Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hump Day of SERVE

I'm in the middle of a busy, busy week, a community service blitz called "SERVE" that my employer/church does every year. Stats: 36 agencies such as the local mission, shelters for women, food banks, etc. + cleaning up blighted neighborhoods, helping the elderly with yard and reconstruction work, visiting nursing homes, etc. = SERVE. One hundred thirty-five youth grades 6-12, who spend the night all week long + many younger children + some "Wee Servers," + all of the adult leaders = ONE GIANT operation.

People are exhausted, but it's a good kind of tired. Trying to show love in a tangible way in our community.

So here are some pics.

I had a great pic inserted here of the young puppet team preparing to share at a nursing home, but then I remembered privacy issues and took them out of this post, dog gone it! So cute!

This is Command Central, where the 13 youth teams come get their work gloves, water, car washing supplies, etc. for the day. This is my main responsibility this year.



This is Kristin and me with two of Kristin's closest friends. One is on the media team; one is on her team which is doing hard manual labor.



Here I am with two co-workers, Hope (youth associate pastor) and Christy (Children's Pastor). Both are on the planing committee for this behemoth of a project which takes months to organize.




Here is one pic from an annual Wednesday night hog roast we do, where kids play and relax and rest, if they want. There is great food, of course, and lots of Indiana land to run and slide on a giant slip-n-slide, or dance the Cha Cha Slide or play Frisbee golf, volleyball, etc. Then they worship and share thoughts/feelings about the week so far.



Here is my girl, the one with the legs across the divide, catching about a 10-15 minute nap with teammates yesterday around 2pm in a busy building just across from Command Central. I told you they were exhausted!

16 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

That is so cool. There's a benefit to mission trips, but there's also plenty to do in one's own community!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Yeah, we do a ton of those, too, so we try to balance it out.

Rachel @ Future Pastor's Wife said...

Linda, I think this is AMAZING! There is such a lack of community service in churches today. It seems like churches are neglecting to take care of the very people around them. So I think this is absolutely wonderful. When I get healed and can actually go back to church, I'm going to suggest something like this to my pastor. We only have about 100 people, but we can still make a difference and help our community. I might be emailing you for advice! :)

Susanne said...

The picture of the sleeping threesome made me laugh. Youth can sleep anywhere in any position. Wish I could do the same.

Such a great project you guys do. I especially like how you help the elderly in your community with the yard and clean up work. That is soooo awesome!

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

And I agree with Linda! So many to serve right here in our hometowns, as well as overseas.

Gayle @ thewestiecrew said...

Sounds exhausting, but what a great ministry!!

lailani said...

This sounds amazing! You have left me here trying to think if there is an event that pulls all the misssion fields together here, at one time...I don't think so. What an impact on the community!

Amy said...

That must make you feel so overwhelmed with accomplishment and thankfulness. Congrats!!

skoots1mom said...

our kids started their assistance project last night...so today they've been fighting the heat while repairing, cleaning out and painting....such a good way to help the community!

Asia said...

I have been following your blog, havent left too many comments....But I love your blog and love this post, great what you are doing

Lea said...

Oh, wow! this brought back so many memories of when our kids were youth. Sounds like you have been meeting yourself coming and going. Can't wait for Random Dozen to "kick back off." Blessings to you!

Finding my Faith, Purple Rain, and Talking Cows. said...

Everyone LOVES Serve!!!! This year was the best of all of them! :)

2Thinks said...

This project is a winner!

Brenda Susan said...

wonderful event! That kind of tiredness is pretty mice isn't it?

Bethany, aka 40winkzzz said...

i had to go back a whole MONTH to find this! (and yeah, i know, it doesn't even appear that i read your blog anymore, but i do. it's just that i usually read on my reader and then comment in my head-- which i realize doesn't really do a lot for you.)

anyway, i wanted to look at this again bc my 14-y/o will be doing a similar thing with our church in a couple weeks-- although it's not nearly of this magnitude. while you have 13 youth teams working, we don't even have 13 youths! but at least this year a few boys signed up; last year --the inaugural year-- it was all girls. my son is the 2nd-youngest kid, the only incoming freshman, and the youngest boy by 2 years. i think he is just now starting to realize that it really is not going to be a party-- the kids are going to eat & sleep like they're in a 3rd-world country (minus cockroaches and dirt floors :-) and work hard at things they might be uncomfortable doing. it'll be interesting to see how well he likes it and whether he grows from it.

Bethany, aka 40winkzzz said...

oh, and the youth leader in charge of this event (and of everything else the youth at our church do) is the aunt of one of your other facebook friends, whose name escapes me. i know this bc your friend noticed that i happened to comment on both your fb and that of her aunt in michigan. small world.