Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Box Man

At 7:30 yesterday morning, my son Jordan who is on summer break from college started working at a local ticket manufacturing company. That is, they make tickets, as in raffle tickets, game tickets, ride tickets, redemption tickets, etc. I think this factory is the ticket-making capitol of the world. It's all they do--make tickets.

It was his first day, and somehow (jumbled communication) we thought he was supposed to take paper and pen to take notes during training. We asked him if he had those before he went out the door, and he said, "Yeah." Moms, the boy had a pad of Post-Its in his pocket and a pencil. Turns out he didn't need to take a single note--they just put him to work.

He called me on his lunch break while I was at work (I could have fallen out of my chair) to tell me how his day was going. He was uncharacteristically talkative.

I said, “Wow, That sounds great. So what exactly are you doing?”

He said, “I’m moving boxes, lifting boxes, organizing boxes, rearranging boxes and … moving boxes. Yeah, I'm basically moving boxes.”

I said, “Oh, I see. Are they heavy?”

He replied, “About 25-30 lbs. I think this is what I’m going to be doing all day long for the entire summer: rearranging boxes, moving boxes and ... moving boxes. That’s OK for a couple of months, but I wouldn’t want to do it the rest of my life.”

Cue the Hallelujah Chorus.

I said very nonchalantly, “Yeah, I guess that’s why college is so important.”

And he said, “Yes. It. Is.”

Thank you, ticket factory. Thank you, Lord.

My son may not know exactly what career path he wants to take yet, but I’m just so glad he is clear on not wanting to be a professional box mover when he grows up. I mean, I just can’t see myself saying at social gatherings saying, “Oh, you remember my son--the professional box mover. He has biceps like tree trunks and a broken back, but, hey, that’s why they pay him the big bucks!”

18 comments:

Darnelle said...

LOVE IT!!!
My son is a college junior. Just THINKING about the daycare (yes) he used to work at sends him RUNNING back to school every semester. God is funny.

40winkzzz said...

Smart kid. My own resident college dude changed his mind about "taking a semester off" (parentally translated as "dropping out, throwing away the scholarships, and never getting around to going back") when his boss at Pizza Hut offered him a full-time assistant manager position. Kinda brought home the point that if he didn't stay in school, he might be staying at Pizza Hut, like, permanently. It worked better than all the parental advice in the world.

sara said...

I had a similar conversation with my 16 year old son last year after he worked at a carwash all summer in 100+ degree weather!!! got to love those summer jobs!!!

Susanne said...

I wish I would have had a box moving moment when I was his age.

R.L.Scovens said...

Good for him!LOL School is SO important!

SJ said...

Wooo Hoooo! Gotta love those summer jobs that shine with reality.

samurai said...

Isn't wonderful when the light goes on. :)

I moved boxes when I was out of H.S. ... a lot of boxes. I am glad he is seeing the wisdom of education and the knowledge his mother shared with him.

Queen B said...

That is great! I love that he figured it out on his own...it takes some people years (if ever) to catch on!

Cyndy said...

I think God gives us all those kind of jobs to motivate us to the place He wants us to be. For me it was being a car-hop at an A&W Drive-In!
In the meantime...your son will be in great shape be the Fall! :D

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Great lesson for him to figure out on his own without momma preaching college. I think it is so wonderful when young ones realize on their own, through such experiences as your son's, just how important college is. Sadly, a lot of young folks miss that. My step daughter always knew she would attend college...making those big buck drove her to it. She's completed one year (I presume).
Paula

Lysa TerKeurst said...

I just spent time catching up on your blogs and oh my stars I seriously almost wet my pants.

Three things:

1. I'd son your has a winning ticket with his job. Sorry I couldn't resist.

2. Lady who pooted at the library??? You have got to be kidding me. I can't... laughing... rolling...running to the potty....you get the picture.

3. The whole you are cooler on your blog than in person??? Hello??? The issue was hers sister!!!!!

Can't wait to meet you. I'll totally think you are cool. After all you voted for David Cook. I mean how much cooler can you be than that. Unless of course you have a son that works at a ticket factory. In which case you are off the charts cool!!!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Ok, can I stand next to you when you meet Lysa?? I will be in your entourage. One of your peeps.

It's all about who you know, you know...

Vicki said...

Linda ... you make me laugh out loud every time!

annie's eyes said...

Your son got it. What we all hope for before a mortgage and a couple of kids has them wishing they'd made a couple of different life decisions! He is a cutie and sounds like he's getting there just fine! I had a couple of jobs like that myself filling ketchup bottles at A & W, where I lasted a whopping three months. God is good to teach life lessons along the way.

Jen said...

Maybe he could think about marrying one of my daughters. You know, when you become a parent you really start to think there may be something to that arranged marriage thing . . .

Ann said...

You know, my Emily is about 25-30 pounds heavy, and I carry her around all day long, why aren't I as buff as Jordan?? Not fair.

I love it when you write about your kids, because even though I don't want mine to grow up anytime soon, I'm still excited to see what mine will be like when they reach your kids' ages :)

Linda said...

Ann, that is exactly what I hope for--that you all wiht younger ones can see a facsimile of your family someday. I joke about my teenagers all the time, but they are really great kids.

PJ said...

Where, oh, where have I been this past week??? Oh, I know. Locked in a room with 30 14-year olds who don't want to be there any more than I do!!! Only one more week of the torture for all of us...then it's the parents' turn!!! Yah!

I soooooo missed your humor!!! I'm sitting here laughing with tears rolling down my face. Professional Box-mover! (But he is really cute and BUFF!!)