Monday, February 25, 2008

Review

Recently I was offered an opportunity to a review a new CD, a first for me.

Skinny Songs, comprised of fun, radio-esque, motivational tunes, is meant to be a brand new shiny tool in any woman’s weight loss kit.

The lyrics to Skinny Songs were written by Heidi Roizen, a 49 year-old Silicon Valley entrepreneur who collaborated with musicians to develop 10 songs designed to fire up the listener and keep her motivated:

  • Skinny Jeans
  • Thin!
  • I’m a Hottie Now
  • Use it to Lose It
  • The Incredible Shrinking Woman
  • Think I’ll Go to Saks
  • You Da Boss
  • Objects in the Mirror
  • Who the H*ll is That?
  • Blowin’ You Off at 8


The songs have a pop/country sound, featuring many lead vocals by Tania Hancheroff, whose voice is similar to those on television commercials, clear and precise.

Musical appreciation is subjective, and I've been asked to offer my opinion: While the musical stylings on the CD are not my particular taste, I know there are women out there who would like this CD. How do I know? Because I spent 3 1/2 years as a meeting leader for Weight Watchers, and I know that successful motivation is as varied as all the hues in the box of 64 Crayolas. I like orchid; you like red. Both are valid colors and duly appreciated by different artists.

Here's a great example of how differently people are motivated: When I was losing my 35 lbs, if someone had made a negative comment about my situation, I would have been emotionally deflated. However, more than once in my meetings, members shared that what motivated them was their own doctor saying something like this to them, "You'll never lose those 50 lbs." Unbelievably to me, this challenge motivated the member to prove that doctor wrong! I could go on and on giving examples of how a tool works well for one and is ineffective for another.

That said, if you'd like to hear a sampling of Skinny Songs and read the lyrics, go here.

If you'd like to have your name put in a drawing to win this sample CD (which I have obviously opened to listen to) let me know in a comment.

And remember what the great lyrical trio of the 1980s [quick Google search: "who wrote the theme song to Diff'rent Strokes?"] Alan Thicke, Gloria Loring and Al Burton once taught us:

Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
What might be right for you, may not be right for some.


For all I know, Skinny Songs might move the world.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Willis.

12 comments:

BeverlyDru said...

I could do pop/country and skinny.
Count me in!

Melanie said...

Is there a song that says,"Put the cookie down?"

That's what I need.

Kelli said...

What a great idea! Count me in :)

Ruthie said...

Yes, please! I need all the motivation I can get.

Seized by Hope said...

Ugh. No, I don't think "skinny songs" would serve to motivate me. Having my weight affect the music I'm listening to would just be too depressing...I think it would leave me feeling that I am really am defined by my appearance.

So, no cd for me.

I do agree though that different people are motivated and encouraged by different things. Good think we still have the freedom to choose!

Teresa said...

Sure... I'll workout to some country/pop motivation!

rmpl said...

I've lost over 100 pounds. I still have that last 15 before I hit my goal weight. Maybe this would be that last push I need.

Miscellaneous From Missy said...

Hey, count me in. That "sounds" hilarious!

samurai said...

Sounds like running cadence for civilians. ;-)

Is there something out there for us guys who like aerobic like workouts?

Miscellaneous From Missy said...

Hey, count me in. That "sounds" hilarious!

Tammy said...

"...a man is born...he's a man of means. Along comes two...they got 'nuthin' but the jeans....

cuz it takes different strokes, it takes different strokes...it takes different strokes to move the world."

From one child of the 70's to another! :D

Denise said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh got to have that... I have 62 lbs to loose........... and I love to dance................