Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Lingonberries, Hall & Oates, Ikea: Let's Catch Up and Then Preview the Dozen

EDIT: Blogger is wonky. Can't publish comments as of last night and today.

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

Glad to know I'm not the only post-adolescent who will admit to loving purple.

And yes, I had the purple shag carpeting and lavender bedroom walls with a canopy and white furniture when I was little.

Donny, however, missed all the signs and went and married someone else, but OH WELL, his loss, and my definite gain because my honey took me to Ikea over the weekend--twice.

And no, "took me to Ikea" is not code for honeymoon talk like, "fly me to the moon;" he really did take me to Ikea not once but twice, which I'm pretty sure guaranteed him a condo in heaven and makes this the longest sentence I've ever written.

Can you tell I'm in a good mood?

When we arrived at Ikea Sunday, we ate in their little cafeteria, and yes, I had the Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes and lingonberry (ling-uhn-ber-ree) sauce. I believe the literal translation of "lingonberry" from Swiss is: "Why are we sitting here eating cranberry sauce when we could be downstairs shopping for plates and vases and rugs and bookcases and chairs?? OHMYGOSH let's get out of here!!"

I picked up two cute little seasonal lamps, one orange for Fall, one green for ... kicks? for my dining area. I also picked up a table runner and a few other odds and ends and gifts. (Must click on to see lamp better, also the wrinkle in the runner-ugh) Cheap, cheap, cheap, and fun, fun, fun.

As if it couldn't get any "funner," Jorge bought me some chocolate later that night, and then there was a Hall and Oates concert on TV, which, as you may or may not know, is a guilty pleasure of mine. Their music, that is. For there is no guilt in chocolate. "Blue-eyed soul," I believe their music is called. Jorge said that John Oates is the Harpo Marx of Hall and Oates because of the hair and not ever speaking.











And that would be one more reason why I love Jorge, because he is more nuts than I am.

Monday morning we ate at Panera, which is my fave, and then Jorge took me back to Ikea because there was this bowl that I've been wanting for the longest time, and it's $10 cheaper this year, so I had "Non-buyer's Remorse" and went back after it.

Then we went shopping for a Netbook for me, but I decided to wait until closer to the holidays to see if the price drops.

But Jorge was ready and willing to buy me one, which was very sweet.

Don't even go there, Donny. Your window of opportunity with me passed (uh, let me do the math ... 47 minus 12 = 35) THIRTY-FIVE YEARS AGO.

Speaking of rAnDoM, here is the preview for tomorrow. NOTE: Some of you are still not getting this concept, bless your hearts. Today is the preview. You read, think, create. Tomorrow, you post and link that particular post (not just your blog) to my post tomorrow. (Note that there were two "tomorrows" in that sentence. For a reason.) Then people will come and see you and land right on the correct post at your place. I hope that makes sense. But even if it's not clear, don't let that stop you from joining in, OK? We'll find you somehow, even if we find you ... irritating. KIDDING!! Totally kidding.

1. On an average, how often do you splurge and buy something for yourself?
2. Are you more like Hall or Oates? Just kidding. Real question: What is the last creative project you began/finished? Feel free to post a pic of it.
3. OK, Goldie Locks, do you consider your house too big, too little or juuuust right?
4. What is your favorite outdoor chore?
5. If you knew that cigarette smoking was not bad for your health but would be a weight loss tool, would you use it? Why or why not?
6. On a road trip, would you rather drive or ride?
7. What do you consider a trivial pursuit?
8. This weekend, we downloaded the movie "Duplicity" with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. Within 5 minutes, I was bored and annoyed, but I kept watching 5-10 minutes at a time hoping it would get better between small chores. I finally gave up and Jorge watched it alone, and then regretted wasting that time because he disliked it intensely, too. So ... how long do you watch a movie or read a book before giving up on it?
9. Is there a song that you really love but are embarrassed to admit because it's not cool or it's racy or because it's by Hall and Oates?
10. On a scale of 1-10 (10 = extremely) how spontaneous are you?
11. Are you a food and/or beverage snob?
12. Who/What are you trying to control in your life?

19 comments:

SusanD said...

Happy Birthday Lid! Great picture of you. Glad you had fun in the city. Blessings, SusanD

Pamela said...

Glad you went back to get the bowl. A couple of years ago I really wanted some dishes that were at Target. The first trip I bought the salt and pepper shakers to make sure they actually went with the wall paper that was in the kitchen dining area. I started to go back and get some more pieces after I decided I really liked them. Wes told me to hold off because my birthday was coming up and those are easy gifts for the kids to get me. In a matter of three weeks they were gone. No more were coming in. Sad, sad, sad.

The Bug said...

Glad you had fun at Ikea - even though we lived RIGHT THERE (as in 5 miles away) we never went. I went once with a friend & hubby & I went once while we were moving 30 miles away...

