Monday, November 30, 2009

The Tale of the Thanksgiving Miracle of 2009











Recently I mentioned that my son, 20, now has a girlfriend. (His name is not actually "20" as it appears in this awkward sentence. It is Jordan. He is 20 years old.) I am very happy about this situation because she is a great girl. I keep trying to make a good impression on her, and yet, I fail.

But this is the tale of the Thanksgiving Miracle, so I'll move on from that unpleasant topic.

Interestingly, since the girlfriend, I've noticed that Jordan is more in touch with his nurturing side.

For instance, he and his girlfriend bought a fish together, a male Beta named "Barry," short for "Barracuda."

I asked him, "So, does this situation make this fish my 'grandfish'?"

Yes, apparently, it does.

I would have preferred to have a LEGITIMATE grandfish, but I have vowed to love this fish unconditionally.

So when he came home for Thanksgiving break Wednesday night, Jordan came in the door with laundry, Barry and a live plant in tow.

I'm having visions of diaper bags and car seats because everyone knows once you have a fish AND a plant, you're just a step or two away from a dog. And then everyone knows what happens after that: diaper bags, strollers and car seats. Oh wait a minute, that's just MY dog. Most people have a baby after the dog and then get the car seats, etc.

Anyway, Jordan brought Barry in a small container and proceeded to put him back into his regular bowl furnished stylishly by the girlfriend with snazzy black pearl foliage and sparkle rocks. Did I mention I like this girl?

As he did this, he told me all about how talented and brilliant Barry is. It seems that Barry has been following Girlfriend's finger up and down. He has also been anticipating his feeding. And he blows bubbles.

Not that I'm bragging, but have you seen my grandfish??

So Barry gets all situated in his bowl, and we put him in the family room. Jordan is on the computer, and I'm watching TV. Occasionally I glance at Barry and note how talented he is.

However, at one point, Barry looked ... sleepy.

I said, "Jordan, does the fish sleep a lot?"

He said, "Yes. He always does that."

I said, "OK. But does he kind of float like that when he sleeps?"

So Jordan goes to Barry and says, "Uh oh." He pokes him with his finger. Barry does not respond.

You can imagine what was going through my head: "The Girlfriend is never going to trust me or my household again!" In an instant, I considered the old sit-com switcheroo where you run out and buy a look-alike replacement and hope the owner is none the wiser.

People on Facebook offered helpful ideas such as: "Maybe he died of SFS, 'Shaken Fish Syndrome' from the car ride."

Jordan tried several times to revive Barry, mainly by poking him, but alack and alas, Barry appeared to have already crossed The Rainbow Bridge.

So my son, being the man of honor that he is, said, "Guess I'd better go make the bad news phone call."

I yelled after him, "Tell her it wasn't my fault! Tell her I didn't cause it!"

So he broke the news and walked away with the fish bowl.

The next day was Thanksgiving. Later in the day, I said, "So did you flush Barry?" Because I'm all sensitive and everything like that.

And he said, no, I put him in my room.

???

I'm not sure why he did this, unless he just needed "time" before the flushing ceremony. But he's 20, not 2.

Anyway, Jordan went to his room and returned with unbelievable good and joyous tidings: "Barry is alive!"

"What?" I say in disbelief. "But I saw you poke him and how he floated! He was, as Ebenezer Scrooge said about Bob Marley (wait, that was Jacob Marley) 'deader than a doornail!'"

Jordan said, "I know, but I just saw his fins moving. It's like he's hibernating or something."

And do you know that as the days have passed, that fish has rebounded. Not 100%, but he's returning to us.

Apparently, he still has work left to do here on Earth. And I get another chance to win over the Girlfriend.

And that is the story of the Thanksgiving Miracle of 2009.

How was your Thanksgiving?

33 comments:

Carmen said...

LOL...THAT is a GREAT fish story!!

Darla said...

oh my gosh! i love it! i wonder how many of us have flushed a hibernating fish now? hehe. next time i shall wait...in honor of Barry. my thanksgiving was..eh. no miracles like yours!

Quilldancer said...

Oh poor Barry probably had a serious case of chlorine poisoning. He can't be put into just any water. There is special water treatment for tropical fish. Visit your local pet shop and ask questions.

Margaret said...

Mine was good not that exciting but good

Debbie said...

I am (cough, cough) rejoicing with you in Barry's recovery from what must have been a temporary fish coma. Make sure that he is now getting rehabilatative swim therapy.

Gina said...

lol...beta fish can sometimes be delicate little things :)

mtnest423 said...

You give me hope! I have been mourning the coming demise of my own beta fish, Sid. (My son said I named him Sid Fishes after Sid Vicious but I promise I had never heard of Sid Vicious.) I have had him for 2 years and he seems to be sleeping a LOT.

I was rooting for the Texans yesterday - after all, I am a Texan - but I must confess that I admire Payton Manning.

