Friday, February 12, 2010

Why I love the Starbucks: Mr. Snowbucks and My Dad

Oh, there are many reasons to love the Starbucks, store 9431, I believe.

But here are two:

Yesterday morning, as I approached the pick-up window, I saw this wonderful sight to my right: "Mr. Snowbucks," as I have named him, created by one very clever barista whom I will call "A." The cute, pleasant girl at the window said it took A. 5 hours on his day off to work his snowbucks magic.

A., I can't exactly explain why, but you totally made my day! I also don't know why you would choose to spend most of your day off making a snowman adorned with Starbucks paraphernalia, but you are awesome. If you did this to impress some girl, I hope she appreciates it.




After work, it occurred to me that Dad has never tasted Starbucks before, so I decided it was high time. Therefore, I returned to that same Starbucks before driving to my folks' in order to present Dad with a Starbucks happy birthday elixir of love and happiness.

What did I order, you ask? A DECAF caramel macchiato. (Yes, I am a good daughter. It would have been pretty fun to see how spry he might get had I ordered fully leaded, but my mom might have killed me.)

Anyway. Here he is having his first sip. And just as an aside, his name is Virgil, but people who know him well have always called him "Bud," and lately, my girls have taken to calling him by his rap name, "Budizzle," and my mom, Lucille, by hers, "Lucizzle."

So here's a big Starbucks toast to Budizz on his 88th! Love you, Dad!





Aren't they cute?

23 comments:

Susanne said...

I can't believe he's never had a Starbucks. I hope he thoroughly enjoyed every drop!

Loui said...

YES!
your folks are adorable!!
thank GOD you still have them!!
and thanks for sharing..
what a lovely daughter you are!
happy valentine's day..
to YOU and YOUR folks!!
warmest hugs,laughing smiles..
Loui♥

lagirl said...

Happy Birthday to your DAD!!
He kinda reminds me of Jimmy Stewart! He and your Mom look like great fun!

kcinnova said...

Very cute! (That is, your folks are cuter than the snowman, but it is cute, too!)

Mom24 said...

That's great. Hope he enjoyed it, it looks like he did.

I love the snowman. I bet that brought a lot of smiles.

Happy belated birthday to your dad.

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday, Budizzle!

So... did he like it???

SusanD said...

Oh how fun! Happy Birthday to "Budizzle"! ahahaha You folks are very adorable. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Mocha with Linda said...

Aww, they're adorable! But then, I knew they would be because they raised you!

Mr. Snowbucks is too funny. Except I can't figure out what they used to make the mouth.

And what's up with the cups with the hearts on them?! We just have plain Starbucks cups down here. Hmmpff.

The Bug said...

My grandfather's name was Henry, but he was called Bud too. I would say it's a generational thing - but he would be about 10 years older than your dad if he were still alive.

Your parents ARE too cute!

Atypical Girl said...

Your parents are adorable!!!

Kelly Combs said...

I love this post! :-) Hope you & your daddy & mommy had a great bday "party!"

Betty said...

88!? Congratulations!! He still looks so young and chipper! :)

Did he like it?

thedomesticfringe said...

Awww...Happy Birthday to your dad! Your parents are adorable.

I know he enjoyed his Starbucks!
-FringeGirl

Ginger said...

That is such a beautiful picture of you and your dad!

Amy said...

OK so either your dad was really upset that it has taken him 88 years to finally have a Starbucks, or he is really happy it WASN'T introduced to him earlier...

Either way I hope he enjoyed it.

Amy

Brenda Susan said...

Yes, they are very cute & that would explain why they have such a cute (and goody goody) daughter!

Mrs. E said...

Yes, they are adorable!! And you are an awesome daughter to take him a Starbucks. I'm still giggling over Budizzle and Lucizzle! I love teenagers!! :)

HealthJunkie said...

Your parents are really cute!!!! Nice site. I want to invite you to check mine out sometime. It's all about nutrition and healthy eating.

http://healthjunkie-foodyouwanttoeat.blogspot.com

Keetha Broyles said...

Mr. Snowbucks rocks!!! What a great idea "A" had!

Your parents are just cute as bugs in a rug!!!!

Kim said...

Awww, so sweet! So did your dad like the coffee or is he just too polite to say if he didn't? :-)

Jeanie said...

I have a huge Starbucks addiction, so I loved everything about this post. Your parents look wonderful and you are so lucky to have them.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Your dad is cute. Your mom is precious hidingn behind him. The only thing I've had from Starbucks is a black coffee in an airport. Both beloved (a bigger coffee drinker than me) and me both didn't care for it. I asked for a cup of hot water to dilute it. I've since been told I need to get it with all the "stuff" added to it to sweeten it and chocolate it up. But then they goes against my philosphy to EAT my sweets and not drink them.

Merrie said...

Yes, they are incredibly cute! I love that they are still so spry and in love!
My daughter worked at Starbucks over 2 years ago and LOVED it! They seem to instill something in their workers that brings loyalty and dedication. She would go back to work there and misses it terribly (except that she has 3 kids, husband and is in nursing school!)
Thanks for sharing!