Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Answers to Random Dozen #3

I want to apologize to all of you who participated in the meme yesterday. I could not come around to see all of you because I was very saddened and distracted by the loss of a life-long friend yesterday. I just didn't have it in me to blog hop and comment. BUT ... I will get around to visiting your post. Thanks for understanding.



1. Please share one middle school memory. It can be good, bad, ugly, funny. Pictures or words, I don't care, just share.

Once, a friend asked me to go up to a boy and ask if he would like to go with her to a dance. Unbeknownst to her, I also had a crush on this boy, but I did as requested, although I was very nervous to even talk to him. So I said, "So and So wants to know if you would go to the dance with her, if she asked you." And he just looked at me and said, "You have gum on your lip."

DIED right there and slid into the cracks of the cheap tile floor in the band room. No one has seen me since.

2. What's your favorite Beatles song?

I've never been a huge fan, but lately, I have been enjoying "Revolution" a whole bunch. Like over and over.

3. If I asked you to describe your most comfortable outfit, what would it be?

This is easy. (Who am I talking to? I made the questions up, so I just said that to myself.) Thin black sweater, maybe a turtle or V-neck, dark, classic-fit jeans.

4. Would you rather host a party or be a guest?

I wrote this because I was getting ready to host a surprise party for my sister-in-law, and my ineptitude as a hostess was front and center in my mind. So I would rather be a guest. But I do like to decorate tables. But it's pathetic to decorate tables if you're not actually hosting people, I have found.

5. Do you think we will move completely from traditional books to digital ones, and if we do, are you OK with that?

I don't think we will for a few more years yet, but I think at some point, yes. There will always be collections of books, I think, in libraries, but they will be more like museum pieces. I personally like to hold and smell a book.

6. Do you learn best by reading, listening or experiencing?

What did you say? I wasn't listening. OH-Reading. Definitely. That's why I hate to call support for the software I use at church. I would rather print help off and refer to that than have them walk me through it while I'm nervous because I'll never remember it.

7. If you are (or when you were) single, what is the kiss of death for you concerning the opposite sex? (That is, what is one trait or behavior or habit or anything at all that immediately turns you off from considering that person a potential match for you?)

I absolutely hated to be sung to. It gave me the same feeling I have when I see the horrible auditions for American Idol--I want to hide under a pillow. More than the kiss of death, it was the plague of death. I would be so embarrassed for the person because no one sings as well as he/she thinks.

8. Snacks. Salty or sweet?

How do I manage to work these cookies into every single post?









9. Look around you in a four foot radius. What object is around you that you didn't realize was there or forgot was there? How long has it been there?

This strange, plastic, Gumby-like dog frame that I used to have on my desk at work. As you can see, Zoe is in the picture. I think I hate to throw it away but don't know what to do with it. Maybe I will take it back into work and when little kids come by my desk, they can play with it. That is a brilliant idea. Thanks. You're welcome.

10. What is your favorite Tom Cruise movie?

I loved Rain Man and The Firm.

11. You buy a bottle of shampoo and discover that you don't like what it does to your hair at all. What do you do with that full bottle?

I use it as body wash and leg shaving lubricant. Because it smells like coconut.

12. Your favorite Fall comfort food? (Last week it was beverage.)

There they are again. Oh, I don't really know. Who made up these stupid questions?! I guess I would say some kind of pumpkin muffin or bread. Oh, also apple crisp with plenty of topping. I like rich soups, too, like broccoli soup.

25 comments:

Barbie said...

Linda, I am so very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Praying that God would wrap His arms of love around you and that you will be comforted during this time.

Quilldancer said...

I was very saddened to hear about your loss. My prayers are with you and all those who cared for your friend.

And you're going to make me go make those cookies, aren't you?

2Thinks said...

I found the meme to be quite fun. Thanks for hosting. I am sorry to hear of your sadness.

Your story about asking him if he'd go with her if she asked him- defines Jr. High, basically. Good one.

Teri~Facedown said...

Linda,
There are no words to say in consolation for the loss you are experiencing. Know that you are being prayed for. May His strength be yours--that you would feel his arms holding you as you grieve this unfathomable loss.
You are loved,
Teri

Jerralea said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

I related with so many of your answers - especially the no-bake cookies - my ultimate fave!