Tabi said...

and just think if your son hadn't of wanted to take care of it you would have and it would be fish toilet soup by now...thank goodness for your responsible son! Hehehe thanks for the laugh!

skoots1mom said...

come see...
:)

so happy 4 Barry's miracle

Erica said...

I had a fish in college who did the same thing. Unfortunately, he didn't survive long after the incident. I had left him with my parents after Easter break since I knew I only had a few weeks left in school. One night I got a voicemail from my mom something like this, "Hi, Erica, it's Mom. I think your fish died. I'm really sorry.... Wait! He's alive! Oh, no. He's floating again. Well, I'll talk to you later."

Angela said...

LOL---You know I was going to comment on your FB page that sometimes Beta's appear dead...but then I thought that would mortify you if Barry had been flushed! I hope he rebounds! I once thought I had a dead hermit crab and realized that he had just molted...odd things these boxed and bowl pets do.

Susanne said...

LOL. Now that just makes me wonder how many fish I've flushed that were just playing possum. LOL. Glad you're still on the girlfriend's good side. LOL.

bensrib said...

Oh my word, this had me laughing right out loud (is that LROL?)! Too funny!

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Barry, Come forth!

They do stress with car rides. Sometimes they will turn white and then turn back to their normal color.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

PS- Use bottled water instead of treating the tap. We've had several betas live a long life using bottled water only.

sonja said...

Great story! Our ending was not this good. When we moved, I had put our fish into a green glass pitcher, and later when I poured out what was in the pitcher, the garbage disposal was already grinding as I realized what I had done. That was 30 years ago and my husband still loves to remind me!
So, for all of us...Go Barry!

Mocha with Linda said...

Sounds fishy to me!

We had a beta fish several years ago. "Free" from the school carnival. You wouldn't believe how much money was spent on that beta before it was over. Or the cotton lined box he's buried in out back.

Bekah said...

I am laughing so hard that I feel a few tears on my cheeks. Thanks for the Monday pick-me-up!

Amy said...

I love the fact that your son was not about to lie to his new girlfriend. I'm telling you see a persons true colors during times of trial and tribulations...or fish deaths. He is an honorable young man.

We did A Christmas Carol at my school last year and I kept calling him Bob Marley...that is a whole other story mahn!

Glad your brag book will be a little thicker!!

Amy

Brenda Susan said...

Ha! You've got me actualy LOL at this one! Glad he didn't flush the poor comatose guy. Could be out there with Nemo looking for his daddy by now!!

mtnest423 said...

PS - I had to write about the turkey adventure I experienced yesterday. It's on my sadly neglected blog.

Susan said...

Oh good grief, Linda! That's FUNNY! MY 21yo DS came home from college with five Christmas Tree seedlings. He's planning to "grow his own so he can decorate them someday and save money." Uh....OK!?!? Well, he left them here with strict instructions to get them out in the sun and water them until he comes back in a few weeks. WHAT do they do to our sons at college????

Our weekend was GREAT.

:-)

2cats said...

I have to tell you that my Thanksgiving was nothing like yours.
So if Barry is your grandfish will his progeny be your great grandfish?

Linda said...

I'd think Barry was a DIVA with an attitude if I didn't KNOW that Barry is of course a boy!

Kelly Combs said...

Well thank goodness you hadn't flushed him! Land sakes!

This is a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

This was so funny...very glad I found your blog!

Judy said...

Yay for Barry!! (and yay for you with the Girlfriend)
My daughter brought a fish like Barry home with her last Christmas. His name was Joey. It was an 8 hour trip complete with an hour stop for supper. Note it was December in the Upper MidWest. When she got home, Joey wasn't moving. The water was cold. She went to flush him and as soon as he hit the warmer (?) toilet water, he started swimming! So she scooped him out and put him in her room. Sadly, Joey never fully recovered. He swam sideways. We think half his brain froze. I don't think he made it to Christmas Day before he went to the big fishbowl in the sky.

Sande said...

Harder to get great grands from your 'special' offspring although Barry does sound particulary clever ... :}

Jewel said...

Love the FISH story!!! LOL Barry just doesn't realize how close he came to meeting his WATERloo, hm? :-) So glad your DS didn't flush!

Amy@My Front Porch said...

Oh, this made me laugh!! My husband and I got a Beta fish together when we were dating -- his name was Duke and he looked just like the fish in your picture. He actually survived into our 2nd year of marriage but then he died and we flushed him. Hmm...maybe we should've waited to flush him? What if he was just hibernating!

Thena said...

Makes me wonder if Jordan did a switch-a-roo. Funny story.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Woman, you are nuts. An absolute hoot. Only you can tell such a story. The picture is very pretty.

Patrice said...

I really needed a good laugh! Wait, I am not laughing at the near death of Barry....I promise...just laughing!!