Monday, November 02, 2009

Pepper & Fall Into Flavor

Recently a friend shared about her toddler grandson who stuck part of a crayon up his nose.

(To the mom of this toddler I say, "Be of good courage; this stage lasts but a short time, and then in the blink of an eye, he will wreck your car.")

A quick-thinking relative told them to put pepper under his nose so that he would sneeze the crayon out.

To be honest, when she got to that part of the story, I was a nay-sayer because pepper never makes me sneeze when I cook, but it worked, and they avoided a trip to the ER.

So I was telling Kristin about this as I was cooking, and we decided to try it.

She sniffed first and had quite a sneezy facial expression but never sneezed.

Then I sniffed it, still talking about how it never makes me sneeze.

About the time I finished that sentence, I cut loose a sneeze that felt like it had drilled a hole through the earth from China, shot up into my feet and slammed into my nasal passages.

And then, you know what happened next.

So I RAN to the bathroom, tripping over Zoe who was barking and going crazy because I was sort of "barking" and going crazy myself.

Yeah, so after a few moments I returned and began the whole seasoning process again, a humbled and cranky middle aged woman, victim of her own pepper assault.

And so now we're all in the mood to cook. Let's Fall Into Flavor.



The holidays often mean carry-ins. A co-worker brings these Wonton Sausage Flowers to our carry-ins, and we snarf them down like only a church staff can.

Wonton Sausage Flowers

Ingredients:
24 wonton wrappers
1 pkg of bulk pork sausage
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. chopped celery
1/4 c. green pepper
1 clove garlic
1 3oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 T. Chopped green onions.
Cheddar cheese for sprinkling

How to:

1. Oven 350*. Lightly grease miniature muffin pan.
2. Cook sausage, onion, green pepper, celery and garlic. Drain. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in cream cheese.
4. Press wontons into muffin pan so that edges extend over top of well.
5. Place 1 T. of sausage mixture into each wonton.
6. Bake 10 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
7. Transfer to platter and dollop each with cheddar cheese.

Let's link up!

21 comments:

Quilldancer said...

Your pepper story made me laugh uncontrollably so you know what happened next. I had to jump up and run to the bathroom.

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Those sound super easy, super good and I can't believe I'm first!

Have a great week.
Robin

Mama Belle said...

Pepper, huh? You'd never make it down here in the South.

Joyce said...

Great story and it's good to know we don't need to carry Mace when walking alone at night. Plain old pepper will work just fine.

I posted a recipe today...yours sounds good and like a fun party dish. Thanks for sharing!

Betty said...

That sounded like some sneeze!! I laughed out loud! I guess you got your own....
The recipe looks good! If only someone would cook it for me.....

Kim said...

Happens to the best of us.... ;)

YUM! Adding Sausage Flowers to my list of "make soon"s. :)

Merrie said...

Sounds great! What a neat idea... I'm sure I'll have to try them...
Thanks...
The pepper story reminded me of a time when Steve decided to see if pepper really makes people sneeze and he had our oldest child (who was about 11) take a big sniff of pepper... he began sneezing and crying and sputtering... he said it burned ..

Kim said...

Too funny! But I feel for you; those pepper sneezes are PAINFUL.

I think I've had these wonton thingies and they were so yummy!

Kelly Combs said...

You might think that pepper story was funny, but it's not...(it SNOT!) Get it? Wahahahaha!

Dena said...

An ER trip sounds less painful, although definitely less blog worthy..ha.

Susanne said...

I couldn't write this comment because I first had to run to the bathroom from laughing so hard. Oh, this has to be another I don't make this stuff up entry. Only you, my friend, only you.

Mocha with Linda said...

LOL - just another take on #17 on my Have You Ever. . . post from yesterday.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

LOVED the pepper story...

H-Mama said...

thanks for the motherly reminder of the next phase of motherhood {crossing fingers that my girls will never wreck our car... or any car for that matter!}. ;)

pepper assault. priceless! ha!

Sue said...

Too funny and luckily for the boy the sneeze worked!

Amy said...

Ahh the many stages of motherhood alas they just keep coming don't they...Thankfully my kids never stuck anything up their noses and I'll keep you posted on the wrecking of cars as we aren't quite there yet.

Amy

skoots1mom said...

i'm so late getting in today...probably guarantee i'll be last.

But wanted to share another Fall-ish recipe (even though it's not my original...it's all MARTHA's)

KD said...

I wish we had tried that - when youngest DD was that age she shoved one of the infamous lite brite plastic thingies up her nose. It took 3 nurses and my husband to hold this little 3 year old down, while the doctor extracted the offending item!!!
The Wonton Sausage Flowers sound like a fun party food.

Jewel said...

I'm very sensitive to pepper and sneeze my head of when using it but I love it, so I just SNEEZE ON! *smile*
My recipe is up a day late but still delish! :-)

40winkzzz said...

ack- i commented on this on fb last night instead of here. well, since i have no time to write on my own blog but all the time in the world to write on other people's blogs, here i am again:

wish we'd thought of pepper when my #3 kid stuck a little wooden plug way up his nose. after an hour of trying with tweezers, we hauled him to the dr, who had it out in 3 minutes. "that will be $70 please."

as to your 2nd line... frig-emptied-onto-kitchen-floor has only had a fender bender, but toilet-paper-all-over-hallway totaled one of our vehicles at age 17. as for wooden-plug-up-nose, we're just not going to let him get his license. ever.

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Pepper spray???