Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Someone Tell Me Why I Didn't Name This Meme "Random Half-Dozen"



1. What was the last thing about which you procrastinated?

What a coincidence--I am in the middle of a procrastination right now. I'm supposed to be calling someone from church to interview him for the "volunteer of the month" spotlight on our church website. I'll call him! I'll call him! Geesh!

2. How long does it take you to fall asleep, and do you sleep through the night?

Oh, heavens. There is a routine you would have to see to believe, and even though Jorge views it nightly, he still stares in disbelief. I will condense it to this: I need the TV on a show that is not emotionally stimulating in any way. No Nancy Grace talking about missing children. No drug interventions. No CSI's and the like. I need sports that I don't understand, or QVC, etc. Then I have to have the air purifier on high, which has about the same roar as a vacuum. I have to have the back scratcher handy, the Kleenex handy, the Burt's Bees on the lips, the lotion on the heels, certain covers .... then I fall asleep. But I do not fall unless all conditions are right. I'm like a hothouse orchid. Don't get me started about hot flashes at night. I rarely sleep through. I go to the bathroom and then chastise myself for waking up and command myself to go back to sleep. It usually works.

3. Which decade would you choose to exemplify your favorite fashion styles?

I do love the 40's: shoulder pads, nylons, coiffed hair, hats, high heels, etc. BUT I also love the 70s: jeans, faded shirts, soft billowy hair, flip-flops, and Brooke Shields' eyebrows. Realistically, I'd pick the 70s, but I love to look at the styles in 40s films.

4. What is your personal best dish to feed a crowd?

This is a trick question. I. need. help. Sometimes, about every other month, Jorge's men's group meets at our home, and I have to prepare a meal and then leave. So the leaving part makes it a little more challenging than if I were there to serve it, you know? So ... I'll be reading you to see what you say! Cheating, I know!

5. Are you an impulse shopper? What was the last thing you bought on impulse?

I went to Target for medicine at the pharmacy. Didn't have my insurance card, so I turned around, bought a chaise lawn chair and some beach wear. Results were actually much better than what the meds do for me.

6. What is one wish you have for your own funeral?

CLOSED casket, maybe cremation. But if you come to my funeral and the lid is up, you have my permission to RUN up the aisle and slam it shut and sit on it so that no one can pry it back open. "Lid doesn't want to be remembered without a lid!"

7. If it's true that joy is in found in the simple things in life, what does your joy look like today?

Sunshine. And a certain lawn chair.

8. What is your favorite type of bread?

Not that picky. I like most dinner rolls (soft).

9. What trait do you fear developing the most? (Laziness, greediness, grumpiness, etc.)

Apathy about fitness.

10. What trait would you like most to develop?

Service to others. Better memory, too.

11. Which room in your house best reflects your personality? Why?

The way the light comes in the front of my house, I'd say that front room, but it's not decorated to suit me. So I guess I'd say my bedroom, although I'm tired of the decoration. But I SO love my bed.

12. How do you maintain balance in your life regarding, work, family, church, other organizations and activities, and blogging?

I have learned that I can't be perfectly balanced. Something has to give. The goal is finding peace in what I choose to let go that day. In the last couple of years, I have let go of the notion of a perfectly clean, kept house. That is HUGE for me. Also, I'm letting go of some things to spend quality time with friends each Wed night and quality time with parents. I'm learning; I'm learning. My prayer is for God to give me wisdom about this.

32 comments:

Edie said...

LOL! You know I never thought about #6 before. When someone I'm close to dies, I want the funeral to have an open casket but I have to agree with you about my own funeral. After all, who wants everyone critiquing how you look at your own funeral? And that is what happens.

Cathy said...

You and I have some of the same answers, but I promise I wrote my answers before I read yours. So really I didn't copy. I really like your #12 answer.

Gina said...

Wow, what a bedtime routine! I'm tired just reading it! lol

Teresa Dawn said...

Enjoyed this as usual... and if you ever want help coming up with questions let me know, I LOVE making up questions for these kind of things, used to do it all the time.

Pat said...

I'm here! :-)

auburnchick said...

Aack...I picked the 40's for my favorite decade of style, but I forgot that the ladies wore pantyhose back then.

:::Throwing up now, for that's how much I despise those thing:::

Your bedtime routine sounds a lot like my daughter's. For years, she claimed she was taking her dehumidifier to college with her. She's become reliant on the humming noise to drown out creepy night noises. However, upon visiting the college and seeing the actual size of the dorms, she has changed her mind. The girl is going to be lucky to get a half-night's sleep the first few months. I will be praying for an easy adjustment!

Oh, and you didn't include your biscotti and latte in your nightly ritual. Aren't those supposed to trigger some sort of satisfied snore type of reaction?

Thanks for the great questions!!

Barbie said...

Oh Lid, how you make me laugh! Your night time routine had me howling. I didn't even mention my hot flashes. Between that and the potty, I am surprised I sleep at all. You're a hoot!

Just Breathe said...

Sounds a little like OCD when you go to bed but if it works for you then that is wonderful. I agree with you on the closed casket.
No one will ever see me!
So I will be back later to link up.
Thank you again for doing this each week.

