Friday, October 31, 2008

Weekend Post: Powerful People Whose Names Begin with "O," like "Obamaman!"

Ahh, the weekend post. Pictures are always good, right?

Monday, I'm back to recipes, and Tuesday, I'll probably stay in bed with my head under the covers. That means I only have Saturday and Sunday to vent, so ... look away, if you must.

For the like-minded, however, I offer a dozen famous/powerful people whose names begin with the apparently omnipotent letter "O," and please do not quit before the last suggestion or two of "O" power.

Augustus Octavius. Power: Commanded censuses (censi?). Had face on coinage, etc.


Orlando Bloom. Power: Hmm. Swashbuckling magnetism?


Tony Orlando. Two "Orlandos" for the price of one! Power: Cut a record-breaking single in the 70s that will memorialize his place in history next to that of Caesar Augustus Octavius. Far out!


Bill "Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity" O'Reilly. Power: Completely frustrates Joy Behar. And for this, I am grateful.


The love of my young life, Donny Osmond. Power: To make young girls (now 50 year-old girls) swoon.


Rosie O'Donnell. Very powerful. Made you wince just then, right? Now that's pow-ah. And is it my imagination, or is her mouth the exact same shape as Donald Trump's?


Oliver Wendell Douglas from Green Acres. Power: Enticed a Fifth-Avenue, Penthouse-abiding Hungarian Princess to move to Shedtown. Musta been some proposal, wink, wink.


Cousin Oliver from The Brady Bunch. Power: May have single-handedly brought down this 20th Century American TV show icon. Who cares. The Bradys have cried all the way to the bank and back again 50 million times.


Oscar the Grouch. Power: Commanded seat of authority over all humans on Sesame Street, especially that wimpy Bob.


Mrs. O'Leary's Cow. Power: Started the Chicago fire. Behold the power of ... beef.

Joel Osteen. Power: Smiles in the face of sharing life with a very scary wife. Power over a couple of other people every week, too.


Oceanic Flight 815 Survivors. Perhaps the most powerful group ever in the world in spite of being fictional characters.


Barack Obama. Power: Persuasion.

Faster than a speeding senator. More powerful than a loco personal-motive. Able to leap long campaigns in a single bound.

Look! Up in the sky!

It's a bird. It's a plane. It's Obamaman!

Yes, it's Obamaman - strange visitor from another planet who came to Earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men to organize communities.

Obamaman - who can change the course of oceans, bend rules about accepting public campaign funds with his bare hands, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild mannered senator for a great national congress, fights the never ending battle for redistribution of wealth, family meetings with dubious international leaders, and the Barackian Way.




But THE most powerful O is: Oprah Winfrey. Obamaman didn't just hitch his wagon to a star; he hitched it to Sirius!



Still skeert.

30 comments:

Chatty Kelly said...

You forgot Omarosa! From the apprentice. Be very skeert!

Smilingsal said...

I'm a bit skeert too.

Dena @ Green Acres said...

Ok, first you brought back one of my favorite O's I had forgotten about: Donny Osmond. He made me swoon (I just knew he wrote "Go Away Little Girl" for me)and I'm not 50...yet.

Oliver Douglas (aka: My husbands twin and partial reason for the name of my blog).

Rosie O - don't even get me started.

But Obamaman - that's going to give me nightmares.

Kelley said...

You forgot Quin's fav - Obie Wan Kenobie. The power of the force was with him! Great post! I needed to hear a little humor in the midst of all this serious political mess! I can always count on you....

Tammy said...

I think I like all the other O's except the last one....he's too scary for words.

Well, and cousin Oliver too....but that's a different dislike.

Mocha with Linda said...

OLid, you are Oh-so-funny!

You have the POWER to make me laugh every day!

Rachel said...

I'm skeert too. I'll be hiding under the covers as well on Tuesday.

Susanne said...

That was the best venting I have ever read. Vent away!

annie's eyes said...

O brother. I want to go back to bed today! I am oh so sick of the "O"bsession. You still have your groove. But I know I'll be glued to the tv on Tuesday just like you even though the covers will be over your head--see I know you better than you thought. Love, A

Susan said...

Oh my goodness, Linda, you are so very clever!! Have a great weekend.

:-) Susan

carol ~ i throw like a girl said...

Linda, I never cease to be impressed with your creativity. You turned a political post into something that not only made me smile, but very effectively got your point across. Well done! But, I'm skeert, too!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Linda, even your venting is funny. You are so talented, my friend.