Darn it - you're making me think again. I'd better get started on those questions now!

Susanne said...

Two ikea trips in a day. Wow. Your hubby must really love you. Love your little bowl. You done good going back for it.

Tamika: said...

Hi Lid!

You gave me a lot of questions to ponder... Looking forward to tomorrow's discussion!

Blessings to you...

Amy@My Front Porch said...

You are making me wish we lived closer to an Ikea -- love that bowl!

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow, those are some hard-hitting questions. What happened to "what's your favorite color?"?! LOL

And the things you get people to confess. . . .You know, down here we don't always enunciaTe the lasT letters in our worDs. When I was in high school I kept hearing them play this strangely-named new group that was apparently straight from the country: Haulin' Oats. The first time I saw it in print, I was amaseD.

Melli said...

BOY! You were on a ROLL with this post! It's okay - it was a gooey cinnamon sticky roll... yummy! I missed your birthday - so HAPPY BELATED! It sounds like you may have been well celebrated! But ... ummm... I'm not sure how to tell you this... Zebras don't ROAR! They're actually fairly quiet critters... a little neigh every now and then... But you looked SMASHING! I don't wear purple - being a redhead and all... so I'm totally into the purple and orange thing! (purple and red has become a fashion of it's own...) More importantly than that though, I embarrass MY kids with big flashy hats with feathers and all! I LOVE them! And I can! Because I AM over 50! Having done zebra for 47 - what in the world are you going to do for 50???

Okay - I'm OFF to see the the Randomness now... and I will TRY to remember to link TO THE POST... that's such a nuisance - because then it stays in the linky memory and the next time I want to link to something, I have to CHANGE it! Yep - I'm THAT lazy!

H-Mama said...

We love us some Ikea! Happy Birthday, Linda. ;)

Kim said...

You crack me up. I don't have a blog, but wanted to make two comments about your post today.
#1 - I actually have the movie Duplicity sitting on my counter at home right now (Netflix). Doggone it - I think I will still start it, even after your scathing review. But, thanks for the warning.
#2 - Jorge is the husband that I need. I took my hubs to IKEA one time and he told me afterwards that he would never do that with me again. Ever.

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

ROFL about the honeymoon lingo!

And I guess I'm one of the irritating ones, huh? :) Sorry I've been posting on Tuesdays. I'll do better next this week!

easternsparkle said...

Donny & Ikea in one post who'd have thought! Love them both - I'm sure Donny would have taken you if he'd known you wanted to go...!

barbarah said...

We don't have an IKEA anywhere near here, unfortunately. I'd love to visit one.

Thanks for posting these a day early. I like giving more thought to some of the questions.

Anne Carr said...

Ahhh, I LOVE Ikea!! Took my hubby there a couple weeks ago for his first time. I *SO* wanted that bowl you went back and got the next day!! I looked at it, held it, and lovingly let my fingers run across the edges as I walked away because I simply didn't know what I'd do with it...
What are you going to do with it?

Sounds like a great birthday!

Cyndy said...

Uhhh Lid?

Ikea is Swedish...not that it matters to me because I'm Norwegian but alas....I'm married to a Swede, and Lingonberries with Swedish Meatballs and mashed potatoes matter very much to him. So on any occasion in which the Swedes and Swiss are confused...since I'm married to a Swede and all...I'm obligated to clear that up.

So, Lingonberries are Swedish for "Why are we sitting here eating cranberry sauce when we could be downstairs shopping for plates and vases and rugs and bookcases and chairs?? OHMYGOSH let's get out of here!!"

Just thought I'd clear that up for you...

...and by the way...you HAVE to try the macaroni and cheese next time you go to Ikea because that's Swedish for "OHMYGOSH, I think I've died and gone to heaven, would someone please get me some more!!"

Blessings and Happy Birthday!
Cyndy

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

I am GETTING that bowl...I have been coveting it for a long time...$10?? Hmm....wonder how much it'd ship for....
{Crossing fingers that sister-in-law in Mnpls gets my name for christmas :)}

Jewel said...

Love your fall decor and the cute little bowl, which guys just don't seem to understand, hm? *smile*
I'm going to start working on my questions NOW so I won't be the last one to post AGAIN this week! :-)

Betty said...

I´m glad you had such a good trip to Ikea! I love that store too!

I like your questions for tomorrow. I will be there!

MichaƩle said...

God knows what he is doing and placed the nearest IKEA 300 miles away from me. Starbucks? He placed several in my neighborhood. Again, The Guy knows what He is doing.

Ahem..I beg to differ. I was Donny's future wife. I would cry when the Donnie and Marie show was preempted on Friday nights. And I NEVER, repeat NEVER got those Donny and Marie Barbie Dolls that I asked for for Christmas in 1976.

I shall sign myself,

One of the Annoying Tuesday Posters