Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Link Up for the Random Dozen & Something You Don't Know About Mr. Linky


I am so, so very happy to tell you that I'm writing my post from Panera today on the new Netbook. Have I mentioned I love the new Netbook once or twice?

The only downfall is the couple directly to my right who are quietly having a serious discussion about their relationship. Just not quiet enough.

Normally, I answer the dozen on Thursday, but I decided to get all crazy and toss it all up in the air and look what happened, I posted my answers today with you! Please link up at the bottom so that everyone can come see you.

1. Do you find it gross to share drinks with family? Friends?

I wouldn't say "gross." I would say I'm cautious about it. Somehow, in all these 47 years, I have escaped the plague of cold sores, although I used to get canker sores regularly. Big difference. So, I'm cautious for that reason; I don't want to have to deal with cold sores. And I just love the way this week's edition started with such a lovely thought: "I prefer not to contract Herpes Simplex."

2. What have you learned this year? (You didn't see a question of that weight coming, did you? At least not for #2.)

I learned, or should I say "re-learned," via four funerals, that life is short and that you can be breathing one minute and not the next. Eternity is not far away out there somewhere; it's as near and real as the snap of a finger, the wink of an eye. It is one instant away.

I learned, through Facebook, that you should indeed "Make new friends but keep the old; one is silver and the other gold." I have enjoyed renewing friendships with high school classmates, even some who date back to grade school. Ten years ago, I wouldn't have cared as much as I do now. It's an age thing.

I'll stop there in the name of brevity.


3. When do you dismantle the Christmas decorations?

January 1 or 2. And inevitably, my mom will call in the middle of the dismantling right at the point of Christmas tree light frustration and ask if I'm cooking cabbage. Why? It's a Midwestern/Southern tradition that is supposed to bring about prosperity in the new year. And it works all right. If the country's currency is stinky gas.

4. Something you wish to accomplish before the end of 2009 is:

Getting a higher score than 9750 on Facebook Farkle?

5. How do you feel about winter (after Christmas)?

If it weren't for being afraid to run out there on the frozen tundra, I'd be OK with it. Except I do think I struggle with some seasonal affective disorder. When I used to go to the tanning bed, I didn't just go for the tan; I also went for the feeling of a mini tropical vacation in the sun. The smell of coconut, the bright light, the warmth after just trudging in from snow .... ahh, I miss it.

6. Have you participated in after-Christmas sales?

No, and I have about as much desire to as plucking my eyelashes out one by one.

7. Do you have plans for New Year's Eve?

They're in the making. I believe it's going to include Farkle at a friend's house. What can I say? I'm a junkie. It's the only game of chance I've ever enjoyed. I really like Catch Phrase because it's all about words.

8. Is there anything special awaiting you in January?

Amy Grant is going to call me? HA HA JUST KIDDING. We know she's not.

No, I can't think of anything besides the season premiere of Biggest Loser on January 5th
and the season premiere of Chuck on January 10.

9. If your life this year was a movie, what category or genre would it be? (Romance, Comedy, Drama, Thriller, Suspense, Farcical, etc.)

Dramedy. Drama with a twist of comedy.

10. How much time per day do you spend blogging? Please do not lie. I will know.

Ahh, the real question is how much time do I spend on Facebook. It has consumed me much as blogging did a couple of years ago. I'm trying to find balance in both.

11. Who runs your household?

What a bad question. You must have run out of ideas. I would say we have a balance of power. When the kids were younger, I had more power. They have stripped me of my power now so that now I am merely a figurehead like the Queen of England is for Australia.

12. Share one hope/dream for 2010.

I'm not trying to be melodramatic here, but I don't really have dreams (i.e. big hopes or plans for the future) like other people. I don't know when I stopped, but I just don't. I have spent a lot of time trying to learn to lower my expectations in life, not raise them to have them crushed. I know that sounds drab, but it works for me.

Wow, what a "Sally Sad Sack" answer. But I don't feel sad about it; it just sounds sad, like,

"Happy New Year," signed, Eeyore.




In the title, I mentioned "something you don't know about Mr. Linky." Well here it is: Don't make the mistake of typing "Mr. Kinky" for "Mr. Linky." Trust me.

35 comments:

Linda said...

I'm not happy that Amy Grant hasn't called you! What is that all about? Ugh.

barbarah said...

I'm glad you posted your answers the same day as the rest of us! Congrats on the new Netbook!

I agree about after-Christmas sales.

I am looking forward to those two premiers, too! And Heroes Jan. 4!

I'm kind of similar in regard to #12. I tend to just live life as it comes.

kara with a k said...

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the highlight of January is Chuck and The Biggest Loser (and just so you know, in February it will be LOST).

jessjokin said...

Okay Queen Lid (haha) I like it when you answer with us!
Jessie

auburnchick said...

I'm not sure how to create a link to my own answers other than to post the link here (my blog is not on Blogger):

http://auburnchick.wordpress.com/2009/12/28/random-dozen/

By the way, funny answers!!!

Tabi said...

Sounds like we will be having a similiar New Years, we bought the game catch phrase for that night! I hope you have a great new years eve and a awesome new year!

Joyce said...

I waited to read your answers til I posted mine....they're up.

Happy New Year and may your Farkle dreams come true!

Kim said...

