My sweet friend Robin at Be Still and Know came up with one of the most creative blogging ideas I've seen in four years of blogging.
The carnival is called "I Won ... You Win!" (subtitled "The Gift that Keeps on Giving") and the idea behind it is that once you win the "prize," you pass it on to another winner. In this case, the main prize is a book called Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes by Robin Jones Gunn. What's cool about this is that we are sharing this book literally and figuratively, since Robin and I have both made a couple of notes in the margins about things we like on certain pages.
Here's how Robin explained the concept:
As I finished the book up the other day I began to think about the two women the story centers around.
The story begins with two pen pals in elementary school and they continue with there friendship for many, many years through letters and emails, but they have never actually met, not until things change for the main character. Her life takes an unexpected turn and she finds herself face to face with her long time pen pal.
I began to think of the similarities between the two women in the book and all of you, my fellow bloggers.
As members of this unique internet community we enter into each other lives as we read each others posts, as we comment, share encouraging words or just a well needed giggle now and then.
But what I enjoyed as I read this book was the depiction of the friendship these two women shared. They had been intimately involved in each other lives but had never been in the same room with each other, never shared a cup of coffee over the kitchen table, never wept in each other arms. Yet they still shared in the deep bonds of friendship.
The relationship the two women in this book have is a real friendship, as real as friendships get.
I found the simulates between the book and the blogosphere to almost mirror each other.
The idea for “I Won…You Win” is two fold.
Once a winner is chosen I will send the book out into the blogosphere.
My hope is that whoever wins it will keep the “I Won…You Win” giveaway going.
The second requirement is once you have finished the book place your blog address on the inside cover, as well as the date you finished the book and then continue the “I Won…You Win” Giveaway on your blog.
Link back to me in your giveaway. Let’s see where this takes us.
I also want to encourage everyone who reads the book to mark your favorite chapter in the book with a note in the margin telling future readers why you enjoyed the chapter. Use your imagination, tuck a special note in the pages or a pretty bookmark, but put “yourself” somewhere in the pages of the book.
I am so excited to send this out into the blogosphere.
Let the giveaway begin!
When I received the book, I found that Robin had tucked in some sweet surprises that really blessed me, and I want to do that for you, too. (Secret!)
If you'd like to put your name in the
Thanks to Robin, the patron Saint of Blogging Patience (You don't know how hard it was to resist paintshopping a halo into this pic) who has been waiting for me to finish the book and get on the carnival ball. She's probably thinking, "Did Lidna really understand that she's supposed to pass this gift along?"
Anyway, I do think this is a great, fun idea for celebrating our unique relationship as bloggers. If you're in, let me know!
*PREVIEW* Write your post, publish tomorrow and link up tomorrow.
1. Tell me something about your favorite teacher.
2. Tell me about one pivotal moment in your life.
3. About favorite colors--a lot of people will ask you what it is, but I want to know why it is. What feeling or memory does it evoke?
4. What's a sure sign that you're getting older?
5. Please don't sermonize, but Halloween--is it a yes or no for you?
6. What's your favorite musical?
7. Are you more of a city mouse or country mouse?
8. Did you know that it is possible, for a small fee, to name a real star after someone? (It's true! Google it!) If someone were to name a star for you, would you appreciate it for its whimsy and romance, or would you say, "Are you kidding me? For $19.95 we could have gone to the movie and actually bought popcorn."
This question comes from Paula at His Ways Are Not Our Ways.
9. What's the craziest thing you've ever been doing and texted during it? I only thought of this b/c I was about to try to text during my walking video but I didn't.
Paula, you do know that this blog is rated G, right?
10. "It's not a party unless _______."
11. When you're stuck in traffic or a waiting room, what do you do to pass the time? PS: There are no magazines available.
12. If you weren't yourself, would you be friends with you?
Come back tomorrow ready to link up! Don't forget to let me know if you want in on "I Won ... You Win!" Have a wonderful Tuesday.