to face. Love it.

No bake cookies...my hub's fave.

Task-oriented: you said it better than I did. Totally relate.

#12 Huh? Not coffee?! :-)

This is great fun....thanks, Lid!

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

My Randoim Dozen is up! And Lid, if wherever we move doesn't have a big porch I may just have on e of those Cracker Barrel rockers for you!

2Thinks said...

Wow. Lots of scrolling through comments here girl. ;)But I gotta tell ya:

I quoted you today(Wed.) at the end of my post, just so you know. Hope it's okay.

Becky said...

I'm Penn Dutch too... which may be a parents way of saying "Idunno"

I may seriously make those cookies for lunch tomorrow.

I feel bad that your middle school was painful. :-(

Aren't you the one who bought three of the same purse in different colors? Or maybe that was Deena ;-)

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Slumdog...that was the movie I remember you leaving.

I love me some no bake cookies too. the oats and chocolate. YUM. I've never made them before, can ya believe that. I choose them over any cookie! Oh, except for our local bakery as an ice box cookie with hard icing. Oh my! I should mail you one. Oh but do you think it'd ever make it to the envelope let alone your house. They do different shapes, colors for the seasons. In HS we could order cookies (pink hearts) for others. I don't know if I ever got one...I don't think so...unless it was a friend. I was always envious...forget the boy, just somebody please send me a pink heart ice box cookie on V Day in HS.

Roxanne said...

I am a lamo. . .not 'cause I took umbrage to any of your questions, but because I forgot to come back and add my own link. Sorry. :)