And O'Reilly is the man.

skoots1mom said...

i think we should all turn off our tvs and radios on November 4...go to a movie, out to dinner, enjoy an early bedtime.
I definitely DO NOT want to be sitting in front of the tv watching, listening to the myriad opinions of soothsayers as they argue, ridicule, speculate, regurgitate the day's happenings...
:)
IT will be what it will be...just continue praying our nation wakes up and votes for our nation's sake...

Cyndy said...

O man.

and I'm skeert too.

The Bayou Belles and Their Beau said...

I'm just as skeert as you ... maybe even more if possible.

Very creative, missy miss.

Tammy said...

Skeert here, too....

Come over...read my post, Linda.

Esthermay said...

Other "O" words of interest:

OURANIOS def: [from the Greek]
celestial, i.e. blonging to or coming from the sky.
YES! Obamaman!

OCHLOPOIEO def: [from the Greek]
to make a crowd, i.e, raise a public disturbance: - gather a company or following.
YES! YES! Obamaman!

OPHIS def: [from the Greek] a snake (fig.) as a type of sly cunning; an artful malicious person, espec. Satan: - a serpent.
YES! YES! YES!!! OBAMAMAN!

... will my picture and e-mail be attached to this comment?

Debbie said...

I would gladly hand over all power and control of the world to Orlando Bloom if I could just look at him all day every day. Sigh. I really didn't get past that part of your post. Sorry. Going back to look at that photo again.

Jodi said...

You forgot Oscar Madison. LOL

I love the Oceanic 815 survivors!

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 said...

'O'h goodness--you are funny.
Now are you kidding about that last guy or are you drinking LOTS of the kool aid ;)

Hmmmm....Orlando...hmmm....can he be our next president--please :)

Laurie Ann said...

I think I just cracked a rib laughing! I forgot about Oliver and my first love, Donny Osmond. Oh wow! LOL on Osteen - come on, Lidna, discover the champion in you! (snort)

Becky said...

Hmmm... I'd rather have Orlando as an elf. Pirates just look like they stink ALL THE TIME! I sort of envision elves smelling like freshly rained on moss.

Anyway, thank you for your post. I am praying hard that we will not be living in an Obamanation. I may link to this post on Monday if its ok with you.

Chel's Leaving a Legacy said...

I truly do love you, Lidna.

Somebody needs to pick this article up and post it in the New York Times and Washington Post and Wall Street Journal and Newsweek and...

I'm skeert too.

And I think I'm gonna link to this post too, if that's okay. It's the perfect brew of humor and truth.

You're my hero!

Marina said...

ok didn't read your blog but why did you put our "Donny Osmound" there with all those people
( he was cute ") marina

Gwendolyn said...

How did I miss this post before? Google Reader must be playing tricks on me. Girl, you are a complete GENIUS! This is so good, I have to go read it again. :o)

Debbie said...

O brother! Only you could come up with something like this. Very funny. I'm with Chatty Kelly - the scary "O" winner is Omarosa.

You did forget Old McDonald - Power: To keep his farm regardless of the economy or who's in the White House.

Chel - An Abiding Branch said...

my my my my my, Linda you make my mind run faster than a speeding bullet! lol
I think I'll leave it to beaver....

The Beave: golly gee wally do you really think Obamaman can save us?

Wally: Gee I don't know Beave but Lumpy says he has a plan.

Beave: Wally, I just don't understand. Dad and I went to breakfast the other day and Dad told the waiter he was going to give his tip to some homeless man instead of to him. Dad said the young man did a fine job but it must be really hard holding up that sign on the street corner. Dad told the waiter he would show him the Obamaman's action plan. The waiter sure did not like watching Dad give his tip to someone else. Dad told him that was the plan in action, give away what you earn to those who do nothing to earn it. What do you think Lumpy would say about that?

Wally: Wow, Beave, I think Lumpy would cry if someone gave away the money he earned.

This lesson presented to you by the mind of one girl lost in TV Land.

Beverly said...

quite skeert!!

Beverly said...

I must say I preferred Orlando Bloom from Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, brain fart can't remember his name but see his dreaminess in my minds eye!

Chel - An Abiding Branch said...

Sorry to come back but I have to show the love of Pirates to Johnny Depp. I am in deep I tell you. I have watch most all of his movies and although quite weird he has an appeal I would, well, let's just say my hubby gives me a hard time when I watch Johnny! or Brendan Fraser or a U2 concert, or well I could go on but you get the idea. I bought my daughter a Pirates of the Carr. blanket and my hubby says it is mine b/c it has Johnny instead of Orlando. :-) it really is hers!! Go Mav!!!!!