Friday, June 11, 2010

Cousins




I have cousins on both sides of my family whom I dearly love.

One is my Pam, who was one of my first "friends" in life. Some of our best memories include camping together when we were little. Pam is 3 years older than I am, and miles and miles sweeter. I was a mean, ornery little thing, and sometimes I'm embarrassed by how good she was and how bad I was. As a matter of fact, sometimes I'm embarrassed for that same reason right now. Here is a pic of us camping. We liked to color, pretend to be Indians (Native Americans, sorry) and melt crayons in the campfire. If you don't believe me about the orneriness, look at her face, then look at mine. {Blushes. "oy."}



On my mom's side, I have three female cousins whom I love dearly, as well. One is a little younger, named Sonia, a sweet little blonde who resembles me physically, but unlike me and like Pam, does not have a mean bone in her body. I inherited all the mean bones. No pics of Soni, or maybe my mom has them. Note to self: steal pics of Sonia at next visit.

I have a set of cousins on Mom's side who grew up in Anaheim. Beckie and Kathy are about 5 or 6 six years older than I am. Although I only saw them every 3 or 4 years when I was little, I wrote to them all the time, and because they were so kind to me, I worshiped the So Cal ground they walked on and wanted to be just like them. Or BE THEM, which would have been way better. They were gorgeous teenagers, like Malibu Barbies. I wish I had older pics to share. Like I said, I keep robbing my mom of pics every time I visit her, so I have to do it slowly and surreptitiously or she will catch on. See? Still ornery after all these years.



Thanks, Co-Lid, for the memory-jarring!

7 comments:

Pamela said...

Thanks for the nice compliments, cuz. We did have lots of fun camping. I also remember playing with all your Barbie stuff on Sunday afternoons.

Now as far as the "mean" and "ornery", that is not what I remember. I remember our older siblings being onery...especially Donnie!

Best of all (for those of you reading the comments) is the love and prayer support that Linda has shown me during the near death of my son and now his uncontrolled epilepsy and Sjogren's Syndrome.
She is a great cousin. I don't get to see her very often, but feel her prayers all the time.

Mocha with Linda said...

Love your memories, you ornery thing! I left out the part about my ornery cousin.

Susan said...

I was moved to tears over Pam's comment! I was never very close to any of my cousins. My two older boy cousins were not nice as we were growing up, so I learned to keep them at arm's length, and all my girl cousins are younger than me by quite a few years and/or lived far away. You have a treasure in your relationships with your cousins!

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I have cousins like that. My brother died when I was 8...and Aunt Shirley's husband died that same year...she had four daughters...and we all became as close as sisters. We even fought like them growing up. I tell people I have four sisters. I am the oldest....and when my aunt died I was listed in her obituary as her special niece. She told me once that she really felt Terri (her oldest) and I were switched at birth...because Terri was more like my mom and I was more like her and the other three girls. Amanda, second of the girls...is my singing partner, best friend, confidant...and right now dealing with a husband who was diagnosed with leukemia on Tuesday. I love it when other people have family like mine...most people don't have relationships like this.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Awwwweeee, I had a cousin just like yours growing up. We were the best of friends. I was always the little snot and she was always the innocent bystander. UGH!! I probably just need to message her on FB and apologize.. Hee-hee! ;)

Lelia Chealey said...

Malibu Barbies! Too funny!I wish I lived closer to my cousins on my Dad's side of the family. They're the ones that are so cool and classy. I live close to the wacky ones (of course) and they're all from my Mom's side. Gotta love 'em though! :)

Rose said...

I've been happy to reconnect with my cousins recently. They ARE such a blessing