I'll be sure to keep that last tidbit about Mr. Kinky in mind. lol

While I love cooked cabbage, I don't like the smell of it cooking so don't usually make it when it's cold out and I can't open the windows and air out the house. This is one tradition I had not heard of, and think I'll pass on :-)

I'm quite excited that Chuck is coming back too. As is my son. We call and see if the other has had a chance to watch it yet and then we talk about the episode :-)

I'm going to have to check out Farkle. Haven't played that in years, and never online.

Melli said...

LOL! I promise I will NOT make that mistake.

I don't think your #12 is really all that sad. I think I have had years like that too. Sometimes life is just about being content with what we have... we don't really have to look forward to something!

And at least you know what you learned this year!

Bekah said...

Hmmm, TV premieres. I have a couple actually written on my calendar. Can we say "couch potato"? At least I'm a prepared and organized potato! Have a great New Years!

The Bug said...

Mr. Kinky - bwahahahaha!

Faith said...

aw man...AMy Grant still hasn't called ya?? lol loved your answeres...Mine is up but my first linky thing didn't work....so you'll see my name (faith) twice. the 2nd one is correct. I didn't know how to delete the first one or if i even could...so sorry!!! happy new year!

sara said...

why do people do that? go to a public place to have a private conversation?!!

so what is up with winning that call from amy grant? was the contest bogus or did she renege?

and Mr. Kinky.....:\ thanks for the tip!

Holly Solomon Barrett said...

Linked to the Random Twelve and did a blog post this morning. Thanks!!

Tamika: said...

I love my new netbook! What a treasure!

Have a happy New Year!

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

#1 Great start!

#10 Political answer; you never answered the question! "Enquiring" minds want to know.

BTW, that's why I dropped FB.

#11 Long live the Queen!

#12 I have one for you...you want to be published, don't you? That's a dream! :-)

Love you, sweet friend.
Happy New Year, signed Pooh

Patrice said...

I laughed out loud at the typo of Mr. kinky!! HA HA!

Cynthia said...

Came to your blog through Teena Reyes' blog. I love browsing blogs, now I've written the word blog 4 times. One of these days I'll start my own.

Just wanted to say I love your comment about being a figurehead. Really funny. I can relate.

Another Suburban Mom said...

The real biggest highlight of January is that Season 7 of Project Runway begins.

I am also up!

Happy New Year

Thena said...

Now to see how many's curiosity got the best of them and went and checked out Mr. Kinky. I didn't start doing the random dozen until towards the end of the year but have truly enjoyed them. It's been a great way of getting to know other bloggers. I hope it continues through the new year.

Mocha with Linda said...

Cooked cabbage?! Down here in the South you have to eat black-eyed peas on New Year's. But I hate them so I just take whatever comes in the year!

Too funny about Mr. Linky!

Methinks the Amy Grant PR person better realize the power of bloggers!

Happy New Year from your co-Lid and Ted K.

Cindy Bultema said...

As always, love the questions! Thanks so much!!
Here's to a blessed New Year! :)

Amy@My Front Porch said...

You never fail to make me laugh Linda!

Mr. Kinky...ai yi yi! :)

Susanne said...

That' strange, I was just thinking yesterday about you and Amy! She needs to call. Call, Amy, Call! January would be good. Lidna needs a little addition to Biggest Loser and Chuck premiers.

Have a wonderful New Year, Linda! I think we'll be playing the Star Trek Monopoly game my daughter gave us for Christmas. I may just be purchasing something from Vulcan or Cardassia! If I have any luck at all I may own the whole Continuum before midnight! LOL.

Quilldancer said...

You know why people go to public places to have private conversations, right? They think it will help them stay calm and not get overly emotional. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work.

Happy New Year, Linda. May it bring you more joy than sorrow and more laughter than tears.

Cathy Davis said...

I will make certain to always spell Mr. Linky correctly!

http://lattejust4me.blogspot.com/2009/12/random-thoughts-of-2009.html

I can't seem to find the link for Mr. Linky!

Mama Zen said...

Mr. Kinky. Oh, I bet that was a hoot!

Cathy said...

Hi Linda. I've never been here before, but I've been seeing the Random Dozen around on other's sites, so I decided to play along this time. Hope that's ok.
Cathy

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

Mine's posted and I'll be sure to not accidentally type Mr. Kinky!!

2cats said...

Good for you that Amy Grant is not calling. There aren't many performers that I don't like, but she is one of them.
I don't have dreams either. I just want to get through each day as best I can.

kcinnova said...

I've seen your Random Dozen about (esp. at Melli's place and Quilly's place), and I've been impressed with the questions. Also, I like what I see here! I think my new blog thing for the new year will be to join in.

Angie said...

Yay! Thanks for commenting!

I'm glad you're enjoying your notebook. I've got a birthday in March, you've got me thinking about a great idea. :)

I went to check out Farkle...oh, I'm sorry I did. My high score for today - 7,950! Hee hee! :)

Still going to keep up the Random Dozen in 2010?

kcinnova said...

After seeing your meme over at Quilly's and Melli's, I finally decided to play along. My first RD will be up in the wee hours.

Dawn said...

I was telling my mom your answer to "What do you want to accomplish in 2009", and my mom said she only has 12 hours. Well you've know got me playing it on facebook, so now my goal to beat your score, I was close got, 9,750 in my last round. Good luck!

Lynn said...

Blog surfing this morning and enjoyed stumbling by. Liked your comments about dreams and expectations, it's hard to find the balance. Found a prayer last year that helped me begin to dream again from Stormie O. Lord give me a vision for the future. God's dreams are so much better than ours. Hope it works for you too.