Thursday, April 15, 2010

Please, Oh Please, Read my Random Answers



I don't know what happened yesterday, but there were apparently oodles of problems with Mr. Linky. I apologize. But neither rain or sleet nor snow nor hail nor aberrant Mr. Linkys will keep you die-hards from answering the Random, and I appreciate that. You are the best. MWAAA! Big Hollywood/left kidney of the US kiss. So here are my answers, if you are interested.



1. How do you feel about "Gladiator" sandals, also called "Roman" or "Jesus" sandals? A fashion yea or nay?

I asked this on Facebook and received at least 35 comments. Personally, I don't think they flatter many women. But it's difficult to find a feminine-looking strappy sandal now that doesn't show this influence. Unless you count those ones in Payless that you dye and wear in weddings. So, I'll probably buy a pair that look a little similar, but not over the top. For one thing, I'm 47. For another, I have thick ankles. I don't want people to confuse Linda Crow with Russell Crowe. And by the way, as a male fashion? It's a definite "NAY." "NEIN." "NEM." "NYET." Or, even better in Chinese Mandarin: "BU SHI ZHE YANG!"



2. What is your favorite pizza?

This answer will intersect with #4.

3. There are plans in the works to sell roughly 1,000 items from Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas. This means you could buy Picard's chair for your family room. If not a Star Trek item, what prop, background, set, etc. from what TV or movie would you buy if you could?
[Ex: Hurley's "I Love my Shih tzu" shirt from LOST, the plantation home "Tara" from Gone With the Wind, or Tracy's tambourine from the Partridge Family.]

I'd love anything from LOST. I also love the gowns in Jane Austen movies, although I wouldn't wear them. I'd just like to look at them up close and them maybe donate them to a high school theatre department. I'd like Grace Kelly's sunglasses, and I'd wear them!



4. Name a local food or restaurant that your area is famous for.

There is an Indiana pizza chain called "Pizza King" that native Hoosiers love. In fact, ex-pats sometimes have it shipped to them, which is quite expensive, I understand.

Pizza King's long-time slogan is "Ring the King." I can't count how many "Royal Feasts" I've had after school and after games with friends over the years. It's a part of my heritage! I have heard, though, that it is an acquired taste, and if you don't grow up eating it, you might not love it right away. If we're introducing you to Pizza King and you have a less than enraptured reaction, we swiftly take you out and throw you onto a train and send you to Chicago or Cincinnati or just "somewhere else." More Pizza King for us!



5. What is your current favorite snack?

OK. This is really bad. Every night, I have a cup of decaf with whole cream. But that's not all. I shake the cream in the carton for about 30 seconds and then pour it in. The result is a foaminess that lasts quite a while! It's a like a barista came to my house and made something special for me. But ... that's not all. I then dip a biscotti cookie in this. OH.MY.GOSH. So good-too good! My favorite is "Decadence" by Noni. Now, there's an art to dipping biscotti into coffee because it's a very delicate treat ... but if it falls in, you can just spoon up the goodness and slurp it up!



6. Hypothetical: You are required to be a reality show contestant. Which show would you choose based on your probability of success? (You cannot choose "none.")

A. Dancing with the Stars
B. Biggest Loser
C. Survivor

I can't dance. I'd make Kate Gosselin look good. I'm not a camper. So that leaves Biggest Loser. Although I might not do so well at the challenges, I think I'd do well in a structured weight-loss regimen. Bring it!

7. On a scale of 1-10, with 1 being uninhabitable and 10 being cleanliness that meets the standards of OCD, how clean is your vehicle's interior?

Oh, what a sore spot! I just knew that when my kids got big, I'd have a perpetually neat car. Not so. I'm so embarrassed! I'll give myself a 4 or 5. (Blushes)

8. It doesn't feel like Spring until _________.

I smell cut grass!

9. Something that made you laugh really hard recently is ____.

looking at Carol Burnett skits on line.

10. Tell me about a goal you're working toward.

Losing my last two pounds. GRRRRRR. BISCOTTI, YOU ARE MY GUILTY PLEASURE!

11. Share a thought-provoking or inspiring quote this week.

When we get our spiritual house in order, we'll be dead. This goes on. You arrive at enough certainty to be able to make your way, but it is making it in darkness. Don't expect faith to clear things up for you. It is trust, not certainty.
-- Flannery O'Connor


12. Name one thing that you do as a parent that you absolutely know will make your kids happy. If you're not a parent, feel free to substitute "friend" or nomenclature that works for you.

They all love to go to Starbucks, and the girls like to go shopping. They all like to eat out, too. They may look exactly like my husband, but they share my "likes!"

25 comments:

Natalie said...

I just said the same thing about my daughter. She looks like her daddy, but acts just like me. She loves shopping, has known Starbucks since she was 2 & has a sassy-diva-attitude that even Madonna would be jealous of. I'm looking for my new home for when she's a teenager. I already know we won't be able to stay under the same roof.

Also, I LOVE the smell of fresh cut grass. Yankee Candle used to have a candle with that smell this time of year, but I haven't been able to find the past few years.
Why do they get rid of the good stuff?