Joyce said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. I will be praying today.

Dena said...

I'm so sorry Linda for your loss. Your friend will always have a special place in your heart.


Love your answers, but sadly I"m not a fan of your cookies...well, not just your cookies, but any no-bake cookies. But I'd be happy to share a big ol' pot of broccoli soup with you!

Mocha with Linda said...

Praying for you, my friend and sending a big ol' Texas hug.

Your answers always crack me up.

Kay said...

Oh Linda... I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Will be praying for you in the coming days.

Sue said...

My heart goes out to you in this time of loss and heartache, Linda. Sending hugs to you!

I've been so distracted this week with the whole car-shopping thing that I totally missed Random Dozen. I'm on my way out this morning but I WILL be back to participate!!

Hugs

The Bug said...

Sorry to hear about your loss - I'll be praying for you & your friend's family.

I think I'm going to have to make some of those cookies too! MMMM...

Susanne said...

So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. May God comfort you and Jorge.

Those cookies just like to make their appearance don't they?

Apple Crisp! How could I have forgotten about apple crisp as a favorite fall food?

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Linda--my heart aches for you as you grieve. Take care.

barbarah said...

I'm so sorry, Linda. It's perfectly understandable that blogging would be the last thing on your mind at such a time.

What an odd -- make that unique little frame. :-)

I haven't seen many Tom Cruise movies.

Amy@My Front Porch said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, and it's perfectly understandable that you didn't have time to blog hop!

Your comfy clothes sound much more attractive than mine :)

I would rather be a guest too -- I like the decorating part of hosting too, and I do love having people over but I always feel more relaxed as a guest!

I have an idea for one of these memes too. What if one time you made up questions to have us give to someone ELSE to answer about us? Then we could give them to our spouse or significant other or just one of our really good friends to answer sort of like a "guest post". Don't be afraid to say if you think that's totally stupid :)

Debbie said...

I am so sorry to hear (read) about the loss of your friend.

Kim said...

Will be praying for yáll and the family of your friend. It's so hard to lose someone close to you, especially someone your age. Not much you can say at times like this; just give one another lots of hugs and share your memories.

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Linda, I'm really sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Those cookies look so good. If I actually took the time to make them, I'd probably work them into every post too!

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Great questions/answers. Those dog gone no bake cookies keep coming back, huh? I refuse to make any though. :-)

That is ingenious about the shampoo. I never thought of using it at body wash. Though, I typically buy the same shampoo...yeah, the beauty salon has me suckered into the salon brand....expensive but good and lasts. Biolage Sleek Look.

Jenny wren's nest said...

So sorry to hear about your loss, I will be holding your up in my prayers.
Thank you so much for your help in my blogging, I actually made you a batch on no bake cookies for the day we meet, but left them on the kitchen counter and was to embarresed to tell you. OOps
Jenny

Melli said...

Ohhh Linda... I am sorry to hear about your friend. My prayers are with you - and the family too.

After traveling the blog-globe yesterday all I can say about middle school is that I am sO glad I don't have any of the horrific memories y'all do. I'm betting I had the experiences but I blocked them! I'm a pro at blocking - which is why I have so few memories at all!

Yea... decorating tables - which I love to do too - is rather a pain if you're not entertaining. The cat gets into them, or you have to move them for homework or ... dinner... or something! Even the little tables around the house... or the coffee table -- we're all the time having to move the centerpieces for one reason or another!

I loved Rainman too! Gotta go to Kmart. Gotta get boxers. LOL!

Greg C said...

Wow a double cookie plug...You go girl. May I sing to you?

Just Breathe said...

Sorry about your friend. Love your yorkie. I lost mine in '08. I now have a precious Cairn Terrier. I didn't want to replace my Westie or Yorkie so I moved to the Cairn.
I came over from Patiently Waiting.
I want to know about those cookies when you have time.
dpucci9972@gmail.com
Take care and God Bless. I am looking forward to getting to know you.

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Still keeping you & the families in my prayers.

I love it when you talk to yourself on your blog - too funny! I'm thinking you could start a whole other blog on table decorating - then it would be okay to decorate for no guests.

Linda said...

No apologies necessary. I'm so sorry for your loss. Take the time you need.