Sunday, September 14, 2008

What Would it Take For You To Renounce Your Faith in Christ?Review: "Forsaken" by James David Jordan



What would it take for you to renounce your faith in Christ?

Stop reading for 30 seconds and imagine different situations that might require that decision.

-Would you be willing to become a walking affliction like Job, losing everything near and dear to you before rejecting your Savior?
-Would you take the end of a spear rather than deny Christ?

Or how about this scenario: You are an internationally known preacher of the Gospel, and a group of religious zealots has kidnapped your daughter, demanding that you publicly reject Christ as ransom for your child’s life. What would you do?

It’s almost unbearable to think about. Unbearable, but not unrealistic.

Remember Ephesians 6:13?

Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Suppose you were at first strong enough to resist compromise. Would you then be able to stand your ground when faced with irrefutable proof that your child has already been physically harmed and her very life hangs on your decision--could you still stand?

James David Jordan’s Forsaken explores this pivotal moment in the life of Simon Mason, the world’s best-known televangelist, whose daughter has been taken by Muslim extremists. Mason must face the most difficult decision of his life, whether to renounce his relationship with Christ and disappoint all those whom he has led to Christ in exchange for his daughter’s life, or to stand firm and trust in the sovereignty of God, even when he knows to do so is tantamount to passing a death sentence upon his beloved daughter.

Taylor Pasbury, a former Secret Service agent who now owns her own private security business, is enlisted by Simon Mason to protect him and his daughter from the terrorists. Taylor, living an unfulfilled, empty life as a result of a tragedy that the reader learns about in the first chapter, begins to find what she has been searching for in the context of Simon’s family and faith.

From Jordan’s website: Even as a high school kid, Taylor Pasbury knew that she was not like most other girls. Raised by a father who was retired special forces, she learned to camp and fish and shoot - and most of all to take care of herself. As an adult, after the abrupt termination of a controversial stint as the nation's most celebrated, and beautiful, Secret Service agent, she opens her own security agency. When Simon Mason, the world's best-known televangelist, hires her to protect him from terrorist threats, Taylor and Simon are tossed into a maelstrom of events that force them to decide what and whom they love most.

Forsaken’s most effective moments involve the gripping exploration of the situation every serious follower of Christ has imagined: martyrdom—in essence, “Would I have the strength to endure persecution unto death? And if I didn’t, would it be possible to find redemption?”

The novel is written clearly and moves at a fast pace. Forsaken addresses the age-old conflict of man versus man yet clearly illuminates the phenomenon of struggling “not against flesh and blood … but against the powers of this dark world and the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:12).

I admire Jordan’s Forsaken most for its unflinching look at an incomprehensible, desperate moment in a believer’s life and his coming to terms with the consequences of that decision.

Forsaken is set to be released October 1, 2008 and will available everywhere for $14.99. But you heard about it here first!

17 comments:

Rhonda said...

Forsaken sounds like it will be really good. I like to be challenged in my walk with God. I need to not allow myself to become too comfortable.

Gwendolyn said...

I will definitely read that one! I haven't had a good book in...days now! LOL

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

Wow...I'm not much into fiction, but I may have to pick this one up! Thanks for the review. I always enjoy reading your opinion about things.

Carol said...

Peter forsook Christ pretty easily. I do not fool myself into thinking I am stronger than he.

I am certainly prone to wander and leave the God I love.

If he doesn't keep me, I will surely fall.

I can do nothing in my own strength. I hope I wouldn't forsake Christ, but thank God it's not up to me or about what "I" do. It's about what Christ has already done.

Praise his Holy Name!!

Susanne said...

I've got this book coming! I'm thinking it's going to be a piece of fiction that very much challenges me in my walk with the Lord.

THE ROOST said...

Sounds like a great read! Except by the grace and power of God I could forsake Him at any time.....Praise God for the supernatural power to proclaim His name at all cost....

THE ROOST said...

Can't wait to get that one. Thanks for the tip :-)

Smilingsal said...

I would hope that I would stand strong in my faith.

Edie said...

I don't read much fiction but I have to admit this sounds like a good one. This question is one that we cannot truely know what our response would be until we were in the situation. I have wondered about such things and have prayed that God would keep me faithful to Him at all times and in all things.

Thanks for the review. Have a great week Linda.

Becky said...

That sounds like a great book. I will definitely pick up a copy.

Melissa the Careful Wisher said...

Can't wait to read this! Melissa

PJ said...

WOW!! Great review. I hope they're paying you. I must go get the book!!!

Edie said...

(off topic) Hi "Lidna" - After reading the comment you left me I have to tell you that I often mistype my name as Edit too. lol

I have come to realize that your espresso machine (sorry for calling it a coffee maker) waits for guests to arrive before pouring a cup. That is just so polite! lol - Can you tell that I'm intrigued by that thing? :D

aswewalk.com said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm going to have to head back over to check out more of your posts after I've showered, had my first cup of coffee, and started the children on their schoolwork. THEN I can pour myself a second cup of coffee and really enjoy.

sarah said...

Sounds great! I will definitely have to check out Forsaken when it comes out.

proudgrits11 said...

Yeah, um, I broke out in a cold sweat when I read this. I'm 6 weeks pregnant and my last pregnancy ended in a miscarriage, starting right after a dream about being persecuted/martyred (after a sermon on the same topic). It shook me to the core and I'm still sorting it out. I know the enemy likes to tease me about that issue, y'know? "Are you really so sure??"
I really want to solidify my...well, solidarity in Christ before picking up this book! :)
I agree with the one comment most--Jesus already did the job for us, regardless of how the story ends. That miscarriage started exactly this day in the last pregnancy--coincidence that I'm here right now??
Hmm.
I'm gonna go pray and read my Bible before going to bed now.
Wanna chat more and encourage me? :) tabandrew@hotmail.com
Thanks!!

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh, I am so getting this book.

You hit the nail on the head for me. I believe I could stand anything anyone could do to me or my body, but if it involved my daughter... I can only hope I'd be strong enough.

Of course, I'd have to draw on the strength from the One who's already gone through such a thing.