Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Interesting Moment at Hobby Lobby

Love the Lobby.

Anyway.

I was in the store the other day and noticed a family of people who were deaf, two parents and a child. For just a moment, I thought about the challenges they must face daily, and I admired their happy demeanors as they chatted aloud and signed in the store. Not a drop of self-consciousness. Made me smile on the inside.

We happened to exit at the same time, and right outside stood a Salvation Army bell ringer. Earlier, I had noticed as I entered the store (as I had also the night before), that his "Merry Christmas" wishes seemed a little off somehow, a little ill-timed, but I had been in a hurry in the snow both times and did not stop to try to figure out what was slightly off-kilter. But on this night, exiting with the family, he did it again, and I looked into his face and realized, "He is blind."

So the people behind me who couldn't hear the bell ringer or the bell, wished the bell ringer, who could not see them, a merry Christmas, and vice-versa.

For some reason, I was very touched by this.

I'm not sure why God had me there at just that moment to witness that, but I think there was a reason. I've been thinking and thinking about it.

What do you think?

Don't forget to come back tomorrow and link up to share a pic of your tree and a significant ornament or two.


13 comments:

Debbie's L'Bri said...

Maybe God wanted you to think outside of the box on what you are to be grateful for. Maybe God wants you to realize that every persons life is good.

Just some random thoughts.

SouthLakesMom said...

What a beautiful gift God gave you, reminding you of the precious Gift Christmas is -- and he gave the reminder to YOU at that moment because he knew you'd come here and share it!

Thank you! Have a blessed day!

mtnest423 said...

Your post this morning made me cry. I have been struggling this season with negativity and depression, and when I read about your experience, I realized that there are lots bigger problems in this world than the ones I am facing.

So, if the Lord had no other reason than for you to be there and blog about it, I am thankful.

But...I think that more than just this one heart will be touched. Thanks for sharing.

bensrib said...

2 Corinthians 4:17

Mocha with Linda said...

That is so touching. Thanks for giving us a peek.

annette said...

What a sweet gift you saw and shared! I love it when God gives us eyes to see glimpses of His Kingdom. Definitely what this season of Love is about. Thanks for making my morning.

LynnMarie said...

You were ment to witness them and pass that on to us so that we can be thankful for our eyes that see and ears that hear. Then to ask ourselfs if we do (see and hear that is).

Catherine said...

A very precious moment in time and definitely a gift from God that brings Him all the glory.

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

I loved this story. I have some very special friends who are deaf....and my daughter teaches special ed students and can sign and do braille. My deaf friend once told me that I sang beautifully.....I thought that was odd...because she could not hear....but she quickly added....she heard me with her heart. I have cherished that comment for years. God Bless you today.

Angie said...

What a great moment! I thought to myself, "Isn't it interesting how they are not hindered from celebrating Christmas, despite their handicaps." Then I thought, "Nothing can hinder us from the love of God. It's His gift to us wrapped in human flesh." Such a great picture of that love!

Romans 8:38-39
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Recovering Church Lady said...

Very touching moment. There is definitely a story there isn't there? Keep pondering and let us know ok?

Melanie said...

I don't know the reason but I love that it happened.
It's really a beautiful moment even in the retelling.

Lillie Mae Acres said...

This is so touching to my heart. The struggles that people go through day to day yet they don't let it take over and destroy them. We are all so blessed by God, no matter what our lives hold. Thank you for sharing this. Merry Christmas.