Thursday, July 09, 2009

Euell Gibbons, Marlin Perkins, it's all the same

I've been reporting on Jorge's recent love affair with nature, especially birds. Remember the kids got him a feeder for Father's Day and such. Yeah. He really likes birds now.

Anyway, a robin built a nest at the corner of our house this spring, and now we're on our second batch of hatchlings.

So I said to Marlin, "If you like birds so much, why don't you climb up there and get a picture?"

His wheels spun for half a turn and the next thing I knew he was carrying out the step ladder and camera toward the nest.





He called me over to assist him: "Get over here, Joan Embery, and assist me."





So I held the step ladder, while he climbed the ladder, put one hand on my head and pushed off from my head to hoist himself up on a ledge from where he could shoot. It was like a really elegant ballet.

Then he took some pics, which I came in and looked at but was disappointed with because you couldn't see the rare "Robinus Backyardigan" babies.



So I adjusted the brightness.

WHOA BABY, UGLY NATURE ALERT! UGLY NATURE ALERT!



Oh my lands, some things, like newborn robins and my menopausal love handles, should be left in the dark! These things truly look like aliens. Only a mother robin could love them. Or Marlin Perkins.

17 comments:

Darla said...

now that is too funny, menopausal love handles should be left in the dark, true true true, and i would know. hehe. those are CUTE birds, in the dark of course!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Those eyes... I'll have nightmares about those eyes...

Kaye Butler said...

Why wasn't someone getting a picture of y'all's gracefullness?

My brothers and I used to line up in front of the TV with our big bowl of air popped pop corn, waiting for Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I bet it was the only time we were quiet, well, I guess we were quiet for Brady Bunch, Dukes of Hazard, Incredible Hulk, and Dallas. NO ONE was allowed to talk during Dallas, mom kept a belt by her chair just in case we looked like we were gonna talk.

Mrs. E said...

Baby birds are ugly! Only a mother could love them! You & your husband crack me up!

Susan D said...

My......what BIG eyes you have! hahaha Blessings, SusanD

Chatty Kelly said...

You & Jorge crack me up!!

Susanne said...

LOL. I'm wondering if a neighbor has a picture of your "ballet".

Mocha with Linda said...

Are those marbles on the side their eyes or goiters? Truly bizarre.

BTW, I laughed and thought of you when I sat down to dinner at my brother's last night - kebabs! (And yes, I told them how to spell it!)

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

All that comes to mind is "Feed me Seymour!" I know how much you adore musicals!

Blessings
Robin

Greg C said...

I can hear Marlin now; While Jorge is falling off his ladder, let me tell you about Mutual of Ohmaha, The company that pays. We don't always have a Linda to hold our ladder while we take alien photos so get some insurance, now!

skoots1mom said...

they are alien-like, aren't they?
what was mama doing while you were taking the pics...
i know around here the blue birds will dive bomb you if you even walk toward their nests.
i'm amazed she didn't make a bee-line for jorge, with a squawking 'may day' of imminent danger headed for his shiny spot! hee hee

Jenners said...

Oh Lord! Those things are creepy! If I didn't know what I was looking at, I would never have guessed those were baby birds! And I have to look forward to menopausal love handles? Oh Great...

Keetha Broyles said...

LOL!!!
Very well done, especially the "ugly nature alert."

Heather of the EO said...

I did something similar at my parent's house over the fourth of July. There was a nest with babies up a little high, so I just reached my camera up, stretching my arm and pointing blindly at the nest. Until the mama bird flew out of the nest and directly at my head.

Then I just screamed and ran, thinking of the movie "The Birds" and getting in the house as fast as I could.

Scary.

michele said...

OH MY! Ugly nature alert for sure... but at the same time incredible!

2Thinks said...

Is this the Mutual of Omaha guy? We used to watch that every week. And recently, a group of dinner club friends renamed our club Mutual of Omaha's Wild Women- long story, we're breaking out of our Applebees routine and going to a restaurant called Electric Cheetah.

Anyway. I loved that show.
Heidi

40winkzzz said...

i have a couple pics of baby robins actually hatching-- but you can't see too much b/c the nest was under our deck & the pic was taken thru the little gap between deck boards. what you (that is an editorial "you") *can* see is indeed pretty ugly, but in an almost-cute sort of way b/c they are, after all, baby robins. ugly or not, i posted it on fb today.

oh, and what heidi meant was that she *tried* to rename our dinner group "mutual of omaha's wild women". we never actually took a vote or anything and as far as i know, no one else is actually calling it that. i'm not sure any of actually "got" it. i didn't.