Saturday, November 24, 2007

Have you Heard of "FreeRice.com?"

Attention all compassionate nerds: Increase your already robust and burgeoning vocabulary while helping to feed the hungry. Advertisers pay for the site, and as you play, you earn grains of rice to be donated. Since FreeRice went live on October 7, web users have donated over two-and-a-half billion grains of rice – enough to feed more than 125,000 people.

FreeRice.com is the sister site of Poverty.com. If you have questions/cocnerns about where the rice goes and who distributes it, etc., I encourage you to go check it out for yourself.

The fun part (from the site): FreeRice automatically adjusts to your level of vocabulary. It starts by giving you words at different levels of difficulty and then, based on how you do, assigns you an approximate starting level. You then determine a more exact level for yourself as you play. When you get a word wrong, you go to an easier level. When you get three words in a row right, you go to a harder level. This one-to-three ratio is best for keeping you at the “outer fringe” of your vocabulary, where learning can take place.

There are 50 levels in all, but it is rare for people to get above level 48.


Oh man. It's addicting! I'm not sure how long this site will last, so don't wait to play!

10 comments:

Patriot said...

Hi! Just came across your blog today, and I wanted to let you know about a new giveaway I'm hosting this week! Come check it out! Thanks! Have a good weekend!

Johanna said...

Bless your heart, man ,for putting this on here, I hadn't heard of it before, but my competitively Jeopardy watching and Scrabble playing family are going to LOVE this!(And I just might beat the crap out of them at this one!!!!!!!!!!)

Susanne said...

I've never heard of this before either, but you're right. It's totally addictive. But now I can say I'm spending hours on the computer for a good cause, right?

Susan said...

I've seen this on a few blogs and now I'm off to play. If I'm not "seen" over the next few days...chances are that's where I'll be.

:-) Susan

Tammy said...

I just saw this over at Groovy's I think...I really need to check this out!

And I wanted to say that I was just catching up with you...your Thanksgiving hosting stories...oh, goodness, I didn't know if I should laugh or cry! Especially the part where your grandma in law fell!!!
But I just hosted 25, girlfriend...but lest you be impressed, I'll tell you that I didn't have to cook one morsel of food. No, I did not. Everybody brought food, including my BIL who faithfully brings and cooks the turkey each year. My stress was just cleaning, cleaning and more cleaning...I was exhausted, so I don't know how anyone does it when they have to both clean AND cook!

I also loved seeing your children's pictures, then and now...what a beautiful family you have, Linda!
And that picture of you- you honestly look absolutely stunning!

Glad you survived Thanksgiving- it looks like you all had such a great time after all!

Laura said...

I just played after seeing your recommendation. Wow - that's fun! :)

Debbie said...

That is fun! Thanks, one more thing to become compulsive about !?! :)

Lois E. Lane said...

Two birds with one stone...except birds aren't supposed to eat rice :)

kasper794 said...

I did that link on another blog it's really great. I just happen to come across your site and I absolutly love it. God Bless:)

Merrie said...

This is HORRIBLE! I have gotten hooked and it's not a good thing. I can't work, eat, cook, clean or decorate... forget gifts this year, I'm giving RICE!