Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Random Dozen #7 Preview And The Race


For those of you who guessed "Runaway Bride" yesterday, you are correct. Next time I ask a trivia question, I'm going to take a cue from the guys of NPR's Car Talk and ask that you send in your guess written on a 3x5" postcard attached to the underside of a Inspiron 11z Dell Mini Netbook, green.

******

So I did a 5K with Jorge last Saturday called "Soles to Souls" to aid a couple of homeless shelters here in town.

I had three goals:

1) No coming in last place
2) No walking
3)No peeing of the pants

Those are some pretty lame goals, but I accomplished them all.

My time?

Wouldn't you like to know! (REALLY slow)

And now from my FB status update, I'd like to share a great quote:

"Once an overweight couch potato with a glut of bad habits, including smoking and drinking, at the age of 43 John Bingham looked mid-life in the face—and started running. Since then, he has completed 40 marathons and hundreds of 5K and 10K races...—and developed a whole new outlook." Famous quote: "The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start."

And that is how I feel, too. Here are some pics:






Here's your "heads up" for tomorrow. Happy Answering to ya!


1. I've always wondered why we were taught both printing and cursive. Do you prefer to print or write cursive? (Keyboard is not a choice.)

2. Are you a dreamer or a realist?

3. Billy Joel or Elton John?

4. What is the scariest movie you've ever seen? Not limited to horror flicks but also includes ones where the tension or suspense is killer, for example, Flightplan (2005): A bereaved woman and her daughter are flying home from Berlin to America. At 30,000 feet the child vanishes and nobody admits she was ever on that plan.

5. Now what is the scariest real-life moment you've had?

6. What word do you misspell without fail?

7. Name something you like to do but are not really talented or good at.

8. Do you get your emotional/mental batteries recharged by being around people or by having alone time?

9. Have you ever been on TV?

10. Apple or pumpkin pie? (Don't be greedy.)

11. How many magazine subscriptions do you have?

12. What lesson do you have to keep re-learning?

27 comments:

Sarah said...

Ok, just so ya know...I STILL have that song in my head..."rich girl." ALL DAY... ;)

Sarah said...

P.S. Love the picture pile slide show thingy-ma-bob. :) I must try it!

Quilldancer said...

NO walking? I'd have had to crawl! I am considering making a goal of walking around the block everyday (that's about a mile).

Loved your photos!

CrowGeo said...

You are so cute and I love you very much. Proud of you!!!

Abiding Branch said...

Congrats on reaching your goals!! Go for the gold Linda!!! I am jealous that you did the whole thing without peeing!! That would be an accomplishment for me my dear!!!
Whomever does not "get that" is Out of Touch!
Chel

SusanD said...

Great goals. Congrats on achieving them. Mine would have been just to finish. I am so not a runner.

Tough questions this week. Have to give them more thought than usual.

Blessings, SusanD

Greg C said...

Ok I am going to participate this week. I am actually getting caught up. I had those same goals when I started out running. I never did finish last and I have actually won several trophys. I have on occasion had to walk when I tried to slam drink at the pit stop and choked on the water and banana. It was a half marathon though so I was proud to finish in 1 hr and 45 minutes. Not many people can do that. As for the other pit stop, so far, good. although I did once run past a house under construction and though, what the heck, I have to go and there is a porta potty right there.

Mrs. E said...

I love your goals!! I ran a couple of 2 mile races a few year back and thought I needed a shirt that said, "I had a stroke. What's your excuse?" on the back. I wasn't last...and embarrassingly enough, both races were so small that I placed in my age group. Horrid times.

Thena said...

Good for you. My fear isn't not finishing either. It's the motivation to ever get started.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Yay for you! What an accomplishment!

I love that pic of you and Jorge together...priceless.

Lauren said...

WOW --- YAYYY!!! Congrats on meeting all 3 goals!! (especially the pee your pants one ... coulda been bad!) I really want to be a runner, but always seem to have an excuse why I can't. It's pathetic. I think I might start getting limbered up and in shape with yoga and walking ... then eeeeaaassee my way into jogging. My husband has legs that are about a mile long - he can run forever... and FAST!! I am jealous. :P

Debbie said...

I love these questions. Not as much as your brilliant idea of the netbook!

Mocha with Linda said...

So where's the panting, sweating, after picture?!

Congrats on a great achievement!

Wow. These questions get deeper every week. Except #10. That's a no-brainer!

Katie@The Baby Factory said...

Love that quote!! Too too funny :) I hope that happens to me ;)

samurai said...

Hi Linda - way to go on accomplishing your goals in the 5k! \o/ 8)

I also liked your quote (from your FB page)... and i hope you don't mind, but i quoted your quote on my blog yesterday. 8)

Melli said...

I am sO proud of you! I think they were excellent goals -- I would not have been able to accomplish...ANY of them! I'm sure! LOL! But that fella with the quote is absolutely right! I did that once -- and then it fell apart... I need to do it again. Another miracle please? (how many do we GET in a lifetime?)

Susanne said...

Gotta love the game face. Jorge's looks a little more determined and intimidating than yours though. You might have to work on the "tough" look. LOL.

Amy said...

Love that quote. So true...when I decided to run a 10K the hardest part was the getting up EARLY to run and train...the finishing was easy (well maybe not EASY)

That decision to run the 10K was the best gift I could have given myself.

Are you hooked??

Amy

Kim said...

Congrats on your first race! Love that quote too.

Fun random questions for the week :-)

Jewel said...

Congratulations!! Running a mini is on my bucket list.. our church had a 3k 2 weeks ago but it fell during an aweful time when I absolutely consumed by papers and exams.. I wish I had done it. =/

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

I am so proud of you! I'd never have the guts (or legs) to do that!

RD- you keep putting the tough question last...

Dena said...

You and Jorge are both just too cute! Good for you running, having goals you reached, and doing it for a great cause.

I've been terrible about keeping up with blog reading - sorry I haven't replied much lately. I will definitely link up though!

Jewel said...

Those were pretty lofty goals AND you met them! Good for you! The most difficult for me would have been #3, I'm afraid! Argh!
I need to get moving again! I used to walk 3-5 brisk miles a day but never did run unless it was just to run a bit during my walk to get my metabolism fired up a little! :-)
The new questions look interesting!

SouthLakesMom said...

Congratulations! I did the Disney Marathon in 2006 and I'm done with running. So don't feel like you have to 'love' it now. Even though I trained for months, met some really nice people, and enjoyed Disneyworld...I don't love running, I never loved running, and I won't ever love running. I did it because my ego was involved and at the time, I was trying very hard to love running. Ah well, that's another story.

2Thinks said...

Oh, you sexy thang...good job on accomplishing those racing goals. My greatest accomplishment would've been if I did not pee my pants, for sure.

Are we gonna have some more 3x5 exercise challenges this fall or whatever that was- 3x5 green apple notebook exercise challenges...you know what I'm talkin' about, right?

Heth said...

WOO HOO! You did it. Love the pics.

Cara and Jenn said...

do you post the random questions every week? I would like to grab one maybe this or next week...come on over and visit...

~Cara