Nel said...

You are too funny! I love the permission to run up the aisle and close the casket. Couldn't you just see it...lol. And your answer to your sleeping. At least orchids are pretty! There was a hothouse close to where I grew up that actually grew Orchids. They were beautiful! Just saying...
lol Enjoyed your answers!

until next time... nel

Joyce said...

I laugh at the nighttime routine...do you have a crazy tooth brushing routine now too? I feel like every time I see my dentist they add something to the dental care so that it now takes me 20 minutes just to clean my teeth before bed.

Beverlydru said...

I'm so lazy... I enjoy reading and commenting on these and have only participated once. Talk about procrastination...

Mocha with Linda said...

You are so funny. I was thinking about you just yesterday when I was trying to scratch my back. Gotta get me a paint stirrer!

And I almost said closed casket for the funeral one. I want it closed during the funeral. I don't care if people look at me before or after. But when I was a kid they used to leave them open all through the funeral and it was kinda spooky.

Although not as bad as the one I read on my skoots1mom's Flashback Friday when we did the grief one - about the corpse popping up. Definitely should have closed that one!

Dogmom Diva said...

Hi Linda, Happy Wednesday, I feel the same way, i give permission to my 'girls' to run up and slam it down..

Hot flashes, ah...BOO! I know when mine first started it was dreadful...I am doing ok now due to age and hormones but its pretty icky..

Jewel said...

Wow! Now that IS a bedtime routine! I have one but it is VERY minimal.
No open casket? But your family and friends will want to see you one last time! Okay, okay, I promise to slap the lid shut, if you insist. What are friends for anyway? *grin*
AND finally....I can't believe you came up with these questions at the last minute! You are just amazing, Linda! I've thought of sending you some questions to include in the random dozen but just haven't. I know, I know.....just do it! :-)

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Mine's up!

I have a CD of ocean waves that I play sometimes when I am having sleep issues. It is wonderfully soothing. I heard Dr. Oz on the radio the other day, he advised turning the TV off 30 minutes before bedtime and reading or listeing to something soothing.

Blessings
R

barbarah said...

The 40s are my favorite fashion era, but I don't know that I'd really like to dress that way every day.

That's quite a bedtime routine!

LOL @ #6!

I didn't think about rolls and such for #8, but I do love yeast rolls.

I think #12 is a constant state of adjustment for most of us.

edshunnybunny said...

Hey Lid, I'm with you on finding something totally unstimulating on tv to bore us to sleep. Piano and guitar music usually works for me...I agree about closing the casket lid, too. I prefer to be cremated--then there's no temptation to peek!

Shannon said...

I so love answering these!!! I'm just mad that I was a day late. :( Sniff sniff!

Jerralea said...

I enjoyed reading about your bedtime routine. How smart of you to be prepared by having a back scratcher! I'm totally going to copy that ...

Beth said...

You are such a funny lady! :) Your bedtime routine sounds like quite the ritual. I forgot to mention on mine that the air has to be moving (fan ... loud fan) even if I have to burrow under piles of blankets to stay warm! :)

Betty said...

We answered Nr. 6 the same, but yours was so much funnier! Closed casket for sure!

Sara @ Embracing Destiny said...

I'm still laughing about calling it the Random Half-Dozen!

These are fun! Thanks for hosting it.

Pat said...

I think you and I have a similar night time routine. Exhausting isn't it? :-)

xoxo
Pat

Susan said...

I love your answer about balance, Linda! I needed to hear it.

I thought about you when I drove past the "Muncie sign" on my way out of "Vera Town" the other day.

Hugs,

Susan

Nf1andprek-whisper said...

this is the first time I have met you or your meme nice to meet you, love the colored donut button. I answered the questions on my blog and am your newest follower, I had a few highlighting trouble but I hope you can read it. The funeral question was a doosie, but thanks it was fun.

skoots1mom said...

your questions set me on fire...i wrote a book.
...
and...who's to say you can't make it HALF dozen if you want to...it's your meme :)

Susanne said...

Your bedtime routine is quite interesting. And involved. LOL. Me? I brush my teeth, go to the bathroom and go to sleep. LOL.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

I will close that lid and stand post if you will make sure my husband sends thank you notes for all the funeral food. Whichever one of us doesn't go first... :>)

Connie said...

Great Random Dozen! I really need to think on some of the questions - they were quite thought provoking!

Thanks for posting! Next time, I'll try to be sure to do mine on the right day!

S said...

So:
Favorites...
1) I am procrastinating RIGHT NOW!
2) A glass of wine at bedside,and my novel. Zzzz
3) Rigatoni al forno (on my site!)
5) I returned a J. Crew shirt for my son today, and came home with, yes, a shirt for ME.
7) Today's joy -my first Iris.
8) I am afraid of bread....

chris weigand said...

Loved your answers.

Shawna said...

I am jealous of you because 1) I wish I loved my bed and 2) I wish I could learn to let go of something each day (rather than time stripping it from me). I just want it to be my choice.

shawna-mygirls.blogspot.com