Friday, March 26, 2010

Flashback Friday




What was Easter like when you were little? For example, did you receive a basket with toys and candy? Was the Easter Bunny part of your family's celebration? Did your family integrate both secular and spiritual aspects of the day? Did you dye Easter eggs. . . .and did your family eat them afterwards? Did you usually get a new outfit? (Post a picture if you have one!) Does any Easter stand out particularly? You might also share how your Easter today is similar or different to your childhood?

Easter was a wonderful holiday for me when I was little. I was reared in a home of faith, so going to church and remembering the meaning of Easter was important.

Now that that important stuff is out of the way, let me just say I also loved Easter for the "most wrong" of reasons: les bonbons.

My mom was not the sentimental type when I was young. She bought the dime store baskets woven of plastic straw wrapped in cellophane, which, looking back seems kind of disappointing considering all I did for my kids in the way personalizing each basket which they've had assigned to them since their first Easters.

But I am not my mom.

Not yet, anyway. But give me a couple of years because every day I'm becoming her more and more. Just ask my husband.

Anyway.

I have to admit I loved my ugly yearly baskets. So thank you, Mother.

Also, I have an affinity for pastels, so Easter decor and colors appeal to me, except for the Peeps. I cannot do Peeps.

Every Easter my mom would buy me a new church outfit, usually a dress with matching hat, gloves and purse. Oh, and anklets and white patent-leather type shoes that went "tip tap" when I walked across the kitchen linoleum.

That enchanting "tip tap" almost catapulted me into my tap dancing career, except dancing was against the law in my church of origin, so I didn't get far. In fact, I only got as far as the church sidewalk where the adults gathered after church for talk for 17 hours. With a little blonde heretic tap dancing around them.

The best Easter I ever had was the year aliens invaded my mother's body, and she somehow decided to give my brother and me two live chicks and a duckling, which we kept in a cardboard box for a couple of weeks. Heaven for a few weeks. I LOVE baby chickens.

So here are some pics from Easters past. I will probably do a post closer to Easter to comment on the Easter finery. For now, simply gaze upon the awkward family photos.






Thanks, Linda, at Mocha With Linda!

18 comments:

Mary said...

Love the pics! I'm planning on doing an Easter post next week sometime. I love hearing other people's traditions!

SouthLakesMom said...

LOVE these photos - I have similar ones! The gloves -- I HATED the gloves! Now I'll have to dig them out and post.

At least you had a brother instead of a sister. I had to wear the matching 'little sister' outfit and then wear it again when I grew into the 'older' sister one. By then my sister had been awarded 'new' things. Thank you to a grandmother who was trying to turn us into 'ladies'...

Mocha with Linda said...

Oh yes, the white anklets and the white patent (and black in the fall) shoes. I always tried to dance too.
And I had gloves and a white purse with a wonderful chain handle. I was heartbroken when I lost that purse.

Loved the part about your mom. At least you got a basket! LOL

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Sooo do we want to know what eventually happen to the live chicks????

Wonderful memories!

Have a wonderful weekend and Easter season. My prayers are with you and your friend in the hospital.

Blessings
R

Jeanie said...

Hunting Easter eggs was always my favorite part. And I had all the same Easter finery. I live your pic...I have a very similiar one of my brother and me.

Joyce said...

I love the pics...I focused more on memories of my own children's Easter but I may dig out some photos of my own 'finery' and post about that next week.

Happy Easter!

Susanne said...

I used to hate the required white hat. With a passion, but I did love the tappy white shiny shoes and the little white purse. And I remember being dressed exactly the same as my 2 years younger sister. Hated that. And I remember the good Easter dinner and the little basket with Easter treats.

Love your pics.

skoots1mom said...

i just need to copy your pics for my post...ours were SO MUCH a like.
I found pics with dd making special easter-bunny-cupcake set her grammy had mailed...fun memories for sure!

2Thinks said...

I liked the tip tap shoes, too. But hated the tights and the stiffness of the new dresses with lace touching my neck.

I was all about the candy. Yep. It was the candy- solid milk chocolate bunny meant it had been a good year for dad at the plant.

Thank goodness my focus today is on Jesus and his love for little ol' me.

bp said...

Cute pictures! THey made me think of ones I've seen of myself. Oh yes, the tip tap shoes. I remember those :)

Betty said...

You were so cut with your little hat! :)

Marina said...

the first photo is just adorable!

Kim said...

The photo of an older you in straight white dress and blue ribbon around the waist is almost identical to one I had at about the same age. Ten or so? I loved the simplicity of that dress when my mom finally allowed me to choose something WITH ABSOLUTELY NO RUFFLES. lol

And the younger you? Also very familiar with the type of dresses I had as a child.

Mariel said...

what sweet pics..I remember the dresses and the straw easter hats, too!! Now I have sons so my Easter consists of ties and kackis. My family of origin was not believers, so Easter was a rare church day. Now as believers raising sons for Jesus, church is our typical Sunday, so Eatser is special as we remember what Jesus did! MUCH better Easters!! :)

Eternally Distracted said...

Until I was a teenager I though all Easter eggs came in just one half... I later found out that my Mum used to eat half, wrap it back up and put it inside the box... It scarred me for life ;0)

LuvtheWord said...

Black patent leather shoes with taps. :) A dress to match my older sister and a "bang trim" = horizontal in the middle of my brow (Mom!). An easter basket with green cellphane grass. And the best part ... sunrise service as a family just discovering that Easter was NOT what we thought it was. Beautiful!
- Julie

MichaƩle said...

Easter bunny brought a basket, new clothes for church and then a huge family gathering. We did the same with our own kids, now 14, 16 and 18, but no more huge family gthering. That is what I miss the most. Especially the pot luck. I love eating things other people make or bake. My own cooking is SO boring.

Joanne said...

Oh those pictures are classic, so definitive of an era. They bring back many sweet Easter memories! Thanks for sharing ...