Thursday, April 08, 2010

Commentary on The Random

1. Define a great relationship.

Notice I didn't set any boundaries for you here? I wanted the answer to be open to friendships, love relationships, spiritual ones, etc. You did not disappoint. I could collect these and publish them anonymously in one post, and you would be moved to tears. You all are great.

As for me, I'll focus right now on 5 markers of great friendship because I'm in the midst of saying goodbye to one friend and appreciating the way our tight group has rallied around her.



1. A great friendship has boundaries, but allows for the gentle reproach and not-so-subtle nudge from a friend to put on your big girl panties and grow up, take responsibility. Always speaking the truth in genuine love.

2. A great friendship allows you to be yourselves with each other, warts and all, which goes hand-in-hand with accountability and complete discretion. That kind of openness requires trust.

3. A great friendship requires a commitment of regularly spending time together. I know it's difficult with long-distance friendships, but in today's wide wonderful world of the web, there isn't an excuse for abandonment. I'm working on this now with another friend whom I have sadly, inexcusably, neglected. No more.

4. A great friendship fosters laughter, a balm for so many aches, physical and emotional. You rejoice together over the great things in life. Or just the weird things in life!

5. A great, beautiful friendship inspires you to lift each other up, pray for each other and step up to do difficult things for/with each other.

That's what I'm seeing in action. And it is incredible. I am so blessed.

2. Why is it called a "drive-through" if you have to stop? (Real question: What was the last food/drink you purchased at a drive-through?)

McDonald's frappe and yogurt parfait. I must be in the mood for foods that end in "ay." They're so French and everything. "McDon-yay Cuisine." Sounds more clever than it looks. Go ahead, say it aloud, class.

3. As I type this, the Butler Bulldogs are getting ready to play in the NCAA championship game. Every Hoosier is hysterical about this except me. So in honor of the Bulldogs ... what is your favorite breed of dog? (I tried.)

Yorkies because:

1. They fit in compact places.


2. They help your children with homework.


3. But occasionally they "go bad" and pose for the canine equivalent of Play*boy.


4. They are cheap to feed. This cracker lasted her a week.



4. If you had to move to a state besides the one you currently live in, where would you move?

Florida.

5. If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?

I wish that my parents had been more strict in some areas and less in others. I wish I could have spent more time with my dad, but he worked long hours and was tired when he was home. Now we're making up for that in many ways. I am so grateful for the home life that I had.

6. Who's the funniest person you know?

Jorge the Jabanero. Plus, he's hawt. Seriously, he made me laugh so much in school that I was drawn to him for that besides the fact that he was cute. He has always made me laugh.



7. Did you get enough sleep last night?

Enough? Yes. Peaceful? No. I have a running commentary going on all night long in my head. It is ridiculous.

8. What's the first thing you thought about this morning?

"Brown stuff. Warm. Wake up." (Coffee)

9. Grilled or Fried? --HONESTLY

Oh, you all are so sophisticated in your healthy lifestyles, aren't you? Aren't you?? Most all of you said, "Grilled." I thought I would say fried, but then someone mentioned charcoal flavor, and that turned my little blonde head the other di-rection. I think I might actually prefer grilled. But old-fashioned fried chicken like someone's grandma other than mine used to make? Delicious.

10. Are you afraid of the dark?

No. Occasionally when I'm driving in the dark, I get spooked if I let my imagination run to the "what if someone were hiding in the backseat" scene.

11. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

A teacher. Almost made it, too; earned the degree and everything. But I chose another path. No real regrets.

12. If you had one word to describe yourself, what would you choose?

Analytical. Question for you: How would you describe me in one word? Wait! Don't answer that!

24 comments:

Jill said...

Love your answers! Come on down to Florida, there's room for a few more people! And I'm so sorry I linked myself twice. Just goes to show that after midnight I should be in bed, not on the internet. Have a great day!

Mary said...

The pictures of your baby are adorable! Loved your definition of a great relationship. So true.

samurai said...

You are Mega-silly. Loved the answer to the relationships and your favorite type of dog. Helped wake me up as i am sipping my Mega-Gulp of Coke.

Have a great day Linda.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

Loved reading your answers. Since this was my first Random dozen I have enjoyed reading everyones and seeing how people interpret the question...and yes...I too debated over the fried chicken one...but I really do love the taste of charcoaled food...always have.

SusanD said...

Love the pic of your GG. I think of Diane often and continue to pray for her...and you. Your definition of friendship is spot on. I'm going to use it. Hey. You've gotten a lot of mileage out of the pic of Zoe with the Ritz cracker. lol. In a word? Creative. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Sarah said...

I really enjoyed joining in my first Random Dozen. Your Yorkie is cute (NB: if you like things Yorkshire try a Giant Yorkshire pudding filled with meat, veg, chips* and gravy) (*fries). Mmmm, yummy, lol.

Sarah

Joyce said...

How about complex? I like that word. When I told my hubs stubborn was no good he said I was complex. I'm taking that as a compliment. You should too.

McDonalds in France is still McDonalds. They do serve beer though which puts a little European stamp on things. A language instructor told me if you add -ay to the end of an English word in France that about 50% of the time you'll be right so I think you're on to something.

Love the puppy picture...makes me smile every time.

2Thinks said...

Oh that Zoe- such a teensy photogenic furball. I appreciated your exposition on relationships. Your friend is about to enter the world where Life is really going on- the one I'm learning to look forward to more and more each day, lately. It's beautiful the way you and your friends are getting her through the end of this world- the one that never satisfies. You are a very good friend.

One word for you, Lid. Grounded. And that is a very good place to be. (I do not mean grounded, as in because you did something wrong- I'm talking about grounded in Jesus- but you knew that, right?)

The Bug said...

Every time I see Zoe I think "I want one!" One of these days it just might happen (although my husband and I are NOT small people & I'd be paranoid that I'd step on her).

I like fried best, but it doesn't like me anymore. So in small doses...

One word? Hmmm - I'm gonna be flippant & say photogenic (it's true!)

Jeanie said...

Great pictures to enhance your answers. Your markers of a great friendship were right on.

Mocha with Linda said...

I loved your answers. #1 was precious.

Except you should have said you would move to Texas. Hmmpff. :-)

Susanne said...

Your definition of a great relationship was beautiful! I think of your friend Dianne alot and continue to pray for her and for all you girls.

I'm with you on the grilled/fried question. Love grilled but if it's a choice between that and my mom's fried chicken, the fried will win every time.

edshunnybunny said...

Loved, loved, loved the doggie pics--especially the one with the leaf...I liked the cracker one, too. Thanks so much for hosting these Random Dozen each week. I've met so many new friends since joining in--so many nice people--except for Budweiser. LOL

Betty said...

Such a great definition of a good relationship/friendship. So true.
And your dog is adorable! I change my answer to a Yorkie! :)

Sweet Tea said...

I wish you would publish the friendship answers in one of your Blog posts. Great idea!!

I am moved by your strong group of friends and how you are doing the "difficult" for your beloved friend.

Love that darn dog.
How cute is that!!
Thanks for the smile!!

Kim said...

Wonderful analysis of #1, Ms. Analytical :-)
Loved the photo essay with #3. Too cute!
Amen to #5.
Such a great picture of you and Jorge!
Fun questions!

Just Breathe said...

Wow, excellent detailed answers.
Thank you for sharing and hosting Random Dozen.

SouthLakesMom said...

I would say to describe you

Genuine

Blessings, K

Cortney said...

I absolutely hate the what if someone were in the backseat feeling.

auburnchick said...

Sorry, but I'm a rebel in my adult life, making up for being a good girl as a youngster.

I would describe you as personable.

Though we've never met IRL, if we did, I don't think you'd snub me. You seem very down-to-earth...a people person.

BTW, I've been praying for you and your friend. I sense that I don't need to say this, but I will anyhow...

May you sense God's arms of strength around all of you during this time.

Hugs!

2cats said...

You didn't need a post about a great relationship to bring me to tears. Your description is so true and accurate that i did have the tears.
I have a long distance friendship with my best friend. We talk at least once a day sometimes 3 times a day. It depends on what is going on and how much we need each other.
I know it is hard to say good bye to one that you love so dearly and I pray for you everyday.

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

Heroine....you're kind of one of mine, so that's how I guess I'd describe you. But not in a creepy, stalker way. In a way that means sweet, loyal, friendly, grounded, daughter of the king, someone to be admired and a friend that would be good to have-way...

The "Quiet" One... said...

Here I am a beat behind, yet again! My goal next week is to do the meme AND the comments on the same day...we'll see. Anyway, Loved your answers. Can't wait to see what you come up with next week. These are such a stress reliever for me. Oh and thank you for your comment. Happy weekend my friend :o)

Edie said...

I love your description of a great relationship.

Zoe is always adorable. I thought that was her impression of Eve. :)

Great picture of you and Jorge.

Have a great weekend!