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Top that decaf artery plugger with some Redi Whip, sprinkle with cinnamon.

You are welcome.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Missed doing it this week but will be back next time...I always love your answers....

Barbie said...

You would look totally Super in Grace Kelly's sunglasses my dear! I love Nonni's Biscotti's, matter of fact, I had two of them tonight with my coffee! Until next time!

Jill said...

With that kind of snack going for you, I'm surprised you only have two pounds to lose!

Mary said...

Biscotti: yum! My husband thinks I'm strange because I will heat up my creamer before I add it to coffee...it doesn't make the coffee cool when I do that!
Thanks for the great questions!

Joyce said...

Yesterday the internet just would not cooperate...I still don't get yesterday's post (yours) showing up on my feed. Today's is there...

I've never met a pizza I didn't like so I'm sure I'd like Pizza King!

Dawn said...

Starbucks! Yay! Starbucks is a heaven, and I almost died when my foster brother asked "Do they sell donuts there?".

I love your answer for number # 5, my mom hasn't bought biscotti in a long time :( but it is amazing in coffee! I actually just started my coffee to get me through at least half the day.

Okay, so this is when I'm ualified young, since I've never head of Grace Kelly, but I do like her sunglasses. . .They look really pretty, and Jane Austen movie gowns are amazing!

I love your answers Lid!

~Cae ♥

Jenny wren's nest said...

Pizza king was my first thought when I saw Q # 4
Jenny

sara said...

love, love Pizza King and miss it!!!

Mocha with Linda said...

Can I come to your house tonight for decaf and biscotti?!

Faith "is trust, not certainty." Wow. Love that.

Bud Weiser, WTIT said...

Two pounds? Are you serious? It must really be great to be that close to your ideal weight. I wish I were. Thanks for explaining that it was Mr. Linky that deleted my first link and changed my second to an "X". That, plus the lack of a reply to an email explains a lot...

Susanne said...

So now I'm curious, what about that pizza is an aquired taste?

My kids love the Starbuck's and eating out too.

Lisa Laree said...

Pizza King!!! REALLY???

All I can say to that is that the franchises in your part of Hoosierland must be run by a whole 'nother set of folks than those in Hendricks/Boone county in the '70's.

Only pizza I actually Could.Not.Eat. as a teenager.

But to each his own...

Love that quote, btw!!!

SusanD said...

Grace Kelly shades! They are awesome! I'm going to be hunting for that biscotti. On 2nd thought, maybe that's not such a good idea. lol. Love the quote. Thanks for the great questions and for keeping this going each week. Blessings, SusanD

Melli said...

I am sO glad to find another adult that has the same car syndrome that I have! I would have SWORN my car would NEVER be messy again! ugh...

I'm so sorry I didn't know about Pizza King when I was IN Indiana last year! I LIKE to try local favorites! Even if I DON'T end up liking them! At least then I know!

Oh! Biscotti and coffee! I'm so glad I've gotten OVER that one! That IS a very dangerous addiction!

My kids DO like all those things! Yes ... as a matter of fact, ME taking them all out to eat together is actually a favorite activity! For all of us! :)

Debbie @Like a Rose said...

I picked Pizza King as a favorite too. We have to have it every time my niece comes home from Florida. We also have it often when my sister comes from Kokomo. I do not think all Pizza King is created equal - thus explaining Lisa's comment.

Just Breathe said...

Love your answers. Of course when I am answering my questions I don't have a few days to think of my answers. Since I grew up in Chicago and adore the pizza I would love to try Pizza King!
We have cut grass all year long so usually Easter feels like Spring to me. Thank you again for being the host, I love Random Dozen.

Catherine said...

Ooh, the gowns from the Jane Austen flicks -- love'em! Makes me think of something else I'd like to have: the green velvet dress Rosemary Clooney wore in White Christmas (designed by Edith Head!).

Kim said...

After this week's RD I am SOOOOO craving some American style pizza! Am going to have to put that on the menu to make myself. I can't get the crust as thin as I'd like but at least I can do toppings the "right" way. :-)

LOOOOOVE Carol Burnett skits and didn't realize they were online. Am going to have to go watch some now! Could use a laugh or eleven. It's been a rough week and a little comedic escapism is just what the doctor would order.

You'd think with the heavy Italian influence here, there'd be scads of biscotti but it ain't so. Again, must put on my menu!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I love Flannery O'Connor. The southern gothic fascinates me. I also feel your pain about the biscotti. Your answers were funny, thought provoking, and I enjoyed seeing inside your world a bit more.

Jenny said...

We have a Pizza King in our area, it is a hole in the wall place, but has the best pizza.

That Biscotti looks good, but I am trying to rid myself of my muffin top, so I will have to look away from that yummy goodness now ;)

auburnchick said...

If the biscotti falls in, don't you get to grab another from the box and try again?

Of course, that would probably double the # of pounds you're trying lose...but I'm just saying...all's fair in love and cookies.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Auburnchick: YES

thecoolmom said...

I just found your blog and loved reading your random answers. I'm a bit random myself so I'll be joining in this week. Looks like fun!