Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday Flashback: I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together




Tell about TV when you were growing up. Did your family have a TV? Was it color or b&w? How many TVs did your family have? Did you have one in your room? Did your family leave the TV on most of the day or turn it on for specific programs? Was the TV on or off when you ate meals as a family? Were there rules about watching TV? What were your favorite shows? Are there any particular memories you have of TV in your younger years?

I assume my family was like most middle American families in the 1970s, my true growing up years (since I graduated in 1981).

We had one television set (remember when they were called that?) on one end of the the living room, a room in which we lived, not a fancy-schmancy room, encased in a genuine wood grain look console or cabinet. We always had a mirror over the top of the TV.

We really had no viewing rules, and yes, the thing was on night and day. You can imagine the influence all that unguarded viewing had on me. To this day, I still believe I can move my furniture around by twitching my nose.










My favorite childhood TV program would have to be the Carol Burnett show. Each Saturday night, I would get my bath and then sit in front of my mom who would roll my hair up in pincurls or up in these strange pink rubber curlers pictured here with Dippity Do, and I would watch Carol Burnett.

That show made pincurls painless. I can see now that my sense of humor was intact even back then, as I preferred those comedy sketches to anything else on TV, and I was very little. Somehow, I "got it." And I as I grew, I learned to recognize the old movies she would spoof in sketches, such as Joan Crawford in "Mildred Fierce" for "Mildred Pierce" or Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard.
















Thanks, Linda, for stirring the memories. I hadn't thought about console TVs in a long time. You know, I think I prefer them to the stark black metal glass stands everyone uses now. Bring back the wood grain look!



Dippity-Do
Uploaded by Killer_Tomato. - Classic TV and last night's shows, online.

15 comments:

Joyce said...

The nice thing about the console was it was an actual piece of furniture...you could put stuff on top of it...now you need an entire blank wall to hang your tv. But I'm not complaining about the hd quality...better than the fuzzy b & w.

We loved Carol Burnett at our house too. We share some similar memories. My dog has huge eyes and sometimes my hubs and I call her Norma Desmond because she makes us think of that sketch...loved the curtain rod in the dress!

I didn't play today because my daughter is turning 20 and I wanted to write about her. I'm enjoying reading the memories though. Have a nice weekend!

Maribeth said...

I'm a tad older than you, but I loved that time too! Carol Burnett is my favorite. If you haven't read her new book, go on out and grab it and then prepare yourself for a great read!

barbarah said...

I loved Carol Burnett -- my all-time favorite was the "Went With the Wind" spoof of GWTW, especially the dress made from the curtain.

Mocha with Linda said...

My mom never used Dippity Do, but I remember the ads! We also had pincurls with bobby pins and the same squishy pink rollers!

My folks didn't care for Carol Burnett, so we never watched that one. My mom hated comedy.

SusanD said...

Oh, I used to love watching Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie. Their scheduling time was close together. The Carol Burnett show was awesome LIVE TV! I never did understand why she tugged her ear at the end of each show. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, SusanD

Susanne said...

I wish the dusting and mending would get done by twitching my nose.

We had the wood grain console too. And Carol Burnett was a staple at our house. As was Flintstones, I Dream of Jeannie & Brady Bunch.

Melanie @ This Ain't New York said...

Carol was my childhood here! (Her and Wonder Woman.)

I pretended to be Mrs. Wiggins many, many times.

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

I loved The Carol Burnette Show and The Ed Sullivan, those were two of my favorites. Those were the days when TV was something the entire family could watch and you didn't have to worry about ratings and the kids seeing something they shouldn't. thanks for sharing

Amy said...

I loved Carol Burnett, and Mrs. Wiggins (more so her boss) would make appearances at my house too. I also love the old guy that shuffled his feet and moved really slow.

Funny memories

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Who doesn’t love the carol Burnett Show?????

Mrs. Wiggins and Eunice, that spoof on Gone With the Wind and the curtain rod sticking out from her shoulders…

Wish they showed re-runs of her show on television now, if they do I cant find it!!!

Blessings
R

Martha in PA said...

I love the old console TVs... I remember our first COLOR console! I was a huge fan of Carol Burnett too, and Red Skelton. You mean you can't move furniture by twitching your nose? LOL, I still sit and watch the reruns some afternoons!!!

Connie said...

We are the same age as I graduated in 1981 too. I absolutely loved the Carol Burnett show. My favorite skits were Mr. Tudball and Mrs. Wiggins but really anything where Tim Conway cracked up Harvey Korman was good! It was even better when Tim Conway got tickled.
The TV's did look really great back then and so did the stereos. My mom and dad still have their old huge wood grain stero/record player/tape player in their living room. As for the old television, remember trying to watch one of the UHF channels or ABC on a stormy day? You would get the antenna just right and then take your hand off and the picture wouldn't work. You had to choose between standing there with your hand on the antenna or changing the channel! I don't miss that at all!

Jerralea said...

How'd you get a picture of my console tv? We had that exact one when we got married. We had it for about 13 years before it bit the dust ...

I loved Carol Burnett. Wish it was still on ...

Kim said...

My sister and I have baby fine hair and my mom used GOBS of Dippity Do in an attempt to give us curls -- along with enough AquaNet to create a huge hole in the ozone.

Shawna said...

I also loved Carol. :) She was a riot! And those huge TVs are very nice looking unless you have to move a lot. I miss staying put in one house for your whole life! Being in student ministry and moving all over creation is for the birds. :P