Thursday, September 24, 2009

Short Post

It's Thursday, 8:20pm, and I just returned from an outdoor tent celebration of the life of a friend who passed away, making this my second funeral of three this week.

Quickly just wanted to share a couple of thoughts relative to the significance:

... A home video of Lenette, mom of three, wherein her son asks her several years ago, "Do you like your life?" and she answers, "I love my life," and enumerates all the reasons she loves it. It was absolutely emotionally grueling to watch, but it was oh so good and important.

... Jorge and I walk to the car, and he observes that not everyone can say that. Her life may have been shortened, but she loved her boys and her life. There are people who live three times as long unhappy with everything. So we celebrate her love of life, and let that inspire us to love our lives even more.

... Should not put off going to see people who are ill, even if you think you might be taxing them or interrupting because you will regret it. Sadly, I did this with two of these friends. Two minutes is better than zero.

... A thought from the spouse of my dear friend who passed, "When your spouse is in a bad mood, be thankful. A bad mood is better than no mood." I will always remember that.

I would like to say to my husband one more time today, I love you. I promise to take you for good, bad, better, worse, sickness and health. I'll always be with you until the very end.

I'll be back to normal posting tomorrow, I hope.

22 comments:

H-Mama said...

Bless your heart, (((Linda))). Thanks for sharing this.

Teacup Teacher Mom said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend. How old is her son? Not that there is ever an easy time to lose your mom. Did she have other children?

Will be keeping the family in my prayers.

And thank you for the reminder to cherish what time God gives us with our loved ones.

Teacup Teacher Mom said...

Sorry, now I see the answer to one of my questions, she had 3 children.

Quilldancer said...

Oh! Way too much grief for one little week and one little heart. I have lifted you up in prayer. I hope you find peace and joy in the memories you shared with your friends.

a Tonggu Momma said...

I am so sorry for your recent losses. Having lost a close friend and my FIL in less than a month last year... well... I just can't imagine what you are going through this week. My prayers are with you.

Mrs. E said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I love her answer about loving her life. I had an uncle tell his minister shortly before he died that he couldn't imagine heaven could be any better than the life he had on earth. I understand that sometimes.
Here's to loving people while we have the chance!

Beverlydru said...

Hugs. You're so right about the reminder to cherish the moments that we have. Prayers for you and yours.

skoots1mom said...

BS&K have been praying for you...mourning is a precious act of loving and we wish we could give you BIG hugs

sara said...

oh, now I am in tears. I know they are so thankful they have that video! I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. I know how much it hurts and am praying for you as you walk through your grief.

Mocha with Linda said...

Thanks for sharing and allowing us to peek inside your heart.

Hugs to you, sweet friend.

Kelly Combs said...

Wonderful post! So important. I'm so sorry for your losses. It does make us appreciate life and our loves so much more, doesn't it?

Keep hanging in there.

The Bug said...

I'm in tears too - it's so hard to lose someone before we're ready. Of course, we're usually never ready...

Amy@My Front Porch said...

"When your spouse is in a bad mood, be thankful. A bad mood is better than no mood."

Wow.

Jenny wren's nest said...

Thnks for reminding us, it's so easy to take life for granted.
Jenny

Roxanne said...

Big hugs, Linda. Thinking of you.

Darla said...

i am teary eyed now. but thank you for that!!!! a bad mood is better than no mood. wow.

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

These are great, and sobering, reminders. Thank you, Linda, for sharing them, even though I'm sure it's hard.

*Hugs*

Dena said...

Thank you for this post Linda. It made me stop and think, that even though I'm going through some rough times right now...I do overall LOVE my life and must be grateful for all parts of it.

Hugs to you.

lailani said...

I am teary too, so sorry for so many losses. Sending hugs!

Teri~Facedown said...

Sorry for all of the loss you've been encountered with. These reflections are so sobering. Thank you for sharing them.

Rachel said...

How this touched me...

My best friend died of cancer far too young nearly 5 years ago...

And the part that really killed me - was that all the friends suddenly were missing.

I understand that it's hard. And you don't know what to say. And you are afraid to intrude.
But it's far worse to die without having spent just a few more precious moments with those you love and cherish.

I'll never regret those awful heartwrenching beautiful moments near the end. I'm glad you were able to celebrate your friend's life.

Sue said...

My heart aches for your heart break. Thanks for sharing those poignant points for us all to remember. Life is short. No matter how long we've got... we've only got one today so we need to make it count!

Big hugs as you